Tuning like a mandolin/violin

dave g

Reaction score
This week I've had a mandolin player inquire whether or not one of my banjoleles can be tuned like a mandolin. So I've done some screwing around to find the answer (which is yes, of course). Start with a set of low-g strings. The 4th (g) is the same note on both so you're good there. The ukulele C (3rd) can easily handle being cranked up to D. The A on the uke (1st) is the same as the A on the mandolin (2nd) so just put it in the second spot instead of the 1st. Now the mandolin's E is an octave above the ukulele's, so a new, thinner string is needed. I tried several different weights of nylon fishing line and 15# seems to be about right.

Just thought I'd pass this on ;)

Thanks Dave! Great to meet you over the weekend. I will own one of your banjoleles at some point, I hope.

But what happens to the E string that's left over? :(

Hehe, nice trick! I think Aquila makes a set for this tuning, too, for those of us less inclined to have fishing line lying about. :D

That fishing line thing is really clever. I don't think I ever would have thought of something like that. How does it sound though?

Top Bottom