Low G

lefty dan

Reaction score
Guys I'm new please help me. I made a Stewmac soprano. I played with it and found I like the low G string. I bought a low G and installed it. I tuned it to G from a tuning clip on. I have played the soprano for a month now and like the sound.Today I get my eBay concert ukulele. I ordered low G string. My question is this. If I put the low G string on. would I just tune that string to G using the clip on tuner. Will that make the concert ukulele tuned to low G and I'm done. Ive seen tenors will comenchanted saddles for low G . I'm a little confused. Any help is appreciated.
Dan

Most ukes can take a low G string with no adjustments. Some ukes may develop a slight buzz if the slot on the nut or saddle doesn't quite fit the string though. In which case, try different diameter strings, or if you must, file the slots a bit (I would only do the filling as a last resort and to address a major problem).

The short answer is - just slap it on there and tune it up! Odds are, it'll work great. You'll also know fairly quickly if it's not working. You are unlikely to hurt anything (low G is typically low enough tension to not bother most ukes) either way.

Top Bottom