PDA

View Full Version : Darbuka

Hobgoblin Steve
06-10-2009, 04:33 PM
So ive been a drummer for about 11 years, (Prog rock, prog metal, etc) and aside from my uke hobby, Ive been thinking about getting a Darbuka lately (since hearing that Small World Project cd from the NYUF). Does anybody own one? If so, what should I be looking for when purchasing? how do I tune it? Can I tune it like any drum? if you own a Drumdial, what number is yours tuned to? I dont want to do this like I did with my ukes (crappy Hilo then Mitchell then Kala, then Lanikai etc) I kind of want to get one that I dont want to replace immediately. I dont mind spending a little, Id like to keep it around 100 though. I have looked online and have found some, but any other input is appreciated.

haole
06-11-2009, 06:17 AM
I have a smallish one kicking around. No name brand on it; just a "made in Turkey" inside it. It's a really cool-sounding drum; my mom and I like to use it for acoustic jams. Mine has some regular machine nuts and bolts, but it came with a wrench to tune it. There's no right or wrong pitch for it. Some of the fancier ones have a rounded edge with recessed drum-key lugs, which make it a heck of a lot easier to tune.

Good brands for world percussion in general are Remo, LP, Meinl, Full Circle, and Toca.

Hobgoblin Steve
06-11-2009, 06:28 AM
those are the ones in particular (the ones with the exposed nuts) I want to stay away from. I should have updated this a little since finding out alot of info during the night.

I think im going to go with the Alexandria brand, they seem the most popular among Darbukas and are around my price range. As a drummer I first looked at the Remo ones, but they dont get good reviews from the players blogs I was reading.

however I still have no idea what note to tune it to :P

GrumpyCoyote
06-11-2009, 06:32 AM
those are the ones in particular (the ones with the exposed nuts) I want to stay away from. I should have updated this a little since finding out alot of info during the night.

I think im going to go with the Alexandria brand, they seem the most popular among Darbukas and are around my price range. As a drummer I first looked at the Remo ones, but they dont get good reviews from the players blogs I was reading.

however I still have no idea what note to tune it to :P

I thought the "exposed nut" versions were the only ones that were tunable? Is there some enclosed device for adjustment in the others?

Hobgoblin Steve
06-11-2009, 06:34 AM
allan key (allen?)

edit, heres the one in particular I was looking at:
http://usih.merchantrunglobal.com/ImageHosting/ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1003&MerchantID=616&ImageID=1281&DisplaySize=400&ListingID=17565

GrumpyCoyote
06-11-2009, 06:50 AM
allan key (allen?)

Ahhh - I had only seen the "decorative" versions in gift shops. With what look like paste on skins.

The enclosed nuts make a ton of sense. Now I want one too! :D

Hobgoblin Steve
06-11-2009, 07:00 AM
you have got the worst impulse wants I think ive ever seen :P

haole
06-11-2009, 08:15 AM
The rounded edge looks a LOT more comfortable to play. I'd say go for that one, especially if it has mostly positive reviews. :D

Hobgoblin Steve
06-11-2009, 08:28 AM
it is, and its also like under 100$

Hobgoblin Steve
06-15-2009, 11:38 AM
wanted to update this:

I ended up buying that one pictured, Ill take a quick vid when I get it