Which Eleuke?!

kissing

Reaction score
So my interest has turned to Electric ukes.
I have been getting complaints from neighbours (I live in a dorm), and it seems pretty cool to have an electronic instrument to fiddle around with through an amp!

I've come down to two selelctions.
Either the Kala one with active electronics:
Kala Electric

Or this very interesting looking one from Risa:
Risa electric

The Kala one has active electronics. The Risa one is passive.

But from the video sample of the Risa Soprano at their site, it sounds pretty darn smooth and good. The reason I lean towards the Risa is because of its very compact design and convinced by video.

But then again... is the "Active" pickup better on an electric uke?
I'm a bit confused...
And the Kala has those tone/volume controls + can have headphones plugged into them.
So I'm a bit stuck.

What do you think?

Last edited:
The Kala looks like it would be more comfortable to play sitting down. I'm not sure I'd like the cord sticking out on the Risa where it does, but that's just me. And I'm partial to the look of f-holes.

So I'm leaning Kala.

I personally have a hard time with the stick looking electrics... So I say the Kala myself.

Ok.. I've decided to go with the Risa uke stick...

Its compactness, durability and simplicity really appeals to me. And I've heard enough sound samples to be convinced that its an excellent electric instrument.
The Kala is also lovely, and you guys made some very good points.. but I'm out for something different and small :D

I loved this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woyW9XIZoHM

Last edited:
Hehe, I finally got the money I needed and ordered the Risa Uke stick :D

I also ordered a Fender Mini Tone Master amp for it.
Can't play electric without an amp right? LOL

Im excited and looking forward to it!

Hehe, I finally got the money I needed and ordered the Risa Uke stick :D

I also ordered a Fender Mini Tone Master amp for it.
Can't play electric without an amp right? LOL

Im excited and looking forward to it!

Great decision! Risa Stick is a very good electric uke. Perfect action, very easy to play and carry. It has a very balanced, clean and punchy plugged-in sound (thanks to the shadow pickup). It has a passive pickup, but the output level is close to an active pickup on a normal uke. Try plug it into a PA, you'll be amazed. Small the mighty~.

I have the Risa Soprano Solid. (Don't know why they just don't call it The Stick.) It's well built and incredibly engineered. The sound from the pickup is killer. I keep a Roland Mobile Cube on my desk and use that for banging around. For the limitations of the sounds available from the amp, I get a surprising amount of nice sounds from the combo. I doubt you'll be disappointed with it.

The only thing I'm not fond of are the friction tuners. But they're Grovers as I recall. Rigk explained that when he designed it there was no place to put geared tuners. You'll see how true that is when you get it. On the upside of that, the thing stays in tune for a very long time.

Because they are so thin and small, they're easiest to play when anchored by the strap. And the case strap doubles as the uke strap.

I just got a used Risa Soprano Stick. I love it! I can't believe how much time I spend playing it.

My Bugsgear Eleuke is easier for me to play, but the Risa is so small, I always having it sitting next to me. It's so durable I don't have to be super careful with it and I take it with me everywhere.

Top Bottom