PDA

View Full Version : Ukuleles at the airport

haolejohn
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
So I was traveling to Oahu (finally arrived about two hours ago) and we were in Seattle waiting to catch our flight. The wife and i were eating breakfast when I noticed ukuleles being carried. i met three uke players today and had to tell them about the UU. Only one seemed interested and we talked for the better part of 30 minutes about the uke and surf. The other uker just blew me off. Maybe i seemed a little weird walking up to strangers and asking what kind of uke they were carrying. Anyways better get off here there is a small swell on base and there is no one surfing it. i want to get a board and go charge the waist high sets.

grappler
06-10-2009, 03:48 PM
When i went to Newzealand, I bought my uke aswell. At wellington airport i got stopped a couple of times asking to jam for them. I sure wasn't upset being approached!

Choboy
06-11-2009, 05:56 AM
hahaha. i tell people about UU as well and only half seem interested.
i think the people on UU are above average ukulele lovers.

06-11-2009, 05:58 AM

why do you say that?

rossjr
06-11-2009, 12:11 PM
As I mentioned before, I found out about UU from a couple while waiting for my free Ukulele lesson at the Lahaine Cannery Mall. He was sitting in the audience and we just started talking about Ukulele's and he told me about the place, so I had to check it out.

Always funny what you notice when you travel..... On that same trip, on our flight to Maui we had to catch a connection in LAX. I bumped into a girl carrying her Ukulele, but I think she thought I was a stalker when I asked what kind of Ukulele she had....

Ahnko Honu
06-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I used to travel interisland with my Mahalo Mahogany laminate pineapple in a soft case but never got asked about it, I guess just a normal carry-on in these parts. ;)

haolejohn
06-11-2009, 04:56 PM
The one that seemed interested even wrote down the address. He had only been playing for a few months and I pitched all the great advice and lessons.

Bratset
06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Gonna bring mine on a trip in two weeks :D

PihSant
06-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Would a tenor sized uke be considered a personal item, or do you have to have it as your carry on item? Anybody have experience trying to get one on a plane?

Tanizaki
06-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Would a tenor sized uke be considered a personal item, or do you have to have it as your carry on item? Anybody have experience trying to get one on a plane?

I just came back from Japan a few days ago. My tenor uke was a personal item and I had no problem with it on American or Japanese airlines. It fit into the overhead bin just fine.

Uke-lahoma
06-12-2009, 01:52 AM
I've had a chance to take my uke on one trip, so far. I sat and played (not too loudly) in the airport, and got lots of looks, but no questions.

GrumpyCoyote
06-12-2009, 04:53 AM
I carried mine on the plane last week...

I had quite a few questions and even some folks who immediately recognized my tenor case. My favorite was a lady who asked "is that an alto ukulele?" Most folks asked if it was a violin.

I played a bit in the airport quietly and even had a girl with a sweet parlor guitar join me for a few numbers during a layover.

I don't think I'll travel without it again. The trick is to ask to board early so that you are guaranteed to get an overhead bin. You don't want the overheads to fill up and have to check it at the door.

06-12-2009, 05:13 AM
i've taken my `ukulele on a plane a couple times already. i get approving smiles from yonder but i think i look too moke for people to come up.

Tanizaki
06-12-2009, 07:33 AM
I carried mine on the plane last week...

I had quite a few questions and even some folks who immediately recognized my tenor case. My favorite was a lady who asked "is that an alto ukulele?" Most folks asked if it was a violin.

I played a bit in the airport quietly and even had a girl with a sweet parlor guitar join me for a few numbers during a layover.

I don't think I'll travel without it again. The trick is to ask to board early so that you are guaranteed to get an overhead bin. You don't want the overheads to fill up and have to check it at the door.

My recent trip to Japan was my first time to travel since I started playing. Only one stewardess asked me about it as I was getting off the plane at Narita; she asked if it was a violin.

Domestically, TSA policies are here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm

The airlines are free to make their own rules, but they tend to be very understanding about the fragile nature of musinstruments. So, a person probably wouldn't be forced to check a uke. My guess is that the sexy stewardesses would find a place in cabin to stow it.

