Craft In America

peanuts56

Reaction score
I was watching a PBS Series last week called Craft In America and they did an hour on making instruments.
The first segment was on Kamaka Ukulele. My first high end ukulele is a Kamaka Tenor. Several family members are interviewed as well as Jake.
The second segment was on Monette Trumpets. Having been a trumpet major in college it was right up my alley as well.
Martin Guitars was featured as well as a luthier who made banjos. I can't remember his name. He made a minstrel banjo for Rhianna Giddens.
The episode is from 2015 I think. Sam Kamaka mentions that the company will be celebrating their 100th anniversary the next year.
You can find the episode on the PBS website for the series. Season 7, episode 1.

Those were excellent episodes. Well worth watching.

The second YouTube link is from the episode I was talking about. The whole show is interesting. As a trumpeter I found the Monette section interesting. Monette trumpets are used by may top name players. Most notably Wynton Marsalis, Maynard Ferguson played them the last few years of his life as well.
It's a fascinating series that my wife and I watch regularly. My wife is Hawaii born and raised and also a master quilter having learned from her mother. Quilting is extremely popular in Hawaii. We saw a recent episode on that art form. Extremely interesting.

Saw it too. Glad to see that our interest is being presented more and more.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom