what different between Martin Koa and mahognay ukuleles?

hank7444

Reaction score
I surffed many internet musical instrument stores and ebay,

There only have rare koa ukulele(maybe 10~20%), and most mahognay

ukulele( 80% ~ 90%).

I also discovered that koa models more expansive than mahognay models,

I don't know what is the cause of the this phenomenon~

maybe someone can tell me the reason ~ thanks a lot :bowdown::bowdown:

:):)

Mahogany is a much more common wood than koa is, so koa costs a lot more.

Your percentages are the answer.

Martin's "standard" wood was mahogany.
There were more of them made than the koa models.

Every vintage Martin I have ever seen has been Mahogany. In fact I've never seen a Koa Martin, unless it's a new model which does'nt live up to the name. If you want a real Martin, it's always Mahogany.

Every vintage Martin I have ever seen has been Mahogany. In fact I've never seen a Koa Martin, unless it's a new model which does'nt live up to the name. If you want a real Martin, it's always Mahogany.

Unless you're talking about the "real" Martin 5K - check out this link to Antiques Roadshow - Martin 5K built 1928, valued at $10,000 - $12,000

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200701A23.html

WOW, now that's nice, :bowdown:I was talking about uke's that I have seen and held first hand. The one pictured is most likely locked up.

Not quite..but kept protected. I know of a place where I can go and test one out...but Im not going to do that. UAS is muy malo! :smileybounce:

There are other vintage koa Martins that are alot less expensive than the "Holy Grail."

My Martin 5K, my wife bought me 2 yrs ago new is solid Koa................Beautiful uke which retails I think for a about 5 grand.

I have a vintage Martin 3K circa 1927. I posted pics here some time ago, but here it is for convenience:

Martin3K.jpg

Martin3KBack.jpg

Yeah, I lucked out. It's been sitting in my Dad's closet for 30 years. My Dad gave it to me for my b-day last year. Neither of us knew what we had until I did a little research. It belonged to my Great Grandfather - so in a way, it's still with its "original owner!"

Yeah, I lucked out. It's been sitting in my Dad's closet for 30 years. My Dad gave it to me for my b-day last year. Neither of us knew what we had until I did a little research. It belonged to my Great Grandfather - so in a way, it's still with its "original owner!"

Hey there c.b.fiddler. That is a pretty uke. What part of Atlanta?

What is the difference between 3k and 5k?

Actually, I work in Atllanta and live in Canton (up 575). The 3k was the second from the top of the line of Martin's line up. The 5k is a gorgeouse instrument that's more ornamented, I believe the neck is also Koa - whereas the 3k's neck is mahogany. Also, the 5k was limited in production. 3k's like mine max out at @ $5000. The 5k's in good shape that I have seen start at $5000 and go up from there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom