Hertz?

Balsa Dust

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So I have a Korg CA-30 tuner and through some searches I have found I should have my tuner set to 440 hz. My question is what determines the hertz to tune an instrument? Thanks :)

Last edited:
You're fine. 440 Hz is standard concert "A" pitch. All others will be referenced to this.

440 Hz is the traditional frequency for A. I still tune to that. However, most modern orchestras tune at least to 442 Hz and others even higher. I often find that I'm not in tune if I try to play along to recorded music on a CD.

If you're playing solo, it doesn't matter what you tune to. If you're in a band, your band leader decide what A should tune to.

A friend in the orchestra told me that they tune to 442 Hz because the low G would sound flat otherwise. That's not an issue with ukuleles for two reasons, one very technical and the other trivial. A 442 Hz A is supposed to sound brighter than a 440 Hz A, but I can't tell the difference.

440 Hz is the traditional frequency for A. I still tune to that. However, most modern orchestras tune at least to 442 Hz and others even higher. I often find that I'm not in tune if I try to play along to recorded music on a CD.

If you're playing solo, it doesn't matter what you tune to. If you're in a band, your band leader decide what A should tune to.

A friend in the orchestra told me that they tune to 442 Hz because the low G would sound flat otherwise. That's not an issue with ukuleles for two reasons, one very technical and the other trivial. A 442 Hz A is supposed to sound brighter than a 440 Hz A, but I can't tell the difference.

And the further you go back in history, the lower the pitch is... One of my band mates says he prefers a historical pitch of 416 hz because that helps against headaches... I can imagine that^^

Top Bottom