Gender of you and your uke Poll

Your Gender and Your Uke's Gender

• I'm a Boy, and my uke is a Girl.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • I'm a Boy, and my uke is a Boy as well.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • I'm a Girl, and my uke is a Girl as well.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I'm a Girl, and my uke is a Boy

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I am a Girl/Boy, and some of my ukuleles are boys, and some a girls

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I'm a Girl/Boy, and my ukulele's have no Gender

Votes: 18 32.1%

• Total voters

specialmike

Reaction score
So I know that there has been a thread pertaining to the names of our ukuleles. This is sort of related though.
I think I've noticed a pattern. So I'm conducting a poll to verify my observation.

I've noticed that guys will always name the instruments under a girls name... but I don't know if girls do that or not. So the results of this poll will be interesting. And after you've voted, please answer the following questions :

"Would you ever consider naming a future ukulele using the other gender?"
"What makes your ukulele a girl or a boy?"

YAY for Psychology! :D

Thanks in advance!

Can't really tell what gender my ukes are. I even looked inside the soundhole for clues. :eek:

I'm a girl.

All three of my ukuleles are girls. The first one (the Hawaiian Ukulele Company soprano Leilani) was a girl because she was just so cute and little. The second one (the Kanile'a tenor Waimea) was a girl because she had a lot of details (the tortoise binding, the abalone fret dots, the rosette) that made her seem very feminine to me - she wasn't plain, it was like wearing makeup. The new one (the Kamaka tenor Pele) is a girl because the curly koa reminds me of lava and plus, I wanted a very traditional Hawaiian name for my most traditional ukulele - hence Pele the fire goddess.

Would I consider naming a future one a boy's name? Sure...if I had a KoAloha I would give it a boy's name, they look masculine to me, with the headstock and the sharp edged bridge. I'd probably also name a Flea or a Fluke a boy's name too...

I don't see a "I'm a boy and I really haven't thought about what gender my 'ukulele is" option...

It's kind of like the name thing. "I don't know what it's called - I just play it!"

I don't see a "I'm a boy and I really haven't thought about what gender my 'ukulele is" option...

It's kind of like the name thing. "I don't know what it's called - I just play it!"

Name is usually associated with gender. if it doesn't have a name, it can't really have a gender. The same applies in reverse. If it doesn't have a gender, it would be hard to determine the appropriate name.

But I agree exactly with what you said," just play it."

All my ukes/guitars are girls with the exception of my cigar box uke, which is a boy. The rest are girls because the shape so obviously resembles the female body and because they sound so sweet! The cigar box uke is also a boy because of the shape.

Aloha,

My Honu traditional tenor is a girl and she is nameless at the moment. But I already made a list of names, most of them are japanese, but I think I prefer a hawaiian name.
Any suggestions?

Mahalo :shaka:

Lou

Well...(blush) I recon my ukes are all girls, because I don't wanna think I could make a boy sing like that when I hold it! :eek:
:music:

I'm a girl. My guitar is a girl, Lilo, and my first uke is a boy, Sonny.

This is interesting! I've never really thought about it, but I think I have a whole co-ed thing going on! :D

My first uke (Mitchell Concert) is a boy...I mean, it WAS my first, it's only appropriate ;)
My second uke (Lanikai Tenor) I THINK is a girl?
My third uke (Lisa Soprano) is an old woman, lol
My 4th uke (Oscar Schmidt Soprano) is kind of asexual...lol, we don't talk about it
and my final uke (MAINLAND TENOR, BABY!) I'm still getting to know ;)

GOOD POLL! :D

You believe them when they tell you 1/4" diameter is sufficient? That's sweet.

MWAHAAAAA! nicely done.

I think of all my ukes as girls because they sound so sweet and pretty. A boy couldn't sound that nice. Boys are ucky :D

I would name a uke a boys name if a boys name seemed appropriate. I do have a female cat named George after all. ;)

Here's the thing, you don't get to decide what the uke's gender is, eventually it will tell you if it likes you. In my experience however most tenors and baritones are guy ukes and most soprano's are girls. I've never had a concert long enough to know for sure, and I do have one tenor that is female.

All boats, guns, and 'ukuleles are female. :D
I'm not a "boy", I'm a cranky old geezer, just ask my wife.

Last edited:
Both of my ukes are beautiful ladies. They got the curves of supermodels, voices of angels, and their wood bodies are smoother than a babies bottom. ;)

Top Bottom