Forum Chat

ukusaurus

Reaction score
I've seen some other random forum somewhere on the internet where there was like a mini chat room type deal at the very top of the forums. Thinking maybe something like that would be a neat little addition.

yeah, every forum that im joined to now has a chat like this - its called live chat in every forum. weird.

Of course, we could just use an IRC Channel on Freenode. Maybe allow a few people adminship, and seeing as there's usually a crowd around here at any time, it'd be quite active.

Just an alternative to think about.

Yeah, out of all the forums I've been on that had a live chat, this one would be the one where it might work. Usually you go into the little chat thing and you're the only one there. Here there's almost always at least 8 or 10 other folks on when I'm on.

But then again... I already spend too much time online. Not sure a live chat is what I need. :eek:

My only concern would be with the spammers/hecklers/trouble makers or whatever you want to call them. They always seem to invade the Open Mic chat sessions but fortunately it's usually towards the end. I use Skype for IM stuff and it is free and works better now than it ever has. Fred and I communicate pretty regularly with it.

My only concern would be with the spammers/hecklers/trouble makers or whatever you want to call them

If some chat moderators are connected they should kick/ban them.
This forum is pretty international, witch means there is almost always someone connected at every hours of day & night.
It would'nt be very hard to moderate.

And alot of forum chats and made soley for forum users...

If some chat moderators are connected they should kick/ban them.
This forum is pretty international, witch means there is almost always someone connected at every hours of day & night.
It would'nt be very hard to moderate.

Or we can always be a voting. Like if someone's is causing troubling/heckling, maybe there is a feature where a minimum amount of members can veto for a ban/kick. and that person is automatically out.

The live chat sounds like a good idea. I'm usually on board 3-4 hours (on & off). This would be a great way to communicate with others and get to know one another.

Really, I think IRC is the best method. We don't need to get the admins to set anything up, you just go to an IRC client and put in "/join #ukeunderground". Then bam, it's there. No hassle.

Though I am not familiar with the backend of vB forum software (which is odd because my job is as a Web Communities Administrator), I'm going to guess that using a vB integrated chat plugin would be the best way to keep out the jerks. Very few idiots are going to go through the trouble of registering with the board just to hop onto a chat and be annoying. And even if they did, any admin or moderator who was also in the chat could easily kick/ban them from the chat and/or site.

IRC is a pain for a lot of people who are too used to the ease of java chat type systems. Plus, I have experienced more troll problems in IRC chat rooms than I have ever seen with forum integrated clients.

+1 vote for an IRC chat room.

The tech is already there and there are a lot of management features (ie. banning, user registration, filters, multi-level administration). You can always create a simple FAQ instructing users on how to get on. There are also Java IRC clients you can integrate into the website if that stuff is too complicated.

sorry guys, lots of stuff going on over here. Just let me know next time you all get on chat :D

Top Bottom