PDA

View Full Version : re-stringing

sophie358
06-10-2009, 02:05 AM
I have just bought my very first ukulele and it arrived with the G string loose from the tuning peg. is there a way to hook the old string back into the tuning peg or will i have to go and get it professionally re-stringed? (If so, how much will this cost?)

Another question: I have been trying to tune the other strings using an online tuner and finding it quite difficult to know if i've got it right. Is this a normal problem for beginners or am i tone deaf?

Thanks!

misterdub
06-10-2009, 02:16 AM
I have just bought my very first ukulele and it arrived with the G string loose from the tuning peg. is there a way to hook the old string back into the tuning peg or will i have to go and get it professionally re-stringed? (If so, how much will this cost?)

I believe that they normally loosen the strings during shipping so they don't snap or cause undue pressure on the neck during potential pressure changes in the cargo hold of an aircraft? Either way, I'd recommend checking out:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/02/18/uke-minutes-5-how-to-re-string-your-ukulele/

It'll show you how to restring your uke yourself. It is much less intimidating than it looks. :)

Another question: I have been trying to tune the other strings using an online tuner and finding it quite difficult to know if i've got it right. Is this a normal problem for beginners or am i tone deaf?

I had the same problem with those tuners! I don't think you're tone deaf - that or we both are. ;) What I found helpful was to download:

http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html

It does require you have a microphone. Tuning is way easier with this; just tune your strings to the following values:

G = G4
C = C4
E = E4
A = A4

If you don't have a microphone, I'd invest in a real tuner from Guitar Center. I don't think they're that expensive and I found tuning by ear really hard as a beginner.

Ukeffect
06-10-2009, 04:15 AM
I agree about the electronic tuner. I can get my ukes into tune with themselves by ear, but you'll save yourself a lot of heartache and time by getting a chromatic tuner (less than $20 U.S.) see the UU store for a good example. That way you know you are in true tune every time you play, and that makes practice sound better and for me at least, it goes much smoother! :music:

Lori
06-10-2009, 06:39 AM

Thanks!

Don't worry, it is a very common problem. The more you play, the better your ear will get. I don't think it has any bearing on how musical you are. Those electronic tuners are one of the best inventions ever! Wish they were around when I started playing guitar. All that time wasted trying to get tuned, when you should be playing already!

–Lori