Loose Strings

PihSant

Reaction score
My wife just recently got a uke and the strings on it are really loose. They're in tune, but they bend really easily. I like it a lot. I have a KoAloha Tenor and I have Aguila strings on it. They sound good, but I really like the loose feeling strings on my wife's uke. They came on the uke when she bought it, and my wife has no clue what brand they are. I was wondering if there is a certain brand that are known for being kinda loose. Thanks. :shaka:

What color are they? Hilo Blacks that come on the Flukes and Fleas are nice and spongy. I think the Worth Browns and Worth Clears also have plenty of give too. Aquilas are one of the stiffest strings around.

That would explain why mine are so stiff. The strings on my wife's uke are white.

There must be other white strings than Aquila, but I haven't run across them. Is her uke a tenor or smaller? Aqulias on a soprano would feel looser than on your tenor. A shorter string wouldn't need to be as tight to get the same note.

What color are they? Hilo Blacks that come on the Flukes and Fleas are nice and spongy. I think the Worth Browns and Worth Clears also have plenty of give too. Aquilas are one of the stiffest strings around.
I have the aquil nylguts (no wound) on my tenor, and I've been impressed with how stretchy, bendy, and light they are. I'm surprised to hear someone say that aquilas are stiff. Which type of aquilas are you using, and what is your baseline for comparison?

I have nylguts on a tenor. They feel very stiff compared to tenors I have played with Worth Browns on them. Strings change with age, since we have to constantly tighten them to keep them in tune, but after being on my tenor a year the nylguts still feel stiffer to me than other strings I have tried.

Top Bottom