PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Visit UU?

seeso
06-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I've noticed that some people post only in certain sections, some people reply only to certain topics, and many people don't post at all.

So here's this informal poll. Why do you visit UU?

ShortCut
06-13-2009, 11:05 AM
I visit UU because it's a great community, full of information, friendly people.

Toucan Mango
06-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I learn a lot just by hanging out & reading what other people have to say. I like the video tutorials & live lessons, contests and other things going on around here as well. I'm just not a big talker though in general so my post count in pretty low.

UkeNukem
06-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I visit UU because it's a great community, full of information, friendly people.

DITTO fer sure!

russ_buss
06-13-2009, 11:19 AM
for the, um, articles.:uhoh:

inkandsilver
06-13-2009, 11:22 AM
friendly conversations. lots to learn. lots of food for thought.

Pippin
06-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Connecting with people in the world of ukulele is easier on the forums, but also, there are up and coming talented players, singers, and writers posting on the boards. I enjoy playing and meeting others, but now that I have begun publishing Ukulele Player, the forums are even more important. They have become a great way to get in touch with new performers that will BE artists in the future. There are lots of talented break-out artists on the boards.

specialmike
06-13-2009, 11:25 AM
To Learn, to Meet, and to kill time.

I'm sure a lot of people are in the same situation that I'm in, where you're pretty much one of the few people who play ukulele. So it's easier to converse via a website like UU and talk about stuff we like. I can't go around the mall asking people "hey, do you play the ukulele?"

wickedwahine11
06-13-2009, 11:36 AM

I'm sure a lot of people are in the same situation that I'm in, where you're pretty much one of the few people who play ukulele. So it's easier to converse via a website like UU and talk about stuff we like. I can't go around the mall asking people "hey, do you play the ukulele?"

I second that. I do it to learn (through lessons, Uke Minutes, Uke Got Mail, and forum postings) but also because it is a community of like minded people. None of my friends or family play the ukulele, and they all look at me the way you do someone you pity when I try to talk about it with them.

haole
06-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Came for the lessons, stayed for the people. I've never felt so welcome on a site full of musicians before! Learned a lot from Aldrine's vids, and whenever I have any questions in my mind, a quick search usually reveals that someone's already asked that and it's been answered! Seems that every week I buy a new album based on UUer recommendations too. This place turns me onto so many new artists, and it's a great way to find out about any upcoming shows or events involving ukulele. The few UUers I've met in person (briefly) is all good peoples. :shaka: Don't know any other ukers, so this is the place to talk ukes without looking like (that much of) a nutcase.

jellybean
06-13-2009, 12:02 PM
to connect and to learn....it can be a lonely world out there...starting and ending my day (and lunch hour, and snack break, and, and, and...) with UU is a comfort to me.

lolsara
06-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I first came for the Song Tabs/Help, stayed for the discussions/community. No one I know plays the uke or really wants to talk about it so it's great having a place like UU. :D

snowcooley
06-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't post a whole lot (I guess... comparatively?)... I use UU mostly as a resource for video lessons, picking up some ukulele knowledge from people who actually have some, lengthy tangents about ridiculously specific topics, exposure to techniques, links, new musicians, etc. I often don't feel qualified to post about anything technical or even to respond to peoples lovely pictures of their new ukes... I feel like "this is pretty" or "I found this helpful" might just as well be "LOL!!!!!!!! :)" so I try to refrain from that, and end up feeling like a lurker fairly often (which is okay... all the better to pick everyone's brains without them knowing!)

I have really started to enjoy peoples' videos and contests, and totally un-uke-related tangents. Plus, everyone's supportive and mostly rad, so there's the community aspect (although I still consider that secondary).

bbycrts
06-13-2009, 12:21 PM
To learn, get inspired to keep playing, to get hints and tips, to lose weight...

...but also because this is the friendliest, funniest forum I've ever seen on the internet - of any sort or topic, PERIOD.

Uncle-Taco
06-13-2009, 12:26 PM
All of the above, plus I get hipped to some really good music I would never have known about otherwise.

ukulele2544
06-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Caus it's the only great ukulele site that I know..

mailman
06-13-2009, 12:30 PM
For the community, of course, and also to get my newb questions answered.

I'm totally addicted to the forum. I'm not sure that's entirely a good thing (okay, mostly). I spend so much time here it cuts into my uke playing time. I also virtually never visit the UU home page. I'm sure I could learn alot from the lessons, etc (never checked 'em out)....but I'm hooked on the forums!

shanifawni
06-13-2009, 12:36 PM
hmm that's a good question b/c mostly come here to entertain myself. i was actually never all that interested in lessons before, but the people i commented back and forth with on youtube were all on here so i slowly started checking things out...

i casually learn things on here, or i look at funny conversations going on, etc. there's a lot on this site so its very useful, in case i actually become un-lazy enough to improve my knowledge, hehe.

ukusaurus
06-13-2009, 12:39 PM
I visit here because I love the ukulele. And I love reading, so I naturally I love coming here to read about the ukulele! :music:

Bratset
06-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Me too!!
At first I wasn't here to much and if I was here it was to look at tabs, but now I look at/post in and reply in most sections!

No Talent
06-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm here for the lessons. I have NO musical background so I need something very basic. I learn a lot by reading comments, but typically don't have anything authoritative to add. This site is the best teaching material I have found free or paid.

