No Two Sides -original song

Jeffelele

Reaction score
Last edited:
Don’t know why link isn’t working. Wil try to figure it out and fix ASAP.

Thanks.

Both worked fine for me on my Mac desktop.

Thanks. It seems to be all in order now.

Worked for me now.
Do you perform, (when there isn't a pandemic?)
I enjoyed that. I'll have to listen more to get all the lyrics, but will do so.
What kind of ukulele were you playing?

Thanks JU. Uke is a Kamaka concert.

It’s been a very long time since I did any public performance. I did love doing it. Right before the pandemic hit I was thinking of doing some open mic just to get used to performing. I think of open mic performance as being a good way to toughen yourself up ha ha.

Coming up with the lyrics is usually the start of song writing for me. Maybe write a little get a feeling for the music and then finish the song. I think of songs I write as little stories or expressions of shared feelings or empathy.

The lyrics in this song we’re unusual for me as they were the products of a very long time as in decades of having a couple of ideas on my mind. Also they’re a bit different because I ended up wanting to take two experiences that was separated by a very long time as from when I was a kid to when my daughter was a kid. I choose to real events to use and I also decided to write it the exact way the actions happened and was surprised when it came out as a poem. Mostly I write the basic song very quickly but not in this case.

The song was finished about six years ago and I decided to record it and share it now as the approaching 9/11 anniversary is coming up shortly.

I’d be interested to know what you think.

Last edited:
I wasn’t able to catch all of the lyrics on my first listen (any chance you could provide us with them?), but I found the melody quite catchy, and I really liked your voice and the way you played the song in your uke. There was an intensity about the whole recording that made it quite effective. Well done, Jeffelele. Looking forward to hearing more of your music!

Jan

No Two Sides lyrics:

Once I was a little fella walking down to the trolley gonna take it cross town
Overhead wires spark as we go like a moving fireworks show

Then they closed the trolleys to get the subway laid
Money and a deal, how history is made
Subway screamed so loud as it went on down the tracks
My ears are still ringing, that’s just a fact

My daughter was little on a San Diego day
I called up the Navy and plans were made
we would take a tour of an aircraft carrier of the USA

Mistake had been made, tours canceled for the day
They didn’t want to disappoint, send us away
Don’t worry, said a sailor, you who didn’t get the word
We’ll give you a tour without a big herd
It’ll be even better, you can sit in the chairs
Of the top guys who run the ship

We got lost in an airplane hanger bay
Looked out through a port to where the anchor chain lay
Down down to the ocean so far away
We hurried to catch up before they saw we’d going astray
Only worry I had, enough coins in the parking meter

You couldn’t get a tour like that today
9/11 took that ease away
Took so many people and things not recovered to this day
It’s easy to take things from children
Very hard to put them back
No two sides to that

Last edited:
Hi, Jeffelele - I, too, write original songs on my ukulele; it’s so awesome to meet others who enjoy composing original music! I’m excited to take a listen to your Soundcloud link! Not sure if you have done this already, but you could also post, share your Soundcloud link under the ‘Links & Videos’ section of the forum; this is the part of the forum where I usually share links to my original songs, covers, videos. Happy strums!!! :)

Well done on the singing, writing, and playing. :cool: Thanks for sharing! Times definitely did change.

That song is BOSS!

Thanks for your supportive comments. They really help keep me pushing forward.

Top Bottom