Crazy, crazy ukulele --- Fevered thoughts

Captain America

Reaction score
Ouch! how do I put this?

How do I say I can't handle having more than one soprano?

Flashback to 2003: I buy a decent Mainland soprano. It's been with me through a lot of personal playing and through a lot of classes. I guess it's become a companion.

So six months or so ago, I buy a second-hand nicer Hawaiian uke. BIG sound, smidge wider fingerboard, somewhat better tone.

Should be an improvement. BUT I still gravitate to the Mainland. The other doesn't feel so right.

Buying on specs, I buy a soprano Kiwaya, which is just wonderfully made with wonderful materials and really deserves someone who loves and respects her.

But I'm still glued to this Mainland. Having the other options just doesn't matter much.

Thinking of selling the two new-to-me sopranos.

CA,
Give the new ukes some time. Hang one of them where you usually hang the Mainland. After a few more weeks, you can always find them a new home here.
Maybe the Mainland feels better in your hands? Comfort is a BIG deal. Sometimes, a wider nut isn't the answer. It hindered me.
There is nothing wrong with a Mainland, two of my besties play them, and I'm planning to purchase one for my daughter soon.

Yeah, I'm thrown for a loop. Usually I go for the instrument with the best sound, but my Mainland's not quite there, but it's comfortable and I know it.

I thought a year ago about getting a Mainland pineapple soprano, which may or may not be different enough. I like sopranos---but part of me says, you really just need one. I've got one tenor, one concert, one banjouke.

Put them in different places in your home. Places you'll reach for your nearest instrument and play.

After a while, they'll begin to feel as familiar and comfortable as your Mainland.

Think of it this way: every time you buy a car it feels a bit odd at first when you drive it. Different. Not quite right. Your controls aren't in the places you reach for. But after a while, you adapt to it and it starts to feel pretty good. Natural. After you've had it for a while, it's hard to remember what the old car was like.

I'm always thrilled with a new uke but the sensation does diminish and change with time. Last week I looked at my aNueNue Moon Birds and thought to myself "why do I even have this, maybe I should sell it". Today I picked it up and played for a minute and thought that I could never sell it, it sounds so wonderful. And I don't consider myself particularly fickle but my mood towards at least certain ukes of mine does alternate every now and then. The most important thing is to not make rash decisions. Give it time and give your new ukes a chance. Obviously if you still don't like them after several months you know it's probably safe to let go.

Last week I looked at my aNueNue Moon Birds and thought to myself "why do I even have this, maybe I should sell it". Today I picked it up and played for a minute and thought that I could never sell it, it sounds so wonderful. And I don't consider myself particularly fickle but my mood towards at least certain ukes of mine does alternate every now and then. The most important thing is to not make rash decisions.

I've had this. Although maybe I am more fickle. I also seem to be more rash in acquiring than letting go of instruments.

Top Bottom