Looking for more info on 1995 KoAloha Ukulele

ryavenger

Reaction score
Hey all

A few years back, I inherited my grandpa's ukulele and fortunately rediscovered it this weekend. I've been a lifelong guitarist and am admittedly unfamiliar with the ukulele world.

From what I could find, I see that KoAloha celebrates their 25th anniversary this year, which based on the stamp inside, I believe would mean this was made in their first year? What stood out to me the most was that I noticed this model has a round soundhole, whereas every other one I came across has an oval soundhole.

Per my grandma, he bought it when they went on a trip to Hawaii in '96 and it's still in near perfect condition.

If anyone here could provide any additional insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 4.34.45 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 4.34.51 PM.jpg

the first KoAloha's did not have musubi sound hole, crown headstock, or unibracing. There is also a handmade label that Pops hand drew on the inside. I have a 1997 that also has the round sound hole and no unibracing, but mine does have the crown headstock. Pops made the label himself in mine. The early KoAloha's had great sound. Pops was looking to capture the Kamaka sound in the beginning, and then, through his R&D, he discovered a unique voicing for the KoAloha's. Prior to 1995 he was making Mini ukes that were tuneable (https://ukesahawaii.com/product/masterpiece-mini-pineapple-sunday). The musubi sound hole and crown headstock were to make the KoAloha stand out from the others. The unibracing is what gives the KoAloha its unique voicing. You have a very valuable ukulele--- congrats!

Last edited:
Awesome uke! The early KoAlohas were made completely by hand and used koa for the necks, fretboards, and bridges. It’s expensive and time-consuming to build ukes that way. Bet it sounds amazing!
Check out the KoAloha Story video if you have the time. Really fascinating people!

Awesome uke! The early KoAlohas were made completely by hand and used koa for the necks, fretboards, and bridges. It’s expensive and time-consuming to build ukes that way. Bet it sounds amazing!
Check out the KoAloha Story video if you have the time. Really fascinating people!

I have a 2003 LN Soprano that is a one piece Koa body, Koa next. Do you (or anyone) know what year they started to "modernize" and were no longer being made by hand?

I have a 2003 LN Soprano that is a one piece Koa body, Koa next. Do you (or anyone) know what year they started to "modernize" and were no longer being made by hand?

They are all made by hand, even to this day. the difference is that in 1995 all of the ukes were made directly by Pops. Then it was Pops and his son, Paul, who is now the Master luthier at KoAloha. At the factory now are craftsmen who have been with Koaloha for year who still handmake each ukulele. If you want one directly made by Pops, alone, you need to find one of these early ones like you have, or go to ukesahawaii.com for his newer ukes which are all made completely by him, to this day. AS for Modernizing, Pops is always inventing new way to make his ukes better. It is not so much modernizing but different. I have been working with Pops for the past 5 years, and truly, no two of his ukes are the same.

Very cool! What a special instrument both in terms of Koaloha history and it being your grandpa's uke!

Does anyone know where to view the "My Koaloha Story" film these days?

They are all made by hand, even to this day. the difference is that in 1995 all of the ukes were made directly by Pops. Then it was Pops and his son, Paul, who is now the Master luthier at KoAloha. At the factory now are craftsmen who have been with Koaloha for year who still handmake each ukulele. If you want one directly made by Pops, alone, you need to find one of these early ones like you have, or go to ukesahawaii.com for his newer ukes which are all made completely by him, to this day. AS for Modernizing, Pops is always inventing new way to make his ukes better. It is not so much modernizing but different. I have been working with Pops for the past 5 years, and truly, no two of his ukes are the same.

Thank you for a great, detailed response.

I think the main modernization came when they started buying mass produced necks from California for all their ukes. They still put fretboards and logo inlays on these generic necks in the factory though. I think they started getting the current version of necks around 2016, but am not sure if the previous necks that still had the crown ends were also hand made or already mass produced on mainland.

Top Bottom