PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

toubisard
06-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Help me someone please I've caught U.A.S. identified all over the planet as an unreasonable urge to by any old Ukulele. It started with a T.V. advert (the background music was played on a Ukulele) the advert was for a washing up soap called small and mighty. My god I'm messed up! Help me! Any way I bought a Ukulele bright yellow with black strings. I couldn't stop my self. I showed it to the guys at the music club and they all laughed at me and said never. A month later I played lead opener and they all slavishly backed me. Then I bought another Uke and gave it to a friend then a bigger one then another came my way. My wife tried to stop me but, what the hell she goes grocery shopping. I even hung a ukulele from a tree at the bottom of the garden. I've got one in my car in my shed, at work. I have pulled one to bits and I have rebuilt two and I have just bought three more to fiendishly experiment with, one gets narrowed, one electrically amplified and the last one gets a bigger sound hole. Please tell me that I'm O.K.
I've got a unnatural desire to become a ukulele manufacturer with a huge machine for creating Ukuleles. HELP....

sukie
06-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Sorry. We can't help you here. We can enable you, but we can't help.

ukantor
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
There is no cure, but talking helps. You are among friends.

My name is John Colter, and I am a uke-aholic.

toubisard
06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm really messed up but so so glad you're out there for me.
What do I do next?

KC8AFW
06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm really messed up but so so glad you're out there for me.
What do I do next?

Buy another ukulele...it helps to ease the pain.:rolleyes: Especially if its unusual (or at least one you don't already have).:D

danged
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I would think 99% of the people on UU has U.A.S. :smileybounce: Join the club.

haole
06-09-2009, 01:59 PM
In this economy, it's not worth spending money on researching a cure for UAS. It's a lot cheaper to buy ukes and feed the addiction.

Plus, the more UAS sufferers, the better. This way, your significant other won't think you're an isolated case; you can tell him/her you're just one of many nutjobs on UU who can't stop.

Good strategies include getting defensive or indignant when someone questions your obsession. "How dare you trivialize my condition! Thousands of people go through the same symptoms and believe it or not, it HURTS inside!" Play the guilt card. Also, try to spread the UAS to people close to you, so they won't look at you funny or make your credit card mysteriously disappear.

Lori
06-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I say, passion is good. I think UAS can be contagious. If you have someone who is susceptible nearby (guitar players, banjo, etc) infect them and you won't look as weird. After all, if you substituted ukulele with the word "car" would your activities seem more normal?

If you go with your passion, you will hopefully find a way to make it pay for itself. Necessity is the mother of invention after all. Maybe you will create the next great thing in uke manufacturing!

–Lori

HoldinCoffee
06-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Ukulele Apologists! There are valid reasons to have closet full of ukes. Different tunings, sizes, sounds... I don't hear golfers accepting some sort of illness just because they take 14 different clubs on the course. Its not an illness, its a... necessity.

UKISOCIETY
06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I've never heard of UAS, but I'm intrigued. Please, tell me more...

strum4ever
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I can certainly understand UAS, ukuleles are just as much fun to shop for as they are to play! :music:

hoosierhiver
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Ukuleles are cheaper than the therapy.

Witters
06-09-2009, 04:14 PM
If I had wall to wall Ukulele's I would still want more - is that UAS or greed?:o

KC8AFW
06-09-2009, 05:04 PM

I thought ukuleles were the therapy. ;)

Spooner
06-09-2009, 05:41 PM
One very effective tool to help combat this disease is to....

STAY OFF OF EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebay is the devil!!!!!!!!

trizzle333
06-09-2009, 06:28 PM
haha I know what you mean. I've had this overwhelming urge lately to build my own uke, and I often find myself having to tear myself away from playing in order to do other things.

toubisard
06-10-2009, 02:07 AM
You're all so kind ...sob... I thought I was alone...sob... I know I can be a better person.. What do I do about the Ukulele I left hanging on the tree?

THOUGHT

Extreme ukulele playing as a sport. Tell me it will be O.K. dear friends.

ukantor
06-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Extreme uke, eh? A friend of mine climbed the three tallest peaks in Great Britain in twenty-four hours, and played his uke at the top of them all.

But he's not planning to do it again anytime soon.

