Any comic book fans?

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
At the risk of totally outing myself as a grade A nerd, does anyone else here read comic books?

I'm stoked for Secret Invasion.

I'm pretty much a Marvel zombie, I read almost all of their superhero titles, but there are other titles I like too. Some of my favorite non-Marvel titles:

The Walking Dead
Scalped
Invincible
Ex Machina

i'm not a comic know-it-all but i do love comics. i know some things here and there in the marvel universe and really wanted to get into the civil war series that they got going on now. i got some spiderman issues laying around the house from my bro. still in their plastics too haha.

I was an avid hardcore collector a couple years ago. It just got too expensive when i went out on my own and had to pay all my big boy bills. I usually only buy trade paperbacks and graphic novels nowadays.

The recent ones I bought was,

American Born Chinese
Kingdom Come (finally took the time to read it)
Box Office Poison
Scott Pilgrim
umm... theres more but I forget...

I read the first 2 trades of ex-machina, i didn't like it which surprised me cause I really liked Y The last man.

Seeso I can see your a Kirkman fan. I like his stuff too. Did you read that wolfman book he just put out?

Comics! Yay!

I love comics. I am a huge fan of Doctor Strange and I like to keep up on the Ultimate Spider-Man trades.

I loved the Watchmen and just recently started reading the Blue Beetle. (Awesome btw.)

I read just about everything but can't afford to get it all.

You can't go wrong with captain underpants - you can read the whole thing with in 15minutes. Literally haha!

My son LOVES use to LOVE Captain Underpants :p

When I young I use to read comic books like a maniac. Spiderman and X-Men taught me how to read :) Now, I'll go through phases. I'll get out of them for a while and get back into them.

I'm currently off comics ATM. I usually try to hit the local Megacon every year. But I missed it this year.

i love ducktales :D i reading this when I been a lil dude :D

ahh! I love comics, but I haven't bought any in a long time because, like ryan, they no longer fit my 'big boy' budget.

I inadvertently became a comic fan because my older brother had a hardcore comics collection, probably like 5000+ comics. So i didn't have to spend too much to get into them :D

In my house we got into lots of the old heroes from marvel and dc:

xmen
spiderman
daredevil
batman
superman
The flash
greenlantern
JLA

I thought it was cool when they pitted the different heroes against each other from the different comic universes.

I'm a big Jhonen Vasquez Fan... But haven't bought any for a couple of years now...

I'm a big Jhonen Vasquez Fan... But haven't bought any for a couple of years now...

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac is kind of a landmark comic. I like Vasquez's work a lot. I don't think he's done any comics lately, though.

I used to be a BIGTIME comic nut! Until I got married and my wife (now ex-wife) didn't understand my "obsession". LOL I sold them all (got some pretty good money for them) and haven't collected in YEARS! Comics are just too damn expensive for me to stick into the budget now.

I used to collect...
The Uncanny X-Men (I had everything from #15 on)
Wolverine (I had every one -regular series, the limited edition series and "What-If" The incredible Hulk was killed -Wolverine's debut for Marvel)
Daredevil (From #1 on)
Spawn (From #1 on)
Pitt (From #1 on)
The Maxx (From #1 on)
GiJoe (From #1 on)
and a few more sporadic ones that were worth alot of cash.

Let's just say that I started collecting comics when they were only $0.60 each. I used to not eat lunch at school if I knew a new issue was coming out - then I'd use the lunch money to buy a comic. I sold my entire "Wolverine" collection for $550, about ten years ago. So it was a pretty good investment to say the least. LOL

Last edited:
$550 good deal. Comics don't sell really well these days. I used to collect too, but not as extensive as that. I stopped cause it was getting to crazy. So many titles coming out at once. This was probably back in 1992 and prior. I still have comics. Some too new for people to want them, and others I came across from my wife's father. Spiderman #'d less than #100. Kind of busted up but still nice to have. I also have some Cherry Poptarts! hehehe. Naughy stuff.

Yeah, I think comics overflowed the industry with too many titles and started making comics prices out of reach for the fans that it was all started for... the kiddies.

Graphic novels seem to be the norm now with multiple issues of comics put together in one book for a "collectors" price. LOL

I guess I should thank my ex-wife for getting me out of the "addiction" when she did. LOL

I'm an amateur cartoonist-- done a couple self-published comic zines, etc.

My sister dated a guy who was a cartoonist-- he just got a publisher, actually. She was going to all these cartoonist parties full of people from Comic publishers like Fantagraphics and Drawn and Quarterly.

When I told her I'd just gotten a ukulele, she looked at me and said, "you know it's a cliche for cartoonists to play ukulele, right?"

I totally blushed.

I used to be a BIGTIME comic nut! Until I got married and my wife (now ex-wife) didn't understand my "obsession". LOL I sold them all (got some pretty good money for them) and haven't collected in YEARS! Comics are just too damn expensive for me to stick into the budget now.

I used to collect...
The Uncanny X-Men (I had everything from #15 on)
Wolverine (I had every one -regular series, the limited edition series and "What-If" The incredible Hulk was killed -Wolverine's debut for Marvel)
Daredevil (From #1 on)
Spawn (From #1 on)
Pitt (From #1 on)
The Maxx (From #1 on)
GiJoe (From #1 on)
and a few more sporadic ones that were worth alot of cash.

Let's just say that I started collecting comics when they were only $0.60 each. I used to not eat lunch at school if I knew a new issue was coming out - then I'd use the lunch money to buy a comic. I sold my entire "Wolverine" collection for $550, about ten years ago. So it was a pretty good investment to say the least. LOL

Whoa, that's an impressive collection. I still read them, but yeah man. They're expensive. I'm still addicted!

I have to start selling my old ones...

I'm an amateur cartoonist-- done a couple self-published comic zines, etc.

My sister dated a guy who was a cartoonist-- he just got a publisher, actually. She was going to all these cartoonist parties full of people from Comic publishers like Fantagraphics and Drawn and Quarterly.

When I told her I'd just gotten a ukulele, she looked at me and said, "you know it's a cliche for cartoonists to play ukulele, right?"

I totally blushed.

I didn't know that was a cliché. Huh. My friend Lucy is an amazing cartoonist, and she was just featured on YouTube with an ukulele song that she wrote and performed with a puppet.

I guess it is a cliché.

Top Bottom