PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer to sing AND play, or just do instrumentals?

ChiyoDad
03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
YAS!! (Yet another survey)

This one is to satisfy my curiosity but I'm sure other folks may find its results interesting.

I don't sing. I just play instrumentals ... which is why I probably prefer fingerstyle. I wanted to find out what other folks strongest preferences are.

So, do you just play ... or do you sing and play?

Dino
03-24-2008, 10:23 AM
For me, I play and sing. I give ultimate props to all of you with the fast fingers. I guess at 42 my arthritis is setting in.....nah, but I can't imagine trying the lightning fast runs and stretches across 6-7 frets.

WS64
03-24-2008, 10:26 AM
I know how I sound when I sing.
And I know how my ukulele playing sounds.
So I just do one of those.

russ_buss
03-24-2008, 10:26 AM
i like to play and sing. this carries over from my guitar habits as well. but would really like to learn to pick a little better. i'm inspired by all the great videos on this website.

UKESTAR
03-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Would sing if I could....:(

hotnanas
03-24-2008, 10:31 AM
i think scratching a chalk board sounds better than me singing. so i just pick at the uke...

tripl3thr33
03-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Would sing if I could....:(

same here. im not that great at picking either but since i cant sing, its my preferred choice.

experimentjon
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
I like to sing and play. But only when nobody is listening...because I don't sing very well. :p

h-drix
03-24-2008, 02:39 PM
i think scratching a chalk board sounds better than me singing.

123, BUT i like singing anyways cause is fun. im fine singing in front of others, except for my voice is horrible. i can barely talk correctly, lol.

Ian Boys
03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
aww.. do I have to pick?

I just love... playing... entertaining.... having an excuse to pick up my uke (of course.... who needs an excuse?)

I honestly can't choose between the two.... I love instrumental work, but singing is more fun in a way....

Gah.... I give up.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Instrumentals haha ^^

Im the worst at singing!! I like to song fast songs like bonethugs because it doesn't need any talent really. :D

ukusaurus
03-24-2008, 07:42 PM
I enjoy singing and playing at the same time but I'm an absolutely horrible singer. When I play for my friends or family and I bust out my horrible singing voice but maintain a smile on my face I can usually get a good laugh out of everybody. I use my bogus singing as more of a laugh factor.

NotoriousMOK
03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
I like to sing and play. But only when nobody is listening...because I don't sing very well. :p

It seems Jon and I are twins in this area :o

ukusaurus
03-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Just use your horrible singing to your advantage. A lot of people won't take you seriously for playing a uke in the first place so why take your singing seriously too right? Maybe its just me..

dakine2009
03-24-2008, 08:38 PM
sing and play...for sure...even though my singing sucks...lol.

14twelve
03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Instrumental definitely. My singing sucks, so there's no way I'd ever sing in front of anyone.

ChiyoDad
03-25-2008, 04:40 AM
http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/entertainment/07/05/22_simoncowell_lgl.jpg

I was actually expecting the singers to edge-out the instrumentalists by a smidgen. I wonder if this guy has made folks a lot more conscious about whether or not what they do can be defined as "singing" (versus "howl", "wail", "primal scream", et al).

Judging from many of the eliminated contestants on American Idol, my guess is "Not!".

mcarreon89
03-25-2008, 09:40 AM
i honestly cant choose between the twoo...i guess it depends on the mood...sometimes the grace of just ukulele is the best sound in the world. specially when whoever playing is good at it...but the sound of two things going at once (voice and uke) can be aamazing as well...just like percussion and melody or bass and melody...personally i guess if whatever im playing sounds better without me...then thats how i like it better. and that is usually the case...and most times laziness to sing comes into affect....BOTH ARE FUN

Snow
03-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Sing and play of course. Can't let that forced 6 months of vocal lessons go to waste. ;)

KAWIKA27
03-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I like to do both, when its late i go instrumental, but in the day i sing and play

davoomac
03-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Idk, I love to do both of them, even though I'm terrible at singing.

