How do People get such good recording quality, such as wade johnston, & julia nunes?

Samster

Reaction score
How do People get such good recording quality, such as wade johnston, & julia nunes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91mmAbFq--4

thats a video of wade johnstons,

the audio is crystal clear, practically perfect,

ho do people like this get such good recording quality?

Use an external mic, ideally a condenser, and position it properly. (Recording in a quiet room away from any computer and street noise helps too.)

a condenser?

im really lost when it comes to this side of ukuleles

are there expensive?

and how do the connect to your computer?

thank you for responding

You can buy a USB condenser mic that plugs directly into your computer for anywhere from US$70 on up. If you don't want to spend that much you can get a dynamic mic for less. Either way, make sure it's USB or you'll have to buy additional equipment in order to be able to connect it to your computer.

Incidentally, the audio quality of the video you linked to is better than average but still not as good as you can get. Check this video by Ken Middleton, for example...he's using a Zoom H2 recorder as his mic (I'm guessing he's using a pickup on his Kanile`a and mixing the two signals together but I may be wrong):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQp1r6aLAh0

Last edited:
how much would i need to spend to get a good quality (similar to wade johnstons quality) mic?

how much would i need to spend to get a good quality (similar to wade johnstons quality) mic?
My guess is he's recording with a camcorder rather than a webcam and he's using the built-in mic on the camcorder.

Even with a bad mic you can get surprisingly good sound by just passing your recording through a compressor in your favorite sound editing software.

The trick is to get rid of the classic "room hiss" and machine noise...

For example, I use GarageBand's "Speeh Enhancer" filter, which is really just a compressor and EQ built in. It has an automatic "Noise Reducer" which dramaticly kills the room his and even some of the usual "whistle" you can get recording directly into the laptop. All in one or two clicks...

Different software uses different filters, but the idea is the same - kill the hiss, and EQ the good stuff.

Let me know if that helps...

i messaged him once a while ago on youtube

but he never responded to that lol

I am sure his youtube inbox is filled with sub for subs and check me outs... The link Seeso provided is to his UU account. I went back and forth messaging with him yesterday with no problems. Try it on here, we tend to not bombard inboxes like the youtube crowd...

thank you for that.

another thing is, does the quality of the mic affect how your voice sounds?

on some my voice sounds really breathy, thin and light

and on others not so much

is this to do with the quality of the mic?

You might look into the eyeball. It's a nice condenser mic with a webcam attached. I have the Snowflake, which is just the mic. The quality is excellent for web videos and it plugs right into USB.

I'm pretty sure Julia uses (or did use) the built-in mic in her iMac.

You might look into the eyeball. It's a nice condenser mic with a webcam attached. I have the Snowflake, which is just the mic. The quality is excellent for web videos and it plugs right into USB.

Now that's pretty neat!

I don't know why, but the "eyeball" recommendation reminds me of the movie Scrooged.
:p

Top Bottom