Kala pitchpipes are...

Ukulele_Junkie

Reaction score
No goooood. On my kala pitchpipe the only note that is on the perfect balance is G. Both the A and E when blown in are too sharp and when i blow into the C hole its a B. Go figure. haha. I've tested it on my chroma tuner also. I also have another pitchpipe and all the notes are balanced, i think i got a defective kala one.

i got a lahaina one (it came with my uke when i ordered it from MGM) but EVERYTHING is too sharp, according to my tuner though.

best thing to do is go with a chromatic tuner. even when tuning by ear, you can still be off by a bit. and when you go to strum it will sound like crap. and youre going to beat yourself trying to figure out which string is wrong.

but a cool way to test your ear for it is to see if you can tune it by ear. then use the chromatic tuner to check your work. eventually you will get closer and closer, to the point that you wont need the tuner anymore. for the record, i still cant do it.

just tested my kala pitchpipe with audio tuner on my pc and yes, only G is accurate and i have the same sharp/flat probs as you do! must just be how they're made :( but as long as the g is fine!

Has anyone informed Kala about it? I don't own a pitchpipe, just chromatic tuners because they're easier to work with and much faster tuning with it. It may be inexpensive (?) but the fact is, it's a defective product by any standard. Just my .02 worth.

Yeah. I've sort of gotten tired of using tuners. I never bought one in the first place. It got placed in my memory each time I tune my uke with the online tuner. Tuning that way helped me alot with playing and tuning by ear.

I'm trying to learn to tune by ear or with pitchpipe. Mainly because when we run out of batteries after the apocalypse, I still wanna play in tune. :) So I'll avoid the Kala pitchpipes then.

amazing they sell these things without verifying if they're in tune

maybe because its kinda gross to have them pre-slobbered on. haha.. :D

Top Bottom