Playing the Uke and losing weight while doing so

specialmike

Reaction score
I wonder if playing the ukulele for long periods of time burns a substantial amount of calories. lol Especially when you start sweating because you have to keep up with the strumming tempo.

Any one ever test this?

Not sure... might be similar to that old chestnut "sex burns the same amount of calories as mowing the lawn" to which the retort is "you're doing it wrong!"

How about the ukulele diet: Every time you feel the need for that extra donut, pick up a uke and play a tune instead. Then eat the donut. :)

The more I play uke, the more I have UAS and the lighter my wallet becomes. Does that count?

Unless you play Maria Kennedy style, no. There's minimal increase in heartrate or caloric burn over watching TV. Uking while sprinting, that's a different story.

I don't think so..??

Unless you play Maria Kennedy style, no. There's minimal increase in heartrate or caloric burn over watching TV. Uking while sprinting, that's a different story.

Playing the uke while running is not recommended... But it sure sounds like fun

I am sure it does burn calories but the amount I am not sure, probably minimal compared to more active activities. But Just sitting still burns calories.

Maybe you could invent the ukulele workout plan to lose weight.

One could come up with a statement like those made on the fat-burner TV commercials. You know the ones: "Just play the ukulele for 60 minutes a day, along with a sensible diet and exercise plan, and watch the pounds melt away."

I lose weight when I practice because I'd rather play than eat!

Of course, that is sometimes offset by the fact I like to drink beer or wine while I play, too...​

I wonder if playing the ukulele for long periods of time burns a substantial amount of calories. lol Especially when you start sweating because you have to keep up with the strumming tempo.

Any one ever test this?

This has been tested and the results are in:

iz.gif

liiboy.jpg

Rev.%20Ken%20With%20Ukulele-1.JPG

Absolutely! Playing the uke combined with good diet and other forms of excersize can be part of a valid wight loss program.

Playing the uke burns a significant amount of calories compared to static activities such as reading, or watching T.V. There are things you can do to increase the number of calories burned during practice, or playing such as- standing and moving around (dancing, swaying, tapping your foot) all of these motions add to the calories you are burning.

For example, if a 200 pound person plays the uke for 1 hour (seated), he or she will burn 288 calories. If the same person plays fo 1 hour standing they burn 395 calories. Add a little fancy foot-work, and you're up to 564.

1 hour of sex, by the way burns between 380 and 500 calories depending on how um... rigorous you are in the sack.

By the way, the more weight you lose the more calories you will burn per minute of excersize (rational to your body weight), that is why its easier to stay in shape than to get that way... and also why our friends in the previous post will probably have to do a little more than strum...

Last edited:
I dont think it works otherwise i would look like a toothpick rather than a whale,.....

same here broh, same here. :D

Try playing for a long time standing up and moving around a bit. Im sure if you dance like Jake on stage you will lose weight fast. :p

Top Bottom