Hilo Soprano

bnicholas26

Reaction score
i have a Hilo 2652 Soprano and looks like mahogany but i know it's not. fret board is painted black and chipping, saddle is lifting, glue everywhere inside, tuners are crap w/ plastic pegs. don't buy one (mine was a gift and i'm glad to have received as my first uke.) anyone else have a one of these???

A lot of players end up with these first, because they're common finds in Guitar Center and they're cheap. In these parts we try to steer newcomers toward Makala and Lanikai and Kamoa's inexpensive offerings instead. But if anyone out there is enjoying their Hilo despite the poor intonation, then more power to them! They must be immune to UAS.

yes

i play it everyday, but i fear i play it TOO much as it deteriorates before my eyes. (i play it 3 hours a day)

I started with that one, I lowered the absurd action to make it somewhat playable. I played it for about a month before I realized I needed something that didn't suck.

I learned my chords on it though, and that was a plus, but still that money could've went into a better starter.

It was my first uke. Compared to what I play now... yes, it's trash. But a uke is a uke. It still sounds good with d'addario strings and I can treat it like crap. So it's not top of the line, and it's definitely not the best uke to start out with. But I wouldn't trade it for anything because without this uke, I wouldn't have started playing the ukulele. :nana:

This is my entry into MGM's contest. It features me, tuning my HILO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SMelXJsMMU

Last edited:
I have a Hilo, its not the best, but like the others its my first. It plays "decently" comes out of tune a lot. But I gotta say I have a place in my heart for it. Also its easy to throw into my car and take it the pool where I work, I don't even bother with a case as bad as that sounds, if I'm jamming then I take my nicer one, but for the everyday to and fro, Hilo is my bud.

My first uke was a cheap laminate and I quickly grew restless for a better uke. You will probably end up loaning the Hilo to a friend who is interested in learning, that what happened to mine, they are usually good enough to get people hooked.

I got hooked with a Hilo, from Guitar Center, on a whim :).

My first uke was a cheap laminate and I quickly grew restless for a better uke. You will probably end up loaning the Hilo to a friend who is interested in learning, that what happened to mine, they are usually good enough to get people hooked.

Ahh yes, the beloved Hilo 2657 has a special place in my heart. I have decided that adjusting the saddle and nut will improve the intonation considerably, so I will do it. Also, when I put Martin fluorocarbons on my Flea (love 'em, btw) I put the old Aquilas from the Flea onto the Hilo and I like them there. It was the Hilo that got me hooked too.

I have a German-made Hilo (1950s perhaps). Solid mahogany body without a hint of a crack anywhere. It's no Martin, but is one sweet uke, especially in that I paid $10 for it. But I guess that was then and this is now...

i have a hilo baritone and really like it. it's a great beater uke, and i like having something i can bike around with. granted, the intonation's a little off, but i don't have any complaints, considering as it was $40. i put some aquilas on it and it sounds way better than the mahola and *shudder* amigo that i tried out in comparison.

i have a hilo baritone and really like it. it's a great beater uke, and i like having something i can bike around with. granted, the intonation's a little off, but i don't have any complaints, considering as it was $40. i put some aquilas on it and it sounds way better than the mahola and *shudder* amigo that i tried out in comparison.
I've got a Hilo Bari also, and it's not awfull, especially since I got it dirt cheap. I got it mainly as a luthierie practice project. It was dropped a some point in it's life and has a big dent in the lower bout, the tuners are pretty sad too, but it does play o k.
you guys should check out refinishing project i did, just search "hilo project"
Your project really inspired me to to do something with mine, and I hope it looks as good as yours if I ever get around to it.

Top Bottom