baritone ukulele ?

nukealaily

Reaction score
hi

just wondering if anyone here has one ? how much you use it ? what sort would you recommend ?

i have a mahalo uk320c - and it plays fine - sometimes the bridge pings off when it gets too hot here , but it seems ok when i glue it back . im also thinking of getting a new electric concert or tenor uke .

what would you suggest ?

thanks for taking the time to respond . i'll appreciate all input . :)

hi

just wondering if anyone here has one ? how much you use it ? what sort would you recommend ?

i have a mahalo uk320c - and it plays fine - sometimes the bridge pings off when it gets too hot here , but it seems ok when i glue it back . im also thinking of getting a new electric concert or tenor uke .

what would you suggest ?

thanks for taking the time to respond . i'll appreciate all input . :)

I have one. I've been playing it a lot lately, but it goes in spurts. Sometimes I'll play the concert uke more, or the guitar.

I have a Bushman Cedar Tone that I got used. I like it a lot, but they're hard to find now. I've heard the solid mahogany Ohana ukes aren't bad for the money. I would try to get an all solid uke. You can check the uke out in some of my videos in the YouTube link below.

Gerald

I have a Lanikai LU21-B Nato Baritone.

It was pretty cheap, and sounds great. I bought it because I wasn't sure how much I'd like playing it, and I didn't want to get an expensive one that would just end up gathering dust, but I didn't want something that would fall apart or sound crappy either. I think the Lanikai was an excellent comprimise. I'd say I play it just as much as my tenor now. It has great volume and excellent resonance and timbre.

I am definitely considering a purchase of a mahogany or spruce model now, but that's at least three uke purchases away...

yes, I play baritone

I started with a Kala Baritone and bought it because I was impressed by how jazzy a tone it had and how it fit my hands better than the guitars I had struggled with. Later I bought a Kala Koa electric and put Aguila GCEA baritone strings on my first Kala. Later I bought a Bushman Jenny and I still have it. I've been happy with all but the Bushman is like a Martin, to me. It's so sweet and the neck is fast. You know you can play any uke chords or tabs and it will just be in another key.

The funny thing is that I have gotten into the tenor which has the advantage that it's easier for me to play some long stretch chords and I've gotten used to the higher sound. I have a Bushman tenor and love it. It too is sweet and fast. But then again I have a Kala tenor archtop.

Last night I was playing some jazz on my Bushman baritone and it made me think of the baritone sax, Art Pepper. So there you have it: the tenor is the tenor sax and the baritone uke is the baritone sax. That makes a concert an alto and a soprano a soprano. I guess a sopranino is a picolo.

Check ebay for a Favilla baritone in good shape. Can't beat it.

I have an old Aria baritone that used to belong to my grandfather. Made in Japan, solid spruce top, solid rosewood sides/back. Pretty sweet, actually! It was the first uke I ever played, and every so often I pick it up when I'm in the mood for some strumming or when I want to play guitar without actually playing a guitar. ;) The Ko'olau Gold strings on it sound super jazzy and mellow. If it had more than 15 frets I'd play it a lot more.

If I were in the market for a new one, I'd look at Pono/Ko'olau.

I have two Ohana baritone here. the BK-20ce and the BK-32... the 32 is solid mahogany and sounds wonderful. It is a beautiful instrument and was featured in Ukulele Player Magazine a while back. I will be featuring the BK-20ce in a coming issue.

I have a new solid mahogany pineapple uke from Ohana that is going to be featured and I have a CK-25 that is also going to be featured in the near future.

I have two Ohana baritone here. the BK-20ce and the BK-32... the 32 is solid mahogany and sounds wonderful. It is a beautiful instrument and was featured in Ukulele Player Magazine a while back. I will be featuring the BK-20ce in a coming issue.

I have a new solid mahogany pineapple uke from Ohana that is going to be featured and I have a CK-25 that is also going to be featured in the near future.

I just checked out your Ukulele Player Magazine, it's awesome. Thanks for your efforts and for pointing it out!

I bought a Kala mango baritone late last year. While I didn't know the chords in DGBE tuning, I quickly adapted because the shapes are the same.

I found that I write different types of songs on the baritone than I do on the GCEA ukes. My baritone songs sound more folk-rock because I think the guitar-ish sound makes me gravitate towards darker music.

I've got the Mahalo U320B, and it sucks. But I play it every day.

Top Bottom