PDA

View Full Version : Forum Chat

ukusaurus
03-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I've seen some other random forum somewhere on the internet where there was like a mini chat room type deal at the very top of the forums. Thinking maybe something like that would be a neat little addition.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-25-2008, 12:42 AM
yeah, every forum that im joined to now has a chat like this - its called live chat in every forum. weird.

Terrell
03-25-2008, 06:30 PM
rawr! yep good idea for the chat thread u guys!:D now i can make my move in catchign fred in the post count. haha i just have to poison him to make it so he can't type for a couple weeks. lol

davoomac
03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Until then we can always IM each other the usual way. AIM, MSN, Gtalk... :D

SMillette92
04-19-2008, 07:42 PM
The problem with an open chat is that there will always be some jerk who just comes on to swear and say the ukulele is stupid... Just something to consider.

Jimmy
04-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Of course, we could just use an IRC Channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRC) on Freenode. Maybe allow a few people adminship, and seeing as there's usually a crowd around here at any time, it'd be quite active.

Just an alternative to think about.

Howlin Hobbit
04-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Yeah, out of all the forums I've been on that had a live chat, this one would be the one where it might work. Usually you go into the little chat thing and you're the only one there. Here there's almost always at least 8 or 10 other folks on when I'm on.

But then again... I already spend too much time online. Not sure a live chat is what I need. :eek:

Dominator
04-20-2008, 11:10 AM
My only concern would be with the spammers/hecklers/trouble makers or whatever you want to call them. They always seem to invade the Open Mic chat sessions but fortunately it's usually towards the end. I use Skype for IM stuff and it is free and works better now than it ever has. Fred and I communicate pretty regularly with it.

UkuCouS
04-20-2008, 01:34 PM
My only concern would be with the spammers/hecklers/trouble makers or whatever you want to call them

If some chat moderators are connected they should kick/ban them.
This forum is pretty international, witch means there is almost always someone connected at every hours of day & night.
It would'nt be very hard to moderate.

UkuleleHill
04-20-2008, 03:33 PM
And alot of forum chats and made soley for forum users...

degracia
04-20-2008, 06:59 PM
If some chat moderators are connected they should kick/ban them.
This forum is pretty international, witch means there is almost always someone connected at every hours of day & night.
It would'nt be very hard to moderate.

Or we can always be a voting. Like if someone's is causing troubling/heckling, maybe there is a feature where a minimum amount of members can veto for a ban/kick. and that person is automatically out.

The live chat sounds like a good idea. I'm usually on board 3-4 hours (on & off). This would be a great way to communicate with others and get to know one another.

Jimmy
04-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Really, I think IRC is the best method. We don't need to get the admins to set anything up, you just go to an IRC client and put in "/join #ukeunderground". Then bam, it's there. No hassle.

Photojosh
04-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Though I am not familiar with the backend of vB forum software (which is odd because my job is as a Web Communities Administrator), I'm going to guess that using a vB integrated chat plugin would be the best way to keep out the jerks. Very few idiots are going to go through the trouble of registering with the board just to hop onto a chat and be annoying. And even if they did, any admin or moderator who was also in the chat could easily kick/ban them from the chat and/or site.

IRC is a pain for a lot of people who are too used to the ease of java chat type systems. Plus, I have experienced more troll problems in IRC chat rooms than I have ever seen with forum integrated clients.

Ukeguy510
05-04-2008, 09:34 PM
+1 vote for an IRC chat room.

The tech is already there and there are a lot of management features (ie. banning, user registration, filters, multi-level administration). You can always create a simple FAQ instructing users on how to get on. There are also Java IRC clients you can integrate into the website if that stuff is too complicated.

Ukulele_Junkie
05-05-2008, 12:16 AM
if u guys want to chat with each other jus use the uu mogulus site. Just make ur nickname no on screen set up or anything.

http://www.mogulus.com/ukuleleunderground

Rod
05-16-2008, 04:25 PM
If anyone else is sitting at home on a Friday night reading the forum and ukulele videos, feel free to join me UU Mogulus channel for some chat.

http://www.mogulus.com/ukuleleunderground

deach
05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm in!!!!!!

