Kala....solid or laminate?

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been looking at Kala tenor ukes online (UAS, big time!)

I see that the acaccia (sp?) models say that they're all solid. The koa models don't say that. Are the koas from Kala laminates?

I can't find prices for the acaccia model to compare to the koa....I thought the price might answer my question.

I can't afford to go top shelf, but I want to go solid wood. I'm more than happy with my current Kala, and would gladly buy another. I just can't afford the big "K" names at this stage of the game.....

mailman

i believe kala's koa `ukulele is laminate. MGM for certain is pretty specific to mention if the `ukulele is solid or not.

how much you willing to spend? kala, lanikai, `ohana, mainland all sell solids for ~$200 which isn't too bad (relatively speaking).

truthfully, i don't mind having a laminate, but would not spend over a bill for it.

I've been looking at Kala tenor ukes online (UAS, big time!)

I see that the acaccia (sp?) models say that they're all solid. The koa models don't say that. Are the koas from Kala laminates?

I can't find prices for the acaccia model to compare to the koa....I thought the price might answer my question.

I can't afford to go top shelf, but I want to go solid wood. I'm more than happy with my current Kala, and would gladly buy another. I just can't afford the big "K" names at this stage of the game.....

Yes, they are. I like thin (especially two-ply) laminated instruments because they hold up better on the road, at high elevations, and in arid conditions. All that glue makes for a much sturdier ukulele or guitar. What is interesting, though, is that I have always had less feedback issues on laminated guitars then solid-wood models. I have never really had feedback issues with ukuleles.

rule of thumb,

if it doesn't say solid, chances are, it's laminate. It applies to all ukuleles that you see in the future.

I don't believe KALA make a solid Koa 'ukulele.

Kala does make a few special run of solid Koa ukuleles but they are not catalog models i have a bunch of solid Koa sopranos. Also the newest mahogany in solid with the smh prefix is the newest redone model in lighter thicknessness and looks very promosing in feel and sound.

Last edited:
MGM! Glad you saw this thread. Can you tell me what the price is for the solid accacia tenor?

Kala does make a few special run of solid Koa ukuleles but they are not catalog models i have a bunch of solid Koa sopranos. Also the newest mahogany in solid with the smh prefix is the newest redone model in lighter thicknessness and looks very promosing in feel and sound.

Tell um to make me a solid pineapple. I'm not picky, Acacia or Koa will do. ;)

Top Bottom