Esy
03-27-2008, 12:00 AM
I do only instrumentals :D I am not a good singer :p but sometime a sing reggae or do some freestyle rap :D

nikolo727
03-27-2008, 04:56 AM
i would like to sing and play but some people i have seen are great at playing but just completely destroy the song with their singing.

lol

i kinda just like playing a song.

a couple of my friends sing so whenever i play they just sing the song lol.

ill just put in some backup vocals and stuff but it sounds really cool im not gonna lie.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
I think one of my fears would be singing infront of people - because i get embarrassed easy when i know i suck and i wouldn't come out of my house if that happened :S

Jimmy
03-29-2008, 02:30 AM
I find it difficult to sing and play. When I play with my friends I'd only sing if I'm playing a really simple chord progression. I think my brain always trys to connect what I'm doing. So I can type quickly at a computer, because I'm just thinking and writing, but my dreams of playing jazz piano were crushed because I can't play the piano for nothing. In music class I had to practice a two minute long piece which I could sight-read just as well (If not better) on my uke.

I don't think I'm good enough to go up and play instrumentals on my own yet. I don't get stage fright, but I just don't think I'm good enough. I mean, I've only been self-teaching myself since October.

diezo808
03-30-2008, 11:36 AM
i'm not a good soloist. i like to strum a couple songs to warm up and kinda hum. when i start getting into it, i'm sure my neighbors down the street can hear me singing. it doesn't matter if you can sing or not. it DOES matter that it's coming from the heart, and that you're having a good time. that will relax everyone else around and they will start singing. makes your job easier.

Kanaka916
03-30-2008, 03:20 PM
it doesn't matter if you can sing or not. it DOES matter that it's coming from the heart, and that you're having a good time. that will relax everyone else around and they will start singing.
I do agree with that, no matter if you can't sing just carry the tune and everything will flow together. Like us guys, when we kanikapila on Friday evenings, when somebody mess up on the melody or whateva, we laugh little bit then press on. For us, it's more about gettin together, talk story and have one good time. I think it's just as important to enjoy those moments.

Misguided Musician
03-30-2008, 05:44 PM
I used to be instrumental but now I like to sing and play even though my singing is pretty bad.

ukemike
03-31-2008, 10:50 AM
sing and play

though others around me might prefer I just play. ;-}

Poi Dog
03-31-2008, 01:44 PM
I'd love to able to sing and play - but I can't sing for nothin'! :D

tad
04-07-2008, 06:27 PM
I decided to play ukulele so I could accompany myself. I'm not good enough a singer to just sing, but I think I'm good enough to be mediocre at both playing and singing and get away with both.

Of course, I listen to different music than most people on this board, so that may be part of it-- I really like the indie and punk bands that've incorporated ukulele. I don't wanna be Jake Shimabukuro or Lionel Smeck or Cliff Edwards or Herb Ota-- I just wanna be Stephen Merritt. Not the best player, not the best singer, but a damn good songwriter, and that holds the two together.

All that said, I've only been playing for around three months or so, and I'm just starting to get to the point where I can play and sing along-- it's hard to keep two patterns in your head at once, like that...

Plainsong
04-07-2008, 11:24 PM
I can't yet walk and chew gum when it comes to uke playing, so I just play. I do sing and I do play, but not at the same time yet. :)

menehunenyc
04-08-2008, 04:51 AM
I prefer to do both, mostly because I've been singing alot-lot longer than I've been playing the uke. In fact, it would be safe to say that because my playing is so average, I count on my singing to raise the bar on the performance. So lately I've been learning more songs that involve playing the melody, to improve my soloing and picking skills. Its hard work, aarrrgh...

CYNICALifornia
04-08-2008, 05:27 AM
I like to sing and play.

I wonder is that's because I have to sing to make up for my lack of talent on the Uke . . .

virginia_barkley
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I feel ya, tad.

I'm not trying to be a virtuoso (couldn't even dream of doing so). I just enjoy playing and singing for friends and family, whether they want to hear it or not.

deach
04-10-2008, 01:36 PM
:( :( I can't do either....

Howlin Hobbit
04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
The poll is worded in that either/or fashion and I like to do both, though I do more playing and singing than straight instrumental stuff.

All you guys and gals complaining about your singing. Tsk. I'm not exactly noted for my dulcet tones and I get out there and sing. Don't compare yourself to some opera diva or something. You don't have to be some sort of vocal gymnast to sing. Just choose songs that are within your range, transpose the uke chords if necessary, and sing.

Plus, singing is good for you. It releases endorphins -- that morphine analog that your brain produces -- and gets you nice, relaxed and a trifle high. Endorphins are what the "runner's high" is all about.

My mom went to a seminar for church choirs (a long time ago) and one of the speakers pointed out the endorphin thing. He said, "So, you're not supposed to sing when you feel like it, you're supposed to sing until you feel like it."

4strings707
04-11-2008, 07:45 AM
I love to learn songs. Some have words, some don't. Either way, I love both.