need help! quick!

LRH19200

Reaction score
hey everybody.

I just bought a tenor fluke with the rosewood fretboard for $305 with shipping..

but today i was at my local music store picking up a tuner and ran into a lanikai lfm-t for 250 and it looked like quite the uke...

i almost bout it on the spot and returned the fluke... (maybe i am just anxious)

but is the fluke worth the extra 50$??

I guess it's personal preference as to what you want. My KoAloha was ~$900. Could I have shelled out and extra ~$600 for a pineapple sundae? Sure. I was also considering buying the sceptre for an extra $300. But in the end, I was satisfied with LeeLa.

Ukuleles are not as clear cut as an electronic device is. You don't get to see the attributes that uhh, each ukulele comes with. Just pick both up and see how much you're willing to pay for what you want. I'm sure both will have their own positives and negatives.

If you like the Fluke more and feel that it was worth the extra $50, then yes. If not, then drop the Fluke and get that other ukulele.

You need to hear both and play both. Personally I don't like Fleas and Flukes, but that's personal preference and not a quality statement. Others love them and that's just great, too...but you have to hear and feel them for yourself to know what you like best.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with a Fluke, but something must have attracted you to it in the first place. And what was it about the Lanikai that caught your eye? As Mike mentioned, play with em and find which one is more comfortable and enjoyable to play, then make your decision. Another option would be to get both of them. Uh oh, looks like you've contracted UAS . . .

You are comparing apples with oranges. I have a fluke, and it serves it's purpose. It's great to take to picnics, sudden temperature changes as I live in SF where it could be 50 degrees drive 10 miles and it's 80. Now you have something to add to your new collection...

I love my Fluke. Far superior to any Lanikai I've ever played, but that's just my opinion.

I'd buy another Fluke in a second, and the "real" fretboard models are great.

Ask yourself this, "Am I enjoying the Fluke?" if the answer is yes, then keep it. Don't worry too much about what the rest of us say. To me, it's about loving what you have, not thinking about what you could have purchased.

On the other hand, if the answer is no, then you may not have bought the right uke for you just yet. Only then would I consider other options.

A Fluke is something I think a lot of us have as an "extra" axe. I keep one at work, and intend to use it as a back-up at gigs eventually. I can't see doing without it. A real workhorse uke.

I recorded what I consider some of my best stuff on my Fluke, and I write songs with it daily.

I love my fluke-- its darn near indestructible, it sounds pretty decent and its fun to look at.

Fleas/Flukes are loud, easy to tote around and are one of my favorite brands.

I say, keep the fluke.

I'd buy another Fluke in a second, and the "real" fretboard models are great.
Ditto. I have a second Fluke on my horizon, one with a rosewood fretboard. It's a good instrument - durable, playable and reasonably good sound. You won't regret it.

I gotta agree with bbycrts. You need to play them both.

I have a Kohala, which is a Lanikai product. I can't stand to play it. The only reason I still have it is that it is signed by Jake. The intonation is so awful that it hurts my ears. I thought maybe if I tuned it really really good I would be able to make it playable. NOT. Now maybe I got a lemon - but I am now suspicious of Lanikai.

As for the Fluke, I am intrigued by them. The sound is different, but not bad. I don't own one yet, but I am thinking about it.

Your ears will tell you what to do. Play them and listen.

It seems like almost everyone I know has a fluke or flea in their collection. I think they are some of the most playable ukes around. It's just sometimes we may have doubts about the cost for a plastic-backed uke. If you close your eyes, play it and listen to the sound, those doubts go away. I always recommend to those who ask that they should start with a fluke or flea.

At the WUC last weekend I was looking at the amazing, well-adorned collection of flukes in the hands of great players and realized how well they are regarded by people who own some seriously expensive ukes.

Top Bottom