Ukuleles at the airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

haolejohn

Reaction score
So I was traveling to Oahu (finally arrived about two hours ago) and we were in Seattle waiting to catch our flight. The wife and i were eating breakfast when I noticed ukuleles being carried. i met three uke players today and had to tell them about the UU. Only one seemed interested and we talked for the better part of 30 minutes about the uke and surf. The other uker just blew me off. Maybe i seemed a little weird walking up to strangers and asking what kind of uke they were carrying. Anyways better get off here there is a small swell on base and there is no one surfing it. i want to get a board and go charge the waist high sets.

hahaha. i tell people about UU as well and only half seem interested.
i think the people on UU are above average ukulele lovers.

As I mentioned before, I found out about UU from a couple while waiting for my free Ukulele lesson at the Lahaine Cannery Mall. He was sitting in the audience and we just started talking about Ukulele's and he told me about the place, so I had to check it out.

Always funny what you notice when you travel..... On that same trip, on our flight to Maui we had to catch a connection in LAX. I bumped into a girl carrying her Ukulele, but I think she thought I was a stalker when I asked what kind of Ukulele she had....

I used to travel interisland with my Mahalo Mahogany laminate pineapple in a soft case but never got asked about it, I guess just a normal carry-on in these parts. ;)

The one that seemed interested even wrote down the address. He had only been playing for a few months and I pitched all the great advice and lessons.

Gonna bring mine on a trip in two weeks :D

Would a tenor sized uke be considered a personal item, or do you have to have it as your carry on item? Anybody have experience trying to get one on a plane?

Would a tenor sized uke be considered a personal item, or do you have to have it as your carry on item? Anybody have experience trying to get one on a plane?

I just came back from Japan a few days ago. My tenor uke was a personal item and I had no problem with it on American or Japanese airlines. It fit into the overhead bin just fine.

I've had a chance to take my uke on one trip, so far. I sat and played (not too loudly) in the airport, and got lots of looks, but no questions.

I carried mine on the plane last week...

I had quite a few questions and even some folks who immediately recognized my tenor case. My favorite was a lady who asked "is that an alto ukulele?" Most folks asked if it was a violin.

I played a bit in the airport quietly and even had a girl with a sweet parlor guitar join me for a few numbers during a layover.

I don't think I'll travel without it again. The trick is to ask to board early so that you are guaranteed to get an overhead bin. You don't want the overheads to fill up and have to check it at the door.

Last edited:
I carried mine on the plane last week...

I had quite a few questions and even some folks who immediately recognized my tenor case. My favorite was a lady who asked "is that an alto ukulele?" Most folks asked if it was a violin.

I played a bit in the airport quietly and even had a girl with a sweet parlor guitar join me for a few numbers during a layover.

I don't think I'll travel without it again. The trick is to ask to board early so that you are guaranteed to get an overhead bin. You don't want the overheads to fill up and have to check it at the door.

My recent trip to Japan was my first time to travel since I started playing. Only one stewardess asked me about it as I was getting off the plane at Narita; she asked if it was a violin.

Domestically, TSA policies are here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm

The airlines are free to make their own rules, but they tend to be very understanding about the fragile nature of musinstruments. So, a person probably wouldn't be forced to check a uke. My guess is that the sexy stewardesses would find a place in cabin to stow it.

Tangent: It is always a shock to the system after I change planes from international to domestic flights. Goodbye sexy stewardesses, hello battle axes.

I BROUGHT A TENOR WITH ME. I have flown with both a gig bag and a hard case and I have had no problems.

On the flight from East coast to West coast I took it out and played for about 30 minutes. It wasn't too loud b/c we were sitting on the wing (emergency exit seating is the best if you can't afford the big seats in front) and I had a small crowd that enjoyed my playing. I put my uke under the seats. the tenor actuall takes up two seats because of its length but I never get in trouble and the wife is always next to me.

Last edited:
As I mentioned before, I found out about UU from a couple while waiting for my free Ukulele lesson at the Lahaine Cannery Mall. He was sitting in the audience and we just started talking about Ukulele's and he told me about the place, so I had to check it out.

Always funny what you notice when you travel..... On that same trip, on our flight to Maui we had to catch a connection in LAX. I bumped into a girl carrying her Ukulele, but I think she thought I was a stalker when I asked what kind of Ukulele she had....

Oldest pick-up line in the world. . . Hey baby, what kind of Uke do you play? :love:

I'm a TSA employee, and there are no issues with bringing an ukulele as a carry-on. If you have a pickup, be prepared to have a screener check it. Since most acoustic-electrics, use 9 volt batteries, TSO's tend to freak out and call for a bag check. There are actually a couple TSO's that I work with that wanted to check out my KoAloha because I left the tuner clipped onto the headstock. The main point is that you wouldn't want to use your uke to hide something that goes boom. :)

I'd recommend a hardcase, but at very least a hard-sided case. Passengers tend to shove their crap into the overheads, so a gig bag would provide little to no protection.

i've taken my `ukulele on a plane a couple times already. i get approving smiles from yonder but i think i look too moke for people to come up.

Hey Brah, I can relate to dat! I came back from Maui 2 years ago, after visiting Cheryl at Mele Ukulele wit 3 ukes in my arms. In Kahalui airport, Da locals no pay any attention, (but I am classified as a "Big Braddah") and some H--le wahini vacationing in Maui asked if I wuz Izzy.:wtf: Wanted to choke her fo disrespecting Braddah Iz's name, I stopped and pronounced his name properly, nice and slow, also told her he passed away many years ago. She apologized and went on her way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom