Pono Ohai series (not out yet)

I tried one of MGMs at the Lone Star UkeFest. It looks and sounds great, though I found the volume to be a little soft.

does anyone have info on the new solid ohia ponos? i can't wait to get my hands on the tenor!! will buy it the minute it comes out.:shaka:

I spoke to John Kitakis, owner of Ko'olau, and he will be shipping the first units out to dealers at the end of this month, there will be 4 other tenor models coming out.

OT = Basic
OTE = with pick up
OTC-E = Cedar top w/pick up
OT (S) = slotted head

I can't wait to get my hands on them! I already have a waiting list.:smileybounce:

There here.....

does anyone have info on the new solid ohia ponos? i can't wait to get my hands on the tenor!! will buy it the minute it comes out.:shaka:
Spoke yesterday with Pono and there here! We should have ours next week.:rotfl:

Ooooooh I just pulled the trigger on one of these, from MGM. It had much more prominent figuring than some of the others, which I liked. A lot.

I have had my laminate Kala soprano (my first uke) since January, and love it. I pretty much immediately wanted another one, but I have been patient (sort of -- and poor). Finally my birthday came and I decided to go for it when I saw this one. I had been planning to get an Ohana mahogany, or maybe trying to wait for the Kala acacia, but I think this will be great for me. It will be a long time before I am good enough to even think about needing a better instrument.

I am soooo excited! Thanks for listening. I don't know anyone who will understand my excitement like y'all will. My wife will pretend, cause she's sweet.

They're gorgeous. :O Monkeypod might not have the greatest reputation for anything except for a silly name, but it's actually a pretty nice looking wood and the ukes sound real nice. If one showed up in my bed I wouldn't turn it away.

(Ohia and ohai aren't the same thing! Ohai, what Pono makes the ukes out of, is monkeypod; ohia is an endemic tree in Hawai'i that blossoms with lehua flowers.)

Last edited:
I have a concert one, and while it is somewhat quieter than say a mahogany one of the same size, I really love the way it sounds. And I suppose the fact that it looks pretty amazing is an added bonus (I posted a pic of the back of it on the p*** thread).

So, I hope you'll enjoy yours too!

Last edited:
Top Bottom