Largest Ukulele Ensemble: "WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT - CHICAGO!"

lisaxy424

Reaction score
An announcement from the "Largest Ukulele Ensemble" Facebook Group:
PLAY A PART IN HISTORY!

In acknowledging Hawaii's 50th anniversary of statehood on August 16, one of Hawaii's most important musical contribution to the world, the ukulele; and honoring George Harrison, John Lennon and the Beatles music, we are delighted to make the following announcement . . .

In collaboration with The Fest for Beatles Fans, Sitar Emporium LLC dba Wonderwall Music Shoppe & Emporium is calling on YOU to be a part of a "WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT" - Largest Ukulele Ensemble!

This historic event will take place on: SUNDAY, AUGUST 16, 2009 in the Main Ballroom at the HYATT REGENCY O'HARE, Rosemont, IL. Time TBA.

This will be fun for all ages! I can reveal that the song we will play in attempt for this record is "Love Me Do" - check back with the Facebook group above for the arrangement.

Bring the kids - bring the non-uker spouses (I'm teaching my husband the 3 chords the song requires just to get another body there!)

Hope to see you there!!!

aw i wanna GO. so its the rosemont place in chicago and not the other place? there two different locations listed, and one is more west oh the Chi?

yayyy

London Uke Fest FTW.

Seems like everyone's trying to break this record. The Ukulele Orchestra of GB have got an eye on it with their Proms strumalong. And the Albert Hall holds 5000 people.

We should have done this at the UWC. At least we could have had the record for a couple weeks. I thought I heard somewhere that there currently is no record....or maybe that was a dream....I rarely know what I'm talking about.

Last I heard the record was 401 in Stockholm.

aw i wanna GO. so its the rosemont place in chicago and not the other place? there two different locations listed, and one is more west oh the Chi?

yayyy

Shani, that would be way cool if you made it down for this! Bring your friends too - even if they don't uke...we should just bring our extra ukes and pass 'em out to the Chicago hobos to play too! ;)

I'm pretty sure it's IN Rosemont, but it's being considered Chicago - I'm not sure though, I'll ask about it at our next meeting. It's a whole Beatles fest, which I think would be downtown - I dunno! :(

I'll keep you posted - hope to see you in a couple months!!!

Did some quick checking. The hotel looks like it is less then a mile from O'Hare Airport but that is quite an expansive area.

I pulled up the capacity chart for the hotel from it's website and the site Lisa linked to said "Main Ballroom." But according to the chart it doesn't list a "Main Ballroom" but it shows a "Grand Ballroom" with a capacity in a reception setting of 5300 folks. So if the bodies can be collected into the spot we/ the colonies might stand a chance. The link to the hotel is: http://ohare.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Surprisingly it looks like it is actually possible to walk to the hotel from O'Hare Airport although it would be a lot longer then just a mile or so.

Unfortunately it's our wedding anniversary. :(

If only I wasn't at camp this week... I would so be there!

June 15th Update

Update from the "Largest Ukulele Ensemble" Facebook Group:

Offical 'LOVE ME DO' printout is available for download at:
http://www.steverichardsonart.com/BeatlesLoveMeDo_WorldRecord.pdf

Please note, there is an admission charge to the Fest. Go to: www.thefest.com for ticket info.
Just remember - the arrangement is specifically easy so ANY ukulele player who's there will get a shot at being successful!

Come for the record attempt, stay for the BEATLES FEST! :)

Last edited:
soo, i was looking...again...and do we really have to pay to get into the fest? its like $42 for sunday or something and that might greatly hinder the amount of people that show up, i dunno.

is that something we'd have to do :/?

There are rules and certification required, in order to get into the Guiness Book. I believe Woodshed Al is correct about the Stockholm record. La Quinta Hotels in Hawaii attempted the record, but many were just holding the ukes with muted strings and strumming nothing. There was video showing that. We've got enough true ukulele players in California to slaughter those records and attempts, but the issue would be in the logistics of getting everyone together - parking, access, venue. Ric

soo, i was looking...again...and do we really have to pay to get into the fest? its like $42 for sunday or something and that might greatly hinder the amount of people that show up, i dunno.

is that something we'd have to do :/?

Shani - you're good! I actually haven't even clicked on a link yet - I'm just relaying the info from Facebook. I'll ask Gigi, the uke coordinator, when I see her later this week and get back to you with an answer! :D

Top Bottom