Tangent: It is always a shock to the system after I change planes from international to domestic flights. Goodbye sexy stewardesses, hello battle axes.

haolejohn
06-12-2009, 07:02 PM

I BROUGHT A TENOR WITH ME. I have flown with both a gig bag and a hard case and I have had no problems.

On the flight from East coast to West coast I took it out and played for about 30 minutes. It wasn't too loud b/c we were sitting on the wing (emergency exit seating is the best if you can't afford the big seats in front) and I had a small crowd that enjoyed my playing. I put my uke under the seats. the tenor actuall takes up two seats because of its length but I never get in trouble and the wife is always next to me.

RON<>VA
06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
As I mentioned before, I found out about UU from a couple while waiting for my free Ukulele lesson at the Lahaine Cannery Mall. He was sitting in the audience and we just started talking about Ukulele's and he told me about the place, so I had to check it out.

Always funny what you notice when you travel..... On that same trip, on our flight to Maui we had to catch a connection in LAX. I bumped into a girl carrying her Ukulele, but I think she thought I was a stalker when I asked what kind of Ukulele she had....

Oldest pick-up line in the world. . . Hey baby, what kind of Uke do you play? :love:

Roy Jovero
06-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm a TSA employee, and there are no issues with bringing an ukulele as a carry-on. If you have a pickup, be prepared to have a screener check it. Since most acoustic-electrics, use 9 volt batteries, TSO's tend to freak out and call for a bag check. There are actually a couple TSO's that I work with that wanted to check out my KoAloha because I left the tuner clipped onto the headstock. The main point is that you wouldn't want to use your uke to hide something that goes boom. :)

I'd recommend a hardcase, but at very least a hard-sided case. Passengers tend to shove their crap into the overheads, so a gig bag would provide little to no protection.

Fred Miu
06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
i need to get a new case then.....

Roy Jovero
06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
i need to get a new case then.....

I got an extra hard-sided case I don't need. I can bring it to the Norcal meet unless you need it before. Lemme know.

danged
06-12-2009, 09:23 PM
i've taken my `ukulele on a plane a couple times already. i get approving smiles from yonder but i think i look too moke for people to come up.

Hey Brah, I can relate to dat! I came back from Maui 2 years ago, after visiting Cheryl at Mele Ukulele wit 3 ukes in my arms. In Kahalui airport, Da locals no pay any attention, (but I am classified as a "Big Braddah") and some H--le wahini vacationing in Maui asked if I wuz Izzy.:wtf: Wanted to choke her fo disrespecting Braddah Iz's name, I stopped and pronounced his name properly, nice and slow, also told her he passed away many years ago. She apologized and went on her way.

Fred Miu
06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I got an extra hard-sided case I don't need. I can bring it to the Norcal meet unless you need it before. Lemme know.

i gots a tenor, does it fit? if so, i gotcha covered for it.

Roy Jovero
06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
i gots a tenor, does it fit? if so, i gotcha covered for it.

Yessir, it's a tenor case!.

E-Lo Roberts
06-13-2009, 05:45 AM

PihSant, I just got back from Walt Disney World in Flordia on Monday. I carried a concert on the Delta flight there and back along with a regular carry on suitcase for my personal belongings. There was no problem at all getting through security or boarding the plane. I just put my luggage in the over head bid and my uke under my seat with me. It was great to play a little uke while waiting to board my flights. Passed the time nicely. Since I played softly, no one could hear it but me and so it wasn't a bother to those who don't get the uke vibe...thanks, e.lo...

Fred Miu
06-13-2009, 06:24 AM
ive been on a lot of airlines, and i havent gotten anything from them. i bring my uke and my back pack on. only a couple times i played on the plane, the guy next to me liked it and wanted more haha.

just bring it on like it was a regular carry on and there should be no problems.

Lori
06-13-2009, 06:48 AM
If you travel to Hawaii to buy a uke, do you still bring a uke with you? The trip back would have you carrying at least 2 ukes!! I would be traveling with my husband (but what if he finds a uke too?) Any thoughts?

–Lori

russ_buss
06-13-2009, 06:51 AM
If you travel to Hawaii to buy a uke, do you still bring a uke with you? The trip back would have you carrying at least 2 ukes!! I would be traveling with my husband (but what if he finds a uke too?) Any thoughts?

