Photos of my new Kamaka tenor!

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I've been a Kanile'a fan for a while now, and lately, I have to admit, I have had a little Kamaka envy. I love my Kanile'a dearly, but I did long for a curly koa uke with the KK logo...so I bit the bullet and bought a Kamaka tenor yesterday. I drove three hours each way to pick it up, and I don't regret it for a second (even if both my spouse and mother told me they like the Kanile'a better)!

They both think the glossy UV and the straight grain of the Kanile'a are more attractive. I think the Kanile'a is beautiful, but I think the Kamaka is more traditional, and I dig the koa on this one.
picture.php

picture.php

Took a photo of both of my babies, Waimea (Kanile'a) and Pele (Kamaka) for a new avatar, since as any good parent, I can't blatantly favor one over the other.
picture.php

For now, I'm keeping the Kanile'a as a low g tuned instrument, and making the Kamaka my High G ukulele.

First impressions are that the heavier size and thicker neck of the Kamaka will take some getting used to, but I'm willing to make the effort! :D Though I do feel a bit like I'm cheating on the Kanile'a...

Still, as any true fanatic, I have now joined the UU Kamaka Klub, just ordered a KK logo tshirt, and posted some photos of the new member of the family in an album here on UU. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=384

It is an extravagance that I shouldn't have spent, but I just couldn't turn down that KK logo!

Last edited:
Congrats on your new baby! :D After you've put a few miles on the Kamaka, let us know how it stacks up against the Kanile'a.

I'll till take a "KoAloha" any day...............Bottoms Up!

For now, I'm keeping the Kanile'a as a low g tuned instrument, and making the Kamaka my High G ukulele.

Hehe, that's an admirable arrangement if I ever saw one! :D

You've got two gorgeous ukes there.

Beautiful uke. I think I'm going to buy a Kamaka Tenor at the end of summer.. Does anyone know how much it costs to upgrade the Koa? And does Kamaka take international orders (Canada) straight from the factory?

Wow that is beautiful! Congrats on the new uke!

Never seen or heard either of them in real life but they certainly look up to the mark.
Your rightly proud to have them as I would.

Congrats on the beautiful new uke.

WOW! both of your ukes are works of art. Curious to see which one ends up being played more..

Hey...you have to love both! Each has its own distinct look and personality.....UAS UAS UAS UAS. Now you gotta add another K-uke to your collection with a Ko'aloha!

The Kamaka's pretty, but.....

How can you not love that Kanile'a bridge? If I had to choose just one of the two, I'd go Kanile'a.

Congrats! They're both beauties....

Beautiful uke. I think I'm going to buy a Kamaka Tenor at the end of summer.. Does anyone know how much it costs to upgrade the Koa? And does Kamaka take international orders (Canada) straight from the factory?

I emailed Kamaka yesterday because before I bought this one, I was thinking about ordering a curly koa ukulele. This is the response they sent me...

"Here at the factory we take orders, we do not have them in stock. If you want to pick up a ukulele when you visit then you should place an order with me. It takes 3-4 weeks to build. Curly Koa wood starts at $350 for Grade 3A and $450 for Grade 4A. Should you decide to place an order, i will need your full name, address and phone #. Payment can be made with any major credit card."

If you choose to get one, be sure to post pics when you get it? As for Canada orders, I'm not sure, you should call them...

Top Bottom