PDA

View Full Version : Desperate, please help

devino93
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I have had my lanikai concert uke for atleast 3 weeks now. at first i had problems with tuning, but the uke finally started cooperating, hence the strings stretched out and started to break in all around. BUT, now, for the past few days i've been playing it, certain chords and notes i am playing sound terrible. I am fretting them correctly, and the uke is in tune most of the time. I'm thinking that I need either new strings, or am just having bad luck with ukuleles all together. the uke had a tag on it when i first got it that said the strings were new Aquila's. will someone please help.
:(

Fred Miu
06-09-2009, 05:37 PM
do you have a tuner? if not you should get one.

also, when you tune your ukulele, do the tuning pegs feel loose? if so you should tighten them a little bit so they dont de-tune themselves. check to see if this helps you.

laaaater :shaka:

ukantor
06-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Yes, a chromatic tuner is a big help in these cases. Tune the uke accurately, find the chord that sounds bad, play each individual note of that chord, using the tuner - that will identify the notes that are off. Only then will you be able to find out what is causing it, and how to cure it.

Just a thought; are you pressing too hard with the fretting fingers? You only need to hold them down enough to play cleanly. Excess pressure just stretches the string and makes it go sharp.

John Colter.

Daionsavage
06-09-2009, 11:36 PM
I had to file the string slots (in the nut) down on my lanikai to get the intonation right. Have you done this?

UkeNukem
06-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Just a thought; are you pressing too hard with the fretting fingers? You only need to hold them down enough to play cleanly. Excess pressure just stretches the string and makes it go sharp. John Colter.

I was just going to ask that question! I put on some different strings with less tension and noticed this phenom. I bet it was there before but less. I started experimenting with lighter fingering and it does help. Another thing I tried was to place my fingertips very close to the fret, placing them between the frets gives more vertical space to warp the string sharp. This is not always possible but it was helpful to nail down the problem.

As a long time guitar player, I bet my technique needs modification, or maybe I'll just drink some more wine and chill! :shaka:

ukulelebadass
06-10-2009, 03:54 AM
It's quite possible your strings are shot. You never know how long the instrument has been sitting strung before you bought it, plus being shipped from manufacture, to warehouse, to you means various rapid temperature and humidity changes.

On top of that aquila nylguts, thought they sound great when new, are not very durable strings.

I agree that changing the strings out might help a lot, also having a tuner makes a world of difference.