–Lori

you can always ship one or five of those ukes back home. along with a case of macadamia nuts.:)

save you from having to lug it around the terminal.

Choboy
06-13-2009, 07:37 AM

why do you say that?

sorry for the late response.
me personally. i come home from work and play ukulele instantly. im always on UU at work. i dont eat cause of the uke. and i sleep really late cause of the uke. this passion im sure is somewhat short term, but the long term love will be there. other people that i know play uke don't want to jam with me or don't want to join uke clubs. we are the few. we are the proud. we are the ukers.

haolejohn
06-13-2009, 11:05 AM

–Lori

Lori, I brought my tenor but we didn't bring my wife's uke. i want to buy her a nice "K" uke while we are here. I don't know when we are buying her uke so I had to bring mine so i can play until we buy hers.

wickedwahine11
06-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Lori, I brought my tenor but we didn't bring my wife's uke. i want to buy her a nice "K" uke while we are here. I don't know when we are buying her uke so I had to bring mine so i can play until we buy hers.

Which "K" are you thinking of getting her?

As for me, I do bring mine when I travel. I like to play it while waiting to board the plane, though I do tend to find a corner off somewhere to keep to myself...I get lots of looks, occasional smiles.

Only time I had a problem was with a flight attendant on a recent flight. I specifically chose the overhead compartment near my seat that already had some bags in it so that it wouldn't get smashed on the bottom of someone's bag. After I gently placed it in the overhead, and closed the compartment, the attendant came rushing over screaming at me that it was going to fall on someone when the bin opened. We got into a bit of a disagreement, as I didn't like the way they were shoving it into another compartment all rough.

Only other minor inconvenience is that I always detune the strings for slack before the flight, and one time forgot and had to do it in the jetway as I was in line to get on the plane.

interp1
06-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Does anyone put your ukulele under the seat in front of you? I consider that the safest spot and always put mine there. Consequently, I hate bulkhead seating. I also prefer window seating, as no one will kick it by mistake.

On the airlines that I travel on (mostly United and US Airways), they seem to just announce, "You are limited to two carry-on items, including your personal belonging." In effect, they aren't making any difference between regular carry-on and a personal item.

Tanizaki
06-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Only other minor inconvenience is that I always detune the strings for slack before the flight, and one time forgot and had to do it in the jetway as I was in line to get on the plane.

Why do you do that?

benmealer
06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Just flew from NYC to TN on us air and northwest with a tenor in a hard case without a problem. On the way back I had a Tenor in a hard case a backpack and a new (To me,at least. I got Deached!) banjo ukulele and got asked to play a song by the stewardess. No problems carying them on.

haolejohn
06-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Which "K" are you thinking of getting her?

Not sure I was going to get her a kamaka pineapple but she didn't like pineapple feel. We went to swap meet today and I played a kanilea and was not impressed with it. The honu next to it sounded just as good. Now the Kanilea 8 string i played sounded great so i guess it is a matter of her finding what she wants. She played my friend Dave's vintage kamaka and fell in love with it, so kamaka is my starting point but i have a small budget unless we were to combine our wants into one.

wickedwahine11
06-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Why do you do that?

I figure better safe than sorry. I heard of a lot of people who do it because the tension on the neck from having the strings tuned can be affected by air pressure. A lot of other people said that is an urban legend, but I figure I'd rather take a few minutes to detune and retune my ukuleles than not do it and end up wrecking tje ukulele.

Tanizaki
06-14-2009, 03:52 AM
I figure better safe than sorry. I heard of a lot of people who do it because the tension on the neck from having the strings tuned can be affected by air pressure. A lot of other people said that is an urban legend, but I figure I'd rather take a few minutes to detune and retune my ukuleles than not do it and end up wrecking tje ukulele.

The pressurized cabin will not have the slightest effect on the instrument. Even if it did, I don't understand what the theory behind string-loosening is. Is the idea that the change in air pressure makes the wood ultra fragile so that strings at normal tension would snap the instrument like a toothpick?

