New Uke Day...

Pippin

Reaction score
Well, The Brown Truck of Happiness dropped off a new ukulele today. It's an Oscar Schmidt professional series OU-5LCE, the thin laminated Koa, with a cut-away, abalone inlay on the binding, headstock, and rosette. The uke has a matte finish and Grover geared tuners on the headstock make it very easy to tune. There is a UK-2000 pickup on it.

I bought this one for me. It is not a magazine give-away, but I will be reviewing this one in the next issue of Ukulele Player.

I am also going to review the Ohana solid mahogany pineapple.

Here is a link to a sound sample...
http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/desperado.mp3

Last edited:
THe Brown Truck of Happiness!!

HA!!

All seriousness aside though, it'd be nice to hear something constructive about an Oscar-Schmidt other than how the 'c', 'm' and 'd' in their name is misleading.

Hey wait a minute! They really have gotten better...1000% better than when they first came out! I have two that work and sound great for me. That being said, I wouldn't buy an old "vintage" OS if someone Deached me with it! Seriously, for the price they aren't half bad now.:cheers:

ahh the brown truck of happiness. how i wish it would show up more often.LOL

Have fun with it man and keep up the good articles!!!!

...The Brown Truck of Happiness...
I own a UPS Store. We call it the Brown Stain of Quality.... from a Dilbert cartoon.

Even though I have that association, I use postal services cross-border because of the exorbitant brokerage fee UPS applies to shipments from the US. I paid $60 in "brokerage" fees on a $105 Strumstick!

THe Brown Truck of Happiness!!

HA!!

All seriousness aside though, it'd be nice to hear something constructive about an Oscar-Schmidt other than how the 'c', 'm' and 'd' in their name is misleading.

What most people don't know is that Oscar Schmidt has a complete line of professional quality ukes. Their flagship model is $899 and is made of solid koa. There is one available at German Village Music Haus in Columbus, Ohio. The inlay on the neck of that ukulele is a work of art.

Most people have never seen anything beyond the OU2 or OU2e and the OU3 in concerts and sopranos. They have a lot more available.

Think of Kala and Ohana. Kala has a $50 basic model and a lot more. Ohana has modestly priced solid wood instruments and they also have high-priced solid koa instruments, too. I think it is a shame that many people don't realize that they do have a top-shelf line that cost what the "K" ukes do. They have a lot to offer.

THIS is a great time to play ukulele.

Hey wait a minute! They really have gotten better...1000% better than when they first came out! I have two that work and sound great for me. That being said, I wouldn't buy an old "vintage" OS if someone Deached me with it! Seriously, for the price they aren't half bad now.:cheers:

I read they've beefed-up the quality control part of their factories so the ones coming out now are leaps and bounds above the OSs of the past. I agree, I wouldn't gamble on an older model, but I'm kinda curious about the new stuff.

What most people don't know is that Oscar Schmidt has a complete line of professional quality ukes. Their flagship model is $899 and is made of solid koa. There is one available at German Village Music Haus in Columbus, Ohio. The inlay on the neck of that ukulele is a work of art.

Most people have never seen anything beyond the OU2 or OU2e and the OU3 in concerts and sopranos. They have a lot more available.

Think of Kala and Ohana. Kala has a $50 basic model and a lot more. Ohana has modestly priced solid wood instruments and they also have high-priced solid koa instruments, too. I think it is a shame that many people don't realize that they do have a top-shelf line that cost what the "K" ukes do. They have a lot to offer.

THIS is a great time to play ukulele.

It is a shame, cuz I've seen some of their other models and you're right, they look beautious! However, I never actually HEARD one of 'em... (hint, hint)

I own a UPS Store. We call it the Brown Stain of Quality.... from a Dilbert cartoon.

Even though I have that association, I use postal services cross-border because of the exorbitant brokerage fee UPS applies to shipments from the US. I paid $60 in "brokerage" fees on a $105 Strumstick!

A man after my own heart.....;)

A man after my own heart.....;)

I prefer the USPS as well, I think the cost is about the same but the service is much better. If I order something on Monday from Florida or California and ship it UPS, I'll be lucky to get by the following Monday. For the same money I can send the same shipment USPS and have it by Wednesday. I know it doesn't take that long to move a package and I think they they purposely delay the packages to encourage you to use one of thier other services.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Congrats on the new Ukulele! Play what you love, Love what you Play!

I read they've beefed-up the quality control part of their factories so the ones coming out now are leaps and bounds above the OSs of the past. I agree, I wouldn't gamble on an older model, but I'm kinda curious about the new stuff.

It is a shame, cuz I've seen some of their other models and you're right, they look beautious! However, I never actually HEARD one of 'em... (hint, hint)

Maybe I can fix that this weekend.

recording of Oscar Schmidt OU-5LCE

Okay, here is a link to "Desperado" that I recorded this morning.

The instrumentation is pretty simple...

rhythm uke: Oscar Schmidt OU-5LCE
lead uke: Oscar Schmidt OU-5LCE
bass guitar: Ibanez
Lead Vocal: Mickey Maguire (Pippin)
backup vocal 1: Mickey Maguire
backup vocal 2: Mickey Maguire
percussion: Oscar Schmidt OU-5LCE (and my middle finger tapping)

http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/desperado.mp3

Top Bottom