Kala Tenor Arrived Today but Why Wound Third on Aquila Strings

molinee

Reaction score
I just received my KALA KA-ST today from musicguymic and it came with Aquila strings but it has a wound third string. I was expecting all nylgut.... I don't know why I was expecting that because I am new to Uke and don't know much about string setup yet. It is tuned to GCEA. So my long winded question is: What is the purpose of a wound third? Is this wound third string a common way to go for this type of tenor Uke or I am better off getting rid of it and going to all nylgut? What would be the overall opinion? All thoughts are appreciated.

its all a matter of preference. much like having a low g string. some people like it, some people dont. try it out for a couple of days or weeks and see how you like it. if not, just switch it out. hope that helps :D

Thanks Trip.... What is the purpose of having a wound third string? Different tone? Last longer? Tactile feeling? Must be a good reason.

Thanks Trip.... What is the purpose of having a wound third string? Different tone? Last longer? Tactile feeling? Must be a good reason.
that wound C string usually has a much longer sustain. so if you are playing fingerstyle it can be an asset. its really just down to preference though. with my style of playing i prefer all nylon because the tone from the strum is much more balanced. the way i strum, when i have a wound C it tends to ring out obnoxiously and gets on my nerves.

mine came with a wound C, I strummed it twice and cut them off -- I guess I'm not a fan

If it's not what you were expecting to receive and you're not satisfied, call the seller and see if he'll swap them out for you, or at least cut you a deal on replacements.

Well it seems to me, If you guys don't like it.... I probably won't either. Will play around with it for a week and see. To be on the safe side I just ordered a set of Aquila all nylgut, a set of D'Addario J71, and a set of KO'OLAU Gold. I guess now is as good a time as any to find out what sounds good to me. Could end up right where I started.... :D
-Thanks to All.

mine came with a wound C, I strummed it twice and cut them off -- I guess I'm not a fan

If it's not what you were expecting to receive and you're not satisfied, call the seller and see if he'll swap them out for you, or at least cut you a deal on replacements.

O.O
i dont know if you literally cut the string off but that is not good to release the tension that quickly
use the tuning peg to unwind it

i spun the tension down first, then cut 'em -- i didn't have one of them little winder jobbies with me at the time

thanks for interjecting just the same, I 'spose I could set a bad example if you had not cleared this up

Thanks, and have fun!

Top Bottom