John C.

ps. I just ordered another uke - please stop me before I do it again!

toubisard
06-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Why don't we start to post pictures of Ukuleles in extreme sport or extreme places. We can monitor U.A.S. at the same time. It will serve as a diversion and help U.A.S. sufferers to focus on the ukulele in hand rather than be tormented by the search for that slightly better instrument.
I'm with you Ukanator don't be tempted by that demon ukulele. Focus...focus...focus...remember angels play ukuleles in heaven and they only get one each. (the harp thing is a myth)

Spooner
06-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Speaking of UAS...when will I ever learn...

There's a nice Pono tenor for sale at Fleamarket Music for fo huned dahdahs:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/images/market/47459-078.JPG

Please someone talk me off of the ledge of purchase!!! :eek:

ukantor
06-10-2009, 09:15 PM
JUMP; JUMP; JUMP!

John Colter (Ukantor)

Pippin
06-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I say, passion is good. I think UAS can be contagious. If you have someone who is susceptible nearby (guitar players, banjo, etc) infect them and you won't look as weird. After all, if you substituted ukulele with the word "car" would your activities seem more normal?

If you go with your passion, you will hopefully find a way to make it pay for itself. Necessity is the mother of invention after all. Maybe you will create the next great thing in uke manufacturing!

–Lori

This is Pricelsss! Yes, Infect them, precious. Infect them we will.

toubisard
06-10-2009, 10:42 PM
If you're standing on the ledge don't jump brother. Join us down at The Holy Sect of the Ecstatic Flagellation. Remember angels in paradise get issued with one ukulele each. Remember that you to can conquer you're personal demons by the cleverly devised Ecstatic Flagellation program. All you need is a town square a surreal sense of humour and a hand full of old C strings. Don't jump seek enlightenment. You too can play Ukulele with a clear conscience.

ichadwick
06-11-2009, 02:13 AM
I've got a unnatural desire to become a ukulele manufacturer with a huge machine for creating Ukuleles. HELP....
Ah! A nascent luthier in our midst. I can't offer to help your UAS, merely to share your pain. Mine has led me to the current collection of a dozen, plus at least six others I've traded, sold or given away in the past year. And I still want MORE!
My only suggestion is to give the wife/partner/spouse/hubbie/friend/significant other/co-vivant the credit card and use filtering software to block all ukulele-related sites on the Net.
Meanwhile, practice those luthiery skills...

toubisard
06-13-2009, 09:13 AM
It was announced last night that Toubisard has entered a monastery in the hope of finding a cure for U.A.S. The Holy Brothers of the Ecstatic Flagellation have offered a small cell and a simple Ukulele for an unstated period of time. Sources close to the sect have stated that Toubisard has committed himself (ie. before he could be committed by his doctor) and will devote his time at the monastery to seeking the inner calm needed to cure U.A.S. When asked if he was going to follow a diet of bread and water Toubisard has been reported as saying, 'not bloody likely, I am Welsh you know and this is a wine producing region'. The world eagerly awaits the results of his sacrifice.

uknavynigel
11-17-2013, 06:42 PM
i know its an old thread but its still relevant and spreading,
i started to learn to uke at the beginning of the year and advanced from my puka pheonix soprano
to my mainland red cedar concert
and now looking at risa solid electric tenor.

you tend to find similar outbreaks of this kind of uas disease. i also have mts which is multi tank syndrome as i have advanced from one small tropical fish tank in the corner of my lounge to 150 gallon fish tank and also another smaller tank in my kitchen.

i also got 4 chickens and a small coop a few years ago and i now have half of my garden penned off to accomodate my 9 (at the moment normally have 12) chickens and im on my 3rd coop and still look at others :)

i guess im a compulsive obsessive, and i agree that ebay was created by bealzebub :(

kohanmike
11-17-2013, 08:39 PM
As long as this thread has been updated, I'll throw in my 2¢; I'm up to six in five months, but they're all tenor cutaways with electronics, I like the configuration so much that I just choose different materials. A couple of days ago I set up a place to keep them, which will only fit six comfortably and has helped me curtail my UAS.

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/IMG_0037.JPG

Tootler
11-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Since getting my Risa solid electric, I have succumbed to a related syndrome, Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS). So far I have bought three micro amps, four effect pedals and a new recorder and have eyes on another amp. Oh! and don't forget the mics, cables and other ancillary gear.

