Darbuka

Hobgoblin Steve

Reaction score
So ive been a drummer for about 11 years, (Prog rock, prog metal, etc) and aside from my uke hobby, Ive been thinking about getting a Darbuka lately (since hearing that Small World Project cd from the NYUF). Does anybody own one? If so, what should I be looking for when purchasing? how do I tune it? Can I tune it like any drum? if you own a Drumdial, what number is yours tuned to? I dont want to do this like I did with my ukes (crappy Hilo then Mitchell then Kala, then Lanikai etc) I kind of want to get one that I dont want to replace immediately. I dont mind spending a little, Id like to keep it around 100 though. I have looked online and have found some, but any other input is appreciated.

I have a smallish one kicking around. No name brand on it; just a "made in Turkey" inside it. It's a really cool-sounding drum; my mom and I like to use it for acoustic jams. Mine has some regular machine nuts and bolts, but it came with a wrench to tune it. There's no right or wrong pitch for it. Some of the fancier ones have a rounded edge with recessed drum-key lugs, which make it a heck of a lot easier to tune.

Good brands for world percussion in general are Remo, LP, Meinl, Full Circle, and Toca.

those are the ones in particular (the ones with the exposed nuts) I want to stay away from. I should have updated this a little since finding out alot of info during the night.

I think im going to go with the Alexandria brand, they seem the most popular among Darbukas and are around my price range. As a drummer I first looked at the Remo ones, but they dont get good reviews from the players blogs I was reading.

however I still have no idea what note to tune it to :p

those are the ones in particular (the ones with the exposed nuts) I want to stay away from. I should have updated this a little since finding out alot of info during the night.

I think im going to go with the Alexandria brand, they seem the most popular among Darbukas and are around my price range. As a drummer I first looked at the Remo ones, but they dont get good reviews from the players blogs I was reading.

however I still have no idea what note to tune it to :p

I thought the "exposed nut" versions were the only ones that were tunable? Is there some enclosed device for adjustment in the others?

The rounded edge looks a LOT more comfortable to play. I'd say go for that one, especially if it has mostly positive reviews. :D

Top Bottom