Converting Sheet Music to Ukulele Tabs

FrankNoCal

Reaction score
Anybody know how to do this? I've got some songs from a song book that I would like to learn to play. I totally don't understand any of the music or anything. I was wondering if there was a way to convert it to Uke tabs. I tried a trial version of Guitar Pro, but it was only guitar tabs, not uke.

Anybody know how to do this? I've got some songs from a song book that I would like to learn to play. I totally don't understand any of the music or anything. I was wondering if there was a way to convert it to Uke tabs. I tried a trial version of Guitar Pro, but it was only guitar tabs, not uke.

There's a converter somewhere around here. Try searching for it as I do not remember where it is.

You can change the number of strings in Guitar Pro 5, to Ukulele tuning. Click on the Green Checkmark Button in the menu bar. Then select 4 strings, ukulele C tuning. The default is wrong, but just reset each note to the following:
A4
E4
C4
G5

–Lori

There's no way to automatically convert guitar tabs to ukulele tabs in GuitarPro.

You have to make a new track, set it to ukulele C tuning, and then hand-enter the notes.

I totally don't understand any of the music or anything.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the first step. You have to know what the notes are in the sheet music in order to come up with a ukulele arrangement. Then you tab out the arrangement.

If you wanted to spend some money, I think Sibelius has some add-on software that will let you scan in sheet music, converting it to a Sibelius file. (Finale might have something similar.) Then you could covert it to uke tab. It would probably be a big mess, and you'd still have to tweak it a great deal. I'd advise against this method.

JJ

I've used the "Smartscore" plugin and imported it into Finale. It was about 50% accurate so I spent just about the same time fixing things as I would if I had started from scratch.

However, Smartscore now has a guitar version for $79 that supports TAB recognition. Maybe it's better than it used to be. I'd get it, but my scanner didn't survive my Vista "upgrade" so I'm "scannerless" at the moment.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the first step. You have to know what the notes are in the sheet music in order to come up with a ukulele arrangement. Then you tab out the arrangement.

JJ

You actually don't need to know too much, though. You just copy the notes and symbols exactly as they appear in the music notation.

Where you'd run into trouble is when the music notation falls out of range of the ukulele's playable notes. Then you'd have to fudge about.

That's true. I still can't read music enough to sight read, but I don't have to know anything to put dots on paper. Actually, transcribing a few favorite pieces like that goes a long way in improving your music reading ability.

That's true. I still can't read music enough to sight read, but I don't have to know anything to put dots on paper. Actually, transcribing a few favorite pieces like that goes a long way in improving your music reading ability.
Amen! Learning to read music is nearly as easy as TAB and more accurate.

Whenever I receive an arrangement from my mentor, Howard, a put it into Finale, including fingerings--the whole ball of wax. This has GREATLY improved my reading ability. Finale also plays the piece back for you, in time. This allows me to check my accuracy....especially before going into the recording studio and spending money.

Just learn to read....it's not that hard. This is all you need.

___________________________F______________
E
________________________D_________________
C
_____________________B____________________
A
__________________G_______________________
F
_______________E__________________________

... and this is all you need to understand how to read and write English.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

;)

Top Bottom