So beware electric ukes :iwant:

Of course, having an electric uke does compromise my Folk Uker image. Maybe I should change it to Folk-Rock Uker :nana:

coolkayaker1
11-17-2013, 11:10 PM
One knows they have UAS when they sell their body to fund the addiction.

Relax, never look them in the face or kiss them on the mouth, and think of a "pretty place".

uknavynigel
11-18-2013, 01:52 AM
As long as this thread has been updated, I'll throw in my 2¢; I'm up to six in five months, but they're all tenor cutaways with electronics, I like the configuration so much that I just choose different materials. A couple of days ago I set up a place to keep them, which will only fit six comfortably and has helped me curtail my UAS.

Comfortablely! So you could squash one more in Pmsl ;-)

kohanmike
11-18-2013, 08:33 AM
No, no no, I will not go there. If I try to squeeze another in, they will bang against each other. (At this point I'll hold on to anything to fight off UAS, but it's a battle, last night I spent over an hour scrolling through ukes on AliExpress.com, but the full shelf kept me in check.)

Ukulele Eddie
11-18-2013, 08:48 AM
A couple of days ago I set up a place to keep them, which will only fit six comfortably and has helped me curtail my UAS.

Mike, I'm here for you. I live not so far away in Santa Monica and you can store one or two with me for free.

greenie44
11-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Mike, I'm here for you. I live not so far away in Santa Monica and you can store one or two with me for free.

Whoa - this is a whole new concept: the ukulele bank. I can own as many as I want, but can only have X number in my house. And this could rapidly lead to uke arbitrage and who knows what else. Back in the bottle, you damned genie . . .

iamesperambient
11-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Help me someone please I've caught U.A.S. identified all over the planet as an unreasonable urge to by any old Ukulele. It started with a T.V. advert (the background music was played on a Ukulele) the advert was for a washing up soap called small and mighty. My god I'm messed up! Help me! Any way I bought a Ukulele bright yellow with black strings. I couldn't stop my self. I showed it to the guys at the music club and they all laughed at me and said never. A month later I played lead opener and they all slavishly backed me. Then I bought another Uke and gave it to a friend then a bigger one then another came my way. My wife tried to stop me but, what the hell she goes grocery shopping. I even hung a ukulele from a tree at the bottom of the garden. I've got one in my car in my shed, at work. I have pulled one to bits and I have rebuilt two and I have just bought three more to fiendishly experiment with, one gets narrowed, one electrically amplified and the last one gets a bigger sound hole. Please tell me that I'm O.K.

ukes are more addicting than heroin. I spend at least 75 % of my day day dreaming about all the ukes I want
and as soon as i get a new one i think about getting another one hahaha.

Captain America
11-18-2013, 10:14 AM
. . . they're so little and so cute and sized just like a baby to cuddle! :)

Ukulele Eddie
11-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Whoa - this is a whole new concept: the ukulele bank. I can own as many as I want, but can only have X number in my house.

Maybe more like the ukulele hideaway. Of course, it could lead to divorce by ukulele when UAS-less spouses discover there are illegitimate ukes all over town! ;-)

hucklelele
11-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Actually running NEGATIVE on the UAS scale today- took back the guitarlele to Guitar Center- thought it just a little too small to actually cross over and serve as a high toned classical guitar practice ax- getting a smaller 1/2 or 3/4 guitar for that-

Don't like to do returns, but it was cramping my fingers and a chunk of change

and I think maybe someday I'll replace it with a regular tenor-

I

iamesperambient
11-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Actually running NEGATIVE on the UAS scale today- took back the guitarlele to Guitar Center- thought it just a little too small to actually cross over and serve as a high toned classical guitar practice ax- getting a smaller 1/2 or 3/4 guitar for that-

Don't like to do returns, but it was cramping my fingers and a chunk of change

and I think maybe someday I'll replace it with a regular tenor-

I

I don't really see the point in the guitarlele
I'd rather just kind a small parlor guitar and play it in a normal not higher up tuning.
I think a baritone uke would serve just find personally.

peaceweaver3
11-19-2013, 06:26 AM

And they are the therapy. :)

