PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a concert uke

domuke
06-11-2009, 04:26 AM
Sorry this is very basic, but I'm not very musical - recent learning/progressing with the uke is my only musical background.

I have recently bought a concert uke, which I love, but I just want to clarify something about tuning. I tune it the same as a soprano (g,C,E,A I believe), and I currently use online tuners designed for sopranos with sound files for each string (I have a cherub electronic tuner on order). Question is, do I tune each string to exactly the same pitch as it would be on a soprano? Or should it be somewhat lower because it's a larger instrument? I've got it tuned to soprano pitch at the moment and it sounds OK, but I can't help thinking that the strings do seem a bit tight (and that maybe it did sound nicer before when the strings were in relative tune to eachother but a bit slacker - I guess they had stretched after I first tuned it).

Hope this makes sense to someone - thanks in anticipation of your help!

Cheers, Dom

Thumper
06-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Tune it like a soprano.

The concert neck gives your fingers more room to work with, and the body of the instrument might make the tone more full, but the tuning stays the same.

GrumpyCoyote
06-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Sorry this is very basic, but I'm not very musical - recent learning/progressing with the uke is my only musical background.

I have recently bought a concert uke, which I love, but I just want to clarify something about tuning. I tune it the same as a soprano (g,C,E,A I believe), and I currently use online tuners designed for sopranos with sound files for each string (I have a cherub electronic tuner on order). Question is, do I tune each string to exactly the same pitch as it would be on a soprano? Or should it be somewhat lower because it's a larger instrument? I've got it tuned to soprano pitch at the moment and it sounds OK, but I can't help thinking that the strings do seem a bit tight (and that maybe it did sound nicer before when the strings were in relative tune to eachother but a bit slacker - I guess they had stretched after I first tuned it).

Hope this makes sense to someone - thanks in anticipation of your help!

Cheers, Dom

Thumper got it right. The tuning is exactly the same (gCEA, generally called "C" tuning). The nomenclature of ukes (soprano, concert, tenor, etc...) is somewhat misleading. It usually only refers to the size, and not as the name would suggest, the range of tones. The exception (which makes it all the more confusing) is the baritone, which is usually tuned DGBE, like the last 4 strings on a guitar.

One note - you may see some music or tuning guidance for the uke that refers to "D" tuning (aDF#B). It's another common if somewhat older tuning. Perfectly legit, but used less than gCEA.

All that aside, the answer is - tune your concert exactly like your soprano...:D

domuke
06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Many thanks both - couldn't be clearer!

Regards

Dom

cpatch
06-12-2009, 03:48 AM
One note - you may see some music or tuning guidance for the uke that refers to "D" tuning (aDF#B).
It's worth pointing out that this is the same as a gCEA tuned uke with a capo on the second fret.