"Better safe than sorry" only applies if there is an actual risk to be avoided. If an idea is contradicted by empirical evidence, that idea is wrong.

wickedwahine11
06-14-2009, 05:45 AM
The pressurized cabin will not have the slightest effect on the instrument. Even if it did, I don't understand what the theory behind string-loosening is. Is the idea that the change in air pressure makes the wood ultra fragile so that strings at normal tension would snap the instrument like a toothpick?

"Better safe than sorry" only applies if there is an actual risk to be avoided. If an idea is contradicted by empirical evidence, that idea is wrong.

Fair enough, do what you like, but as Rayan stated he has seen necks snap off (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97114&postcount=24), and Khrome said here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97444&postcount=37) and haole said here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97466&postcount=38) it may not be worth the risk.

In fairness to your point, kailua (a pilot) - http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97877&postcount=44 - and others agree with you, and said no damage can be done. You are probably right, but I'm still not taking any chances with my Kamaka or my Kanile'a.

Tanizaki
06-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Fair enough, do what you like, but as Rayan stated he has seen necks snap off (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97114&postcount=24), and Khrome said here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97444&postcount=37) and haole said here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97466&postcount=38) it may not be worth the risk.
Rayan guessed that the snapping necks were because of air pressure; "oh, it broke on a plane, so it must be air pressure". Khrome and haole both posited humidity variations. (I am not very persuaded by that, either). I think that it's confirmation bias. I think that jostling and general mishandling are much more plausible causes of the damage. Does anyone even bother to report if the damage is consistent with the vectors of string tension?

Cabin altitude, once you're at the cruising altitude, is generally at 8,000 ft as a compromise between the comfort of humans and the structural needs of the aircraft. Would anyone here expect their instrument to fly apart halfway up Mauna Kea?

In fairness to your point, kailua (a pilot) - http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97877&postcount=44 - and others agree with you, and said no damage can be done. You are probably right, but I'm still not taking any chances with my Kamaka or my Kanile'a.

I would like to sell you my anti-ninja belt. It keeps away ninja. For as long as I have been wearing it, I have never been attacked by a band of ninja. Better safe than sorry, right? $59.95 is a small price to pay for such protection.

wickedwahine11
06-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I would like to sell you my anti-ninja belt. It keeps away ninja. For as long as I have been wearing it, I have never been attacked by a band of ninja. Better safe than sorry, right? $59.95 is a small price to pay for such protection.

Nice, really nice. Why you have to be so obnoxious is beyond me. I shouldn't even dignify that with a response, but I can't help myself...

We have a simple difference of opinion, and I actually went out of my way to show you that while mine may not be based in science, it certainly was not solitary - a number of other people, including a board moderator, detuned as well before long flights. Apparently you not only think I'm a fool, but that Rayan, khrome and haole are as well.

In an effort to be polite, and keep our discussion respectful, I also ignored your prior sarcastic cutting remark "'Better safe than sorry' only applies if there is an actual risk to be avoided. If an idea is contradicted by empirical evidence, that idea is wrong" in an effort to refuse to stoop to your level.

Instead, I did a search to show you why I felt the way that I did. I even included evidentiary support for your side of the argument from kailua. I even stated (which you quoted) that you were probably right, I just felt a couple of minutes of effort were worth it for instruments that cost that much money. But rather than just accept that we disagree, the fact that you have included the "ninja" remarks just proves that you are incredibly immature.

If you don't want to de-tune, don't. If I do, why do you care? The fact that you have resorted to immature, infantile sarcastic boorish behavior (the ninja comment) is completely unnecessary.

Rather than get involved in a flame war, I have a better idea, don't read my posts, I won't read yours. We can save everyone else a lot of trouble and bandwidth.

upskydowncloud
06-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Nice, really nice. Why you have to be so obnoxious is beyond me. I shouldn't even dignify that with a response, but I can't help myself...

We have a simple difference of opinion, and I actually went out of my way to show you that while mine may not be based in science, it certainly was not solitary - a number of other people, including a board moderator, detuned as well before long flights. Apparently you not only think I'm a fool, but that Rayan, khrome and haole are as well.

In an effort to be polite, and keep our discussion respectful, I also ignored your prior sarcastic cutting remark "'Better safe than sorry' only applies if there is an actual risk to be avoided. If an idea is contradicted by empirical evidence, that idea is wrong" in an effort to refuse to stoop to your level.