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-16-2008, 07:03 PM
nice chat we had there haha, but i left a bit after you Deach :D :D

Rod
05-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Im still here watching the replay of the pre-recorded open-mic. :)

davoomac
05-16-2008, 07:41 PM
sorry guys, lots of stuff going on over here. Just let me know next time you all get on chat :D

NotoriousMOK
05-16-2008, 07:41 PM
bonus open-mic rerun in the chat room -- :nana:

Rod
05-16-2008, 11:12 PM
umm yeah im still here watching the open mic re-runs. Great show!

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-17-2008, 01:37 AM
im in there now just listening.. anybody wanna chat??

Bassukuguy
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I brought this up during the undies tonight, are there any other people down for this? idk id like it personally. or atleast something like a shoutbox or something to that fact.

idk just an opinion

BboyEmperor
02-08-2009, 01:51 PM
You'll see me in the UU chat room 24/7. Hope it doesn't auto-log-me-off like when I'm idle from the UU forums for a while :x

HaileISela
02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
isn't there some kind of platform which provides chat windows you can put on the forum?

HaileISela
02-09-2009, 03:31 AM
I found one:

http://www.phpfreechat.net/ (http://www.phpfreechat.net/)

maybe that could be included into the UU somewhere???

rayan
02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
We want to do a forum chat the only thing is the moderation of a constantly on chatroom is a lot harder than modding a forum. Anyone want to stay in the room 24/7 to make this happen? Love the idea though as the chats in all of our streams are epic. You guys are all so frickin funny.

Bassukuguy
02-10-2009, 06:11 PM
couldnt we make it members only? i mean seriously how often do you have to delete topics due to mean spiritedness or foul language? idk...

BboyEmperor
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
couldnt we make it members only? i mean seriously how often do you have to delete topics due to mean spiritedness or foul language? idk...

that sounds good.
and make sure it's members+ only; not junior members?
because then people could just easily sign up and then join it.
don't you think?

Fred Miu
02-11-2009, 09:06 AM
that sounds good.
and make sure it's members+ only; not junior members?
because then people could just easily sign up and then join it.
don't you think?

i agree to the fullest with that. if you make it like senior members, that means that we for sure know that these people have been posting and will not spam, nor, TRY, to start any trouble.

deach
02-11-2009, 09:11 AM
i agree to the fullest with that. if you make it like senior members, that means that we for sure know that these people have been posting and will not spam, nor, TRY, to start any trouble.

I'd cause trouble.

HaileISela
02-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I'd cause trouble.

you're not a senior anymore deach, you're an Uke Hero, so you have special rights... or you'll have to stay in the "Ukulele Hero Only" chat...^^

MissJess
02-11-2009, 09:19 AM
somewhere on the internet

Seen www.ukulelesocialclub.com? There's a live chat there.

rayan
02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
we're testing a chatroom right now. it looks really good. just don't over warn each other because once you're banned, you're banned with this one.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/chat/

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
you're not a senior anymore deach, you're an Uke Hero, so you have special rights... or you'll have to stay in the "Ukulele Hero Only" chat...^^

i'd love to talk with deach 4 the rest of my life

HaileISela
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
works fine for me, but there's advertisement in it...

UkuleleHill
02-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Awesome! Thanks Rayan!

ukulele2544
07-11-2009, 03:03 AM
yes, that would be a great idea!!

Melissa82
11-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Whatever happened with this? I think we really need a chat room.

dirk.li
11-13-2009, 10:37 PM
A little chat like in Facebook would be great. I never experienced any problems there... maybe only friends should appear in the UU chat? That would make it easier maybe and keep out troublemakers.

Oh... I just found the embedded chat... too bad, nobody was online! I'll try again later... :-)