Confused Electronic Tuner: C is G?

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have been noticing that a lot of times, when I am tuning my C string, it keeps registering "G" on my electronic tuner. I will keep playing the note, and the reading will shift between G and C, yet I know it is really close to C, and not G. Is there something about those two notes that causes confusion to the tuner (are there too many overtones (is that the right word?)) or is this something that is just a problem with my specific tuner? I get this same effect on all of my ukes, so I don't think it is the uke.

–Lori

Try this little trick: Pluck your C string nice and loud, then mute it right away with your finger and listen. Then try the same thing again, except keeping your G sting muted the whole time. You should notice a ringing in the first case (the G string vibrating sympathetically with the C), which, who knows, might be tripping your tuner up.

Might be that the batteries are running low.

JJ

If is time to replace the batteries in the tuner? If not, try tuning to a 12th fret harmonic instead of an open string.

umm... battery

I have tried muting the G string, while plucking the C string, and it still happens. I haven't changed the battery since I got it though, and it has gotten a lot of use. It didn't occur to me that could be the problem! I will get a new battery today, and see if that fixes it!

Thanks!

–Lori

Is it a clipon, some of them have trouble with the short scale ukuleles.

12th fret harmonic is the best way around this.

If my math is correct, G is a harmonic of C, usually found at the 7th fret.

If batteries don't cure the problem, move the tuner. You want to find a place that gives you a strong fundamental with minimal harmonic interference.

Yep, pretty typical behavior. Mic driven tuners are notorius for this. Direct line and vibration tuners handel it a bit better, but can still get confuzzled.

Same advice as above:

1) Change the batteries
2) Use the 12th fret harmonic
3) Move the tuner

I'll add

4) Make sure the mic is clear of dust

new batteries helped

I just got a new battery, and it does seem better. Not completely free from the problem, but better. This is a vibration tuner, rather than a mic tuner, so I will try to reposition it. Also, I have been playing my soprano sized ukes a lot, so the smaller size might be a factor. When I first started playing, I was only playing a tenor. Second uke was a long neck soprano. But my newest ones are both soprano, and I have been playing them a lot, to try and test out the shorter fretboard.

Thanks for the ideas!
–Lori

I just got a new battery, and it does seem better. Not completely free from the problem, but better. This is a vibration tuner, rather than a mic tuner, so I will try to reposition it. Also, I have been playing my soprano sized ukes a lot, so the smaller size might be a factor. When I first started playing, I was only playing a tenor. Second uke was a long neck soprano. But my newest ones are both soprano, and I have been playing them a lot, to try and test out the shorter fretboard.

Thanks for the ideas!
–Lori

Where are you putting it right now?

Yes!

Where are you putting it right now?

I had been placing it in the center top of the headstock. I just tried an experiment: first placing it at the center top, then moving it toward the edge right next to the C string tuning peg. That seems to be the solution! When in the center position, it is doing that confused C-G reading. Moving it over that small amount (about a half an inch) really makes a difference!

Thanks
Lori

I had been placing it in the center top of the headstock. I just tried an experiment: first placing it at the center top, then moving it toward the edge right next to the C string tuning peg. That seems to be the solution! When in the center position, it is doing that confused C-G reading. Moving it over that small amount (about a half an inch) really makes a difference!

Thanks
Lori

Yeah - for some reason my Fluke will baffle the vibration tuner unless I move it directly over the side of the strings I'm tuning. I think the stout neck and concert length make it a little touchy.

It's actually an excuse to get a second tuner. Eventually you will get a tuner for each ukulele. It's called UTAS - Ukulele Tuner Acquisition Syndrome. It's something UAS sufferers come down with as a secondary infection.​

When I used my mic guitar tuner, mine would do the same thing. I bought a clip on tuner at a uke shop and haven't had that problem since.

I have been noticing that a lot of times, when I am tuning my C string, it keeps registering "G" on my electronic tuner. I will keep playing the note, and the reading will shift between G and C, yet I know it is really close to C, and not G. Is there something about those two notes that causes confusion to the tuner (are there too many overtones (is that the right word?)) or is this something that is just a problem with my specific tuner? I get this same effect on all of my ukes, so I don't think it is the uke.

–Lori

I have exactly the same problem - at first i thought it was random (as sometimes it was OK and others not)

As it turned out, when I clipped the tuner on the top of the headstock, it got confused - when I clipped it on the side and nearer the neck, it was OK. When I sused the mic, it was also OK. Try moving the clip-on or using the mic

guitars have the same problem

I told my husband about this solution, and it helped him with the same kind of problem tuning his semi-acoustic electric guitar. Some of the strings, especially the lower strings E and A, sometimes don't register on the tuner. He has tried adjusting the placement of the clip on, and it seems to be helping.

Thanks,
–Lori

Top Bottom