Instead, I did a search to show you why I felt the way that I did. I even included evidentiary support for your side of the argument from kailua. I even stated (which you quoted) that you were probably right, I just felt a couple of minutes of effort were worth it for instruments that cost that much money. But rather than just accept that we disagree, the fact that you have included the "ninja" remarks just proves that you are incredibly immature.

If you don't want to de-tune, don't. If I do, why do you care? The fact that you have resorted to immature, infantile sarcastic boorish behavior (the ninja comment) is completely unnecessary.

Rather than get involved in a flame war, I have a better idea, don't read my posts, I won't read yours. We can save everyone else a lot of trouble and bandwidth.

Just another example of a keyboard hero, don't worry about it. There's no need to rise the bait. If it makes any difference I too intend to loosen the strings of my uke the next time I fly with it!

upskydowncloud
06-14-2009, 09:57 AM
If an idea is contradicted by empirical evidence, that idea is wrong.

Sucks for those people that believe in god ay?

GrumpyCoyote
06-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Folks we really only have one golden rule:

"Don't be a jerk"

I will clarify that as:

"Don't post things that force a mod to be a jerk."

We are all friends here. Play nice.

upskydowncloud
06-14-2009, 10:00 AM

"Don't be a jerk"

I will add to that:

Well said that man.

wickedwahine11
06-14-2009, 10:06 AM

"Don't be a jerk"

I will clarify that as:

My apologies if I overreacted...:o

HaileISela
06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
My apologies if I overreacted...:o

I think you didn't^^

BTW, I always loosen my strings on the plane as well, especially since I did experience the changes in air pressure on myself (never gonna take a flight with flu again) and on a bottle...

Tanizaki
06-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Sucks for those people that believe in god ay?

I didn't realize that there was empirical evidence that shows either way whether or not a god or gods do or do not exist. I am certainly unable to conceive of such an experiment, but the person who does will go down in history as the greatest theologian of all time.

Ukulele JJ
06-14-2009, 11:46 AM
BTW, I always loosen my strings on the plane as well, especially since I did experience the changes in air pressure on myself (never gonna take a flight with flu again) and on a bottle...

You and the bottle felt the decrease in air pressure because you're both "containers". You have an internal air pressure (your sinuses, inner ear, etc.) that is often slow to equalize with any change in outside air pressure. If you're stuffed up from the flu, the pressure might take a very, very long time to equalize! :o

The bottle, of course, won't equalize with the outside pressure until you open the cap (or it explodes, which is unlikely in a pressurized cabin).

A ukulele, on the other hand, is "open". It has no real internal pressure. Well, technically it does, but the sound hole is plenty big enough for that pressure to instantly equalize with no ill effect on the uke.

:cheers:

JJ

Tanizaki
06-14-2009, 11:56 AM
You and the bottle felt the decrease in air pressure because you're both "containers". You have an internal air pressure (your sinuses, inner ear, etc.) that is often slow to equalize with any change in outside air pressure. If you're stuffed up from the flu, the pressure might take a very, very long time to equalize! :o

The bottle, of course, won't equalize with the outside pressure until you open the cap (or it explodes, which is unlikely in a pressurized cabin).

A ukulele, on the other hand, is "open". It has no real internal pressure. Well, technically it does, but the sound hole is plenty big enough for that pressure to instantly equalize with no ill effect on the uke.

JJ

A fun experiment to do with an empty plastic bottle, such as a water bottle, is to seal it tight at cruising altitude. Take a look at how it looks when you land. (assuming your destination is not a high altitude one)

HaileISela
06-14-2009, 11:57 AM

JJ

yeah, I know, it was just something that made me think: dude, better get them strings lose than anything else...

But I can tell you, I was soo stuffed up the pressure didn't really equalize untill ten minutes after the landing... that pain was incredible... I felt more like an exploding bottle^^

HaileISela
06-14-2009, 11:59 AM
A fun experiment to do with an empty plastic bottle, such as a water bottle, is to seal it tight at cruising altitude. Take a look at how it looks when you land. (assuming your destination is not a high altitude one)

My bottle did contain coke (the drink, not the drug) and I really enjoyed to see how the CO2 in the drink filled the under-inflation (?), though it didn't taste good anymore...

