Soprano Ukulele Maintenance

jnicholes

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a Leolani Soprano Ukulele I got in Hawaii 10+years ago. Has decent sound still, and was my first ukulele.

I have a problem. the tuning pegs are ULTRA sensitive, by this I mean the slightest turn makes a drastic change in the pitch, making it difficult to tune. I think its the tuning pegs.

I need some advice. Should I try replacing the tuning pegs?

I am having problems with pictures, so give me a little bit.

Jared

Those are friction tuners. The gear ratio is 1:1. So if you turn the button one time, the string post turn one time. So you have to turn very little.

You could change. But it’s not worth it for a Leolani. I recommend just buy Grover gear tuners or Ping gear tuners.
About $15 a set.

Jared, can you read the manufacturer's name on the tuners? Usually on the base under the keys.

I don't know much about friction tuners. But the first thing it to verify that is what you have on it.

You might look online and see if you can find descriptions of your particular model too. They might list the tuners.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I'll see if I can find the manufacturer's name on the tuner. If it is a friction tuner, then there's no problem, and I don't need to replace it.

Thanks again,

Jared

There are various friction peg compounds and lubricants that are supposed to make friction pegs move smoother and hold better.

Several are sold at music stores and Amazon. Like: HILL The Original Peg Compound. They were originally designed for violins.

Again, I do not play ukes with friction pegs. So I don't know what works and what doesn't. There are lots of YT videos about friction tuners.

As others have said those are friction tuners and will be a direct drive between the finger button and the string capstan. I expect that your other Ukes have geared tuners on them and a drive ratio of about 14 to 1 between the finger button and the string capstan.

I love friction tuners but their use is a skill. I leave about 3/8” of string tail showing at the capstan head and that acts as a pointer for me, carefully pressure/tweak the button to move the pointer just a couple of degrees at a time. If your friction tuners have flat and parallel friction surfaces then a fibre washer between the two helps, as does gently removing any flash marks left by the moulding process.

If the strings have been on for a few years then a fresh set of Aquila’s would be a good idea, 4u’s can normally be found at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Thanks. To be honest, I didn't know there was such a thing as friction tuners. I guess I learned something.

Top Bottom