SeaArtNancy
11-19-2013, 11:11 AM
AHHHHHHH- I too suffer from this affliction!!!!!! By the way I just discovered a brand new Matsui Custom Dias Replicas, tenor and concert size on Hawaii Music Supply's The Ukulele Site.....they both are so incredibly cool!!!!! I want!!!!!!!I'm weak!!!!! I'll suffer the consequences later!!!!!
There is no cure....seriously-you all need to look at these ukes!!!!!!
I can always tell my husband it's either THIS or another horse....(sinister laughter)

Ukegirl96
03-29-2015, 07:03 AM
I too have uas, I'm graduating in two months and my siblings promised me a Makala MK-C concert uke as a graduation gift. I can't wait two whole months for it!:drool:

earljam
03-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Seems that UAS is spreading out to the rural areas too. Recently came across two at a flea market, a '55 Vega Baritone Arthur Godfrey model and a Vega soprano banjolele, also circa mid 50s. They will provide good company for my other two mid 50s models, a Martin style 0 soprano and a Gibson TU-1 tenor. My 2009 Kala ASAC-T is going to start feeling like its stuck with a bunch of geezers. Now the search for the right concert uke begins.... anybody near Southertn Illinois interested in the banjolele and/or the Kala, that has a concert model.....no, stop me before I acquire again....

co.jp
03-29-2015, 02:29 PM
I only started playing the uke since the end of January, and was uke-less for 3 of those weeks for various reasons. Bought 3 ukes since that time. I may have a problem...

Cfiimei
03-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Hi, my name's Mike, and I'm an addict....

hollisdwyer
03-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Hi Mike. Where are you on the 12 steps? In other words do you have 12 Ukes yet?

earljam
03-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Hi, my name's Mike, and I'm an addict....

Cmon down past Carbondale, I have something to show you..(winkwink)

kohanmike
03-29-2015, 05:30 PM
I started playing uke in July of 2013, within a month I had three ukes, all tenor cutaways with preamps, within six months had gone through 8, and within a year fourteen. I hung in with eight until a few weeks ago when I felt like I got over UAS to a certain degree and have been selling off a few, with the idea of keeping 4 of the ones I like best.

But that 'certain degree' was because I contracted MBAS, mini bass acquisition syndrome. I started playing bass a few months ago because there were many small basses available and within five months I had four, but I might just be over that too because I've been very busy learning and preparing for a performance with my ukulele group where I will be the bass player, we normally have two.

Ukegirl96
03-29-2015, 05:35 PM
I live hundreds of miles away from the closest place that sells ukes and I'm a poor high school graduate so I can't afford buying my first uke myself. My sister and brother will bring me my first uke in two months, what can I do to alleviate the pain of waiting?

hollisdwyer
03-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Meditate, take a cold shower, compute Pi to 57th decimal point, watch an Andy Warhol film.....

Ukegirl96
03-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Hollisdayer, I tried watching some videos about my future uke on YouTube. But, instead of alleviating my pain,they only made me jealous of the lucky people who already have a Kala Makala MK-C concert uke. The pain is killing me!!!

Steve in Kent
03-29-2015, 11:39 PM
On top of UAS I have now got UBAS :uhoh:

Mind you I have only got 4 ukuleles so far, almost bought another on Saturday but managed to control the fever finger of bidding.

sam13
03-30-2015, 03:33 PM
I hear buying a LFdM puts an end to UAS for a long time ... here's hoping. Mine is coming due at the end of April.

katysax
03-30-2015, 05:54 PM
I hear buying a LFdM puts an end to UAS for a long time ... here's hoping. Mine is coming due at the end of April.

Sam I doubt it. I got my Moore Bettah and it did not cure UAS. I have, and have had, some fantastic ukes. Doesn't matter. In fact, getting a really great uke can fuel your UAS.

Inksplosive AL
03-30-2015, 06:09 PM
Currently fighting a bout of UFAS or (M)ultiple (U)kelele (F)igurine (S)yndrome. Stock photos of my newest addition. These little guys n girls are bobble hipped very cool. I was originally going to display them in my shop but I think they are going to take turns in my car.

NewKid
03-30-2015, 06:19 PM

Not true for me Sam. Several of us LFdM owners have gone back for the new Petite Bouche. I'm fortunate enough to be on Luis's list again for early 2016. Such a blessing!

I know now you will love your LFdM. Congrats!