Tanizaki
06-14-2009, 12:14 PM
My bottle did contain coke (the drink, not the drug) and I really enjoyed to see how the CO2 in the drink filled the under-inflation (?), though it didn't taste good anymore...

Speaking of bottles on planes, I recently had the experience of having an unopened bottle of whiskey that I purchased duty-free abroad in a foreign airport confiscated when making a domestic connection once I was back in the US. Of course, I had no way of transferring it to my checked bagged, so the slack-jawed security folks got a round on me. Lucky for them that I buy the good stuff.

upskydowncloud
06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I didn't realize that there was empirical evidence that shows either way whether or not a god or gods do or do not exist. I am certainly unable to conceive of such an experiment, but the person who does will go down in history as the greatest theologian of all time.

You said: "If an idea is contradicted by empirical evidence, that idea is wrong."

I do believe there is evidence (a hell of a lot actually) that shows that god doesn't exist. There's a LOT of evidence that shows that the earth is rather a lot older than the Bible suggests it is, pretty much showing that it wasn't knocked up by god in 7 days. There's also a fair amount of evidence to suggest that man wasn't cast by clay either. There's also a decent amount of evidence that leads many away from the idea that woman was made from a recycled piece of rib cage from Adam.

I was merely pointing out that it's a bold statement to say that because something isn't backed up by empirical evidence - which covers pretty much all religions, being based on faith - that their belief must be wrong. Bold indeed.

I've been a member of UU for a pretty long time now and you're the first person who has posted on the boards that made me think, "hmm, this person doesn't fit in here at all". I always see the UU as a very tolerant place, whose members are pleasant and kind irrespective of your background or beliefs: you aren't one of them.

Tanizaki
06-14-2009, 12:25 PM
You said: "If an idea is contradicted by empirical evidence, that idea is wrong."

I do believe there is evidence (a hell of a lot actually) that shows that god doesn't exist. There's a LOT of evidence that shows that the earth is rather a lot older than the Bible suggests it is, pretty much showing that it wasn't knocked up by god in 7 days. There's also a fair amount of evidence to suggest that man wasn't cast by clay either. There's also a decent amount of evidence that leads many away from the idea that woman was made from a recycled piece of rib cage from Adam.
I agree that empiricism disproves Young Earth Creationism. However, I do not see the links in the logical chain that go from "The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old" to "there is no divine". Of course, I am similarly not persuaded by religious believers who claim that science somehow validates their dogma.

I was merely pointing out that it's a bold statement to say that because something isn't backed up by empirical evidence - which covers pretty much all religions, being based on faith - that their belief must be wrong. Bold indeed.
I didn't say "not backed up"; I said "contradicted". Those are two very different propositions. Zeus is not backed up, while a 10,000 year old Earth is contradicted.

I've been a member of UU for a pretty long time now and you're the first person who has posted on the boards that made me think, "hmm, this person doesn't fit in here at all". I always see the UU as a very tolerant place, whose members are pleasant and kind irrespective of your background or beliefs: you aren't one of them.

Bold. ;)

upskydowncloud
06-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Bold. ;)

The word you're looking for (you've obviously got a VERY impressive vocab...)is: correct.

GrumpyCoyote
06-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Ok -

This is now woefully off topic - and once the topic of religion gets into a thread, no good can come from it.

Shutting it down for now.

HaileISela
06-14-2009, 12:34 PM

I think people shouldn't forget that the bible is a book written in a time when people where nomads, living in a very different world than ours. and IMO the bible is a very good explanation for the creation for the time it was written in. No one should really think of seven days, but if you compare the Genesis with the theories of modern sciences like the evolution, you will find it pretty close, just sort of "simplified". the order of the events in the genesis are sort of close to the evolution theory and the theories of how the universe evolved... one should simply think of it as a collection of old wisdom. not as the only correct way of living...

as you may look at gods first creation: the word. word means information. and DNA definitely is information, so in the beginning there was DNA, and the DNA was god, and god was DNA... or something like that^^

(I think some day I'll write a book about my look on the world... should be fun^^ or boring, as you wish)

*note: this is only my look on the world, feel free to see it as an influence or don't.