Decorating my uke room

pollybell

Reaction score
I will be shortly redecorating the room I use for playing my uke (and classical guitar). I am unsure whether to replace the old carpet with a new carpet or whether to install wooden flooring.

Does the type of flooring impact on the sound?

Yes, carpeting will effect the sound. Also, the size of the room, and how much furniture you have. If you like a lot of echo, go for hardwood floor. I find that echo makes a room noisy (think of stair wells, bathrooms, etc). It might be nice if nothing else is going on... to get that natural reverb. But if you want to sing, or add other instruments, it could get too noisy. And, if you want to record yourself, that reverb will be a big problem. I have tried to remove reverb from audio recordings, and it is not really possible to do it fully without also mangling the wanted sound. However, it is easy to add reverb to a normal audio track.

I would at least have some throw rugs if you remove the carpet.

–Lori

Last edited:
I was going to put in wood floor in our music room, it would given us too much echo. Go with some thing to break up the echo. You can always add reverb if you record, you can't really remove it.

I would at least have some throw rugs if you remove the carpet.

I like that idea. Nice wood floor. Option of deadening it with a rug or two.

Best of both worlds!

JJ

Thanks folks. This gives me something to think about - also an excuse to delay the decorating until I come to a conclusion.

Depends on whether you're a messy person or not. Wood floors need to be swept and kept clean. otherwise you will obviously feel dirty. They are better for sound however. Carpet is easier to maintain cleanliness. You can easily vacuum it. They're about the same price. Just goes to show how much work you want to put into it to maintain.

I want a uke room......"Hey kids, Hurry up and move out!"

Top Bottom