ShortCut
06-13-2009, 01:17 PM
I forgot to mention I also come for Deach ;)

Bratset
06-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Who doesn't :shaka:

GrumpyCoyote
06-13-2009, 01:18 PM
One word:
"Bromance"
:uhoh:

Actually I came originally for technical help, but stayed because I like you folks. So community I suppose.

lisaxy424
06-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Came for the lessons, stayed for the people. I've never felt so welcome on a site full of musicians before! Learned a lot from Aldrine's vids, and whenever I have any questions in my mind, a quick search usually reveals that someone's already asked that and it's been answered! Seems that every week I buy a new album based on UUer recommendations too. This place turns me onto so many new artists, and it's a great way to find out about any upcoming shows or events involving ukulele. The few UUers I've met in person (briefly) is all good peoples. :shaka: Don't know any other ukers, so this is the place to talk ukes without looking like (that much of) a nutcase.

I'm glad you already typed this whole big thing, because me trying to write it that eloquently wouldn't have worked :)

DITTO! :D

Ukulele JJ
06-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I come here because I don't really have a large group of people who "get" the ukulele in my real life. I fell like a Jamaican bobsledder sometimes.

But I can come here and read about the uke, write about the uke, and just generally uke out to my heart's content. :D

JJ

strum4ever
06-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Back in the 1990's there was hardly anything on the internet regarding the ukulele. UU is the best resource I've found for players of any skill level, and it's great to see so many people discovering an often overlooked instrument.

Choboy
06-13-2009, 02:24 PM

that's pretty much me too. it's fun, i learn a lot, and it makes me keep practicing the uke!

though i still have difficulty with the "search" so i have to create threads about topics that are already discussed.

built
06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
come by accident...
stayed for info...

no uke yet!

Witters
06-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Information on many things, seeing what other people play (music) and what Uke's they play, knowledge (lately I gained some with the discussion on microphones and taping sound), asking questions, and generally reading other peoples threads and posts.

There is also a vast amount of stuff on here that any newbie can look up via the search engine.
I have looked up loads of things and its interesting seeing other peoples opinions as well as learning.

And of course other than this forum, there is loads of stuff to find via the main page.

cpatch
06-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm here for the food.

Craig
06-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I dig the energy of all you kids!...;) It's nice being around others, albeit virtually, that are as obsessed with ukuleles and uke music as me.

Thumper
06-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm mostly here to hang out with all the supermodels in the UU champagne room.

shanifawni
06-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm mostly here to hang out with all the supermodels in the UU champagne room.

WHAT? who decided to hide the party room??? hahaha

CoffeeMate
06-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I came for the info and lessons, I stay for the info, lessons, inspiration and community. Y'all are just so darn supportive and helpful. The folks here on the UU understand the obsession. No one around me other than my husband and Kyle (who should be ordering his first uke soon!!)really gets the appeal. Most people just think I should play "a real instrument". I have convinced my Mom the ukulele is super cool. I played her Aldrine and Jake. She's asked me to get her Suite 409 and Gently Weeps CDs. :D

I'm trying to be a more well rounded poster but I don't know much about the ukulele to be very helpful, so I lurk in most of the uke threads and post in mainly "scifi geeky" threads. I do know much about that stuff. :)

deach
06-13-2009, 03:42 PM
....because of all the polls.

generem
06-13-2009, 03:44 PM

X2 fo sho....

hoosierhiver
06-13-2009, 04:11 PM

and czechs..

kailua
06-13-2009, 04:17 PM
cpatch said: I'm here for the food. I'm here for the drinks (metaphorically speaking). :D Sometimes I drink too much! :eek:

uke4all
06-13-2009, 04:30 PM
mostly aldrines lessons,song help,techniques and tips....

jdmcnasty
06-13-2009, 04:42 PM
This is my only way of interacting with human ukulele players.

UKISOCIETY
06-13-2009, 05:13 PM

Who doesn't :shaka:

Bah. I've been faking it with Deach for years...

freedive135
06-13-2009, 05:46 PM
I followed Aldrine here, I was enjoyin his IAH lessons.
So I came, I saw and I stayed....

Then Seeso came into my life and he answered all my head scratchin questions, along with several others of you helpin me out.

And then there is Deach.....

I like the feeling of belonging to a group that no matter how basic your ????'s someone will take the time to help you out!!!!!!

Ahnko Honu
06-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Who's Aldrine, deach, and Seeso?

Fred Miu
06-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Who's Aldrine, deach, and Seeso?

lol.

i saw aldrine post a video up. i stayed tuned with his videos and saw that he posted that specific video up and wanted to learn more.

now i post up to make sure Deach is in line.:D

and i heard we geta free hula girl when we registered, but i never got mine yet dang it! :mad:

TheWannabe90
06-13-2009, 08:41 PM
This is my only way of interacting with human ukulele players.

Ditto

or was it humans in general...? :rolleyes:

Ahnko Honu
06-13-2009, 09:18 PM
lol.

I heard we get a free hula girl when we registered, but i never got mine yet dang it! :mad:

Here ya go Fred one for each year you've been here!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/GIFs/hullamod.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/GIFs/hullamod.gif :shaka:

Myala509
06-13-2009, 09:36 PM
I do not post much and only hang out in certain sections because I have not built up my knowledge or experience to get out of the Uke Talk or Uke begginers. The reason I do not post is because many of the problems or questions i want to ask are being asked by someone else or have been asked by someone else.

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-14-2009, 12:51 AM
i have to ask you seeso, what category do u put me in?? an all round poster?? or just certain sections??

i vist uu to talk to people i "know" on the internet, evreytime a new song comes up, ill pick up the uke and give it a go .... watch vids.

i duno, depends how determined i am to get better at the ukulele in that specific time

ThePunkWay
06-14-2