Just finished: Milo Spruce Tenor, Koa accents, LR Baggs, simple inlay

Kekani

Reaction score
Since I won't be finishing another one for a while, I thought I'd post this one, going to my friend on the mainland.
IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

Another beauty Aaron. It is interesting how many of us our building with the slotted HS these days. I just like the looks of them and of course the ease of tuning with geared tuners.

Brah, quit showing those beauties, makin me drool . . . one day, I goin get one. Honestly . . . your builds are just indescribable.

Another beauty Aaron. It is interesting how many of us our building with the slotted HS these days. I just like the looks of them and of course the ease of tuning with geared tuners.

Honestly, this is my first slotted HS. I'm not particularly a fan of it because its such a PITA, but then again, I did create the "Kenny B" HS which is an even bigger PITA.

I'm glad the geometry came out, as the strings don't touch anything.

Unfortunately, Paul Okami wants a slotted HS on his, so I committed to him that I'd jig up for it, but he has to order the Gilbert Tuners. So now, not only do I need a new HS jig, I need a new scarf jig (for the different angle), drilling jig (for the tuning machines), router bits, etc. The things I do for my friends. . .

Chuck, you're right about the sound. I don't do Milo for just anyone, which is why I call it my BRW. I offered to build another one for Le if he doesn't like this one.

-Aaron

It took me an hour to make a slotted head jig set. It consists of two pieces; the 'slot' template that is used with a router and guide bit to cut the hole and a 'plug' template that is used shape the cheeks. These are the easiest of headstocks to makeif you have a router with a bottom guide. I'll do a video next week for you all. Honestly, youll kick yourself whne you see it :shaka:

That's lovely. Often slotted headstocks look kinda bulky (headstock small and tuners blocky) but that just looks very, very nice. And I like the inlay and design. Very nice indeed :)

That is an absolutely exquisite example! Has anyone ever said your creations are to beautiful to play? Man is my UAS kicking into overdrive!:eek:

Wow, what a beauty. What inspired the triangles on the perimeter of the top?

Structure. I figured I'd do a Martin style fretboard marker (that I just did for Casey), and with the angles, which I don't really like square, bad feng shui, I opted to add in some triangles for balance, with an offshoot in the headstock area.

I know, sounds weird, but structurally, the triangle shape is solid, plus, it gave me an opportunity to do more miter joints on the BWB purfling. Yeah, that's it miter joints.

Honestly, the SB was looking plain, and I just wanted to add in something simple and organic.

Pete, looking forward to that vid.

Anytime you see something like those triangles on my ukes it's because I blew out the binding channel while routing it! Been there.

Been there too. Oddly enough, that didn't happen this time. Its one of those if you're a builder, you're going to know/question. I usually add more purfling (once). Since I've switched to a 3/4" bit, haven't had that problem.

Really, I was having fun with the other uke on the bench at the time, "Kamalani", especially with the miters. I thought I'd have some fun with this one. Thanks to Richard Hoover from SCGC for coming up with the polished chisels technique to get the correct angles.

Thanks to Richard Hoover from SCGC for coming up with the polished chisels technique to get the correct angles.
You're talking about the "mirror effect", yes? Or something else?
BTW, I always brush a couple of coats of lacquer on the corners before I rout. Seems to give a bit of extra strength to the wood.

Last edited:
Since I won't be finishing another one for a while, I thought I'd post this one, going to my friend on the mainland.

Thanks, Aaron! Can't wait to get it! Do you need me to PM my address?

(it was worth a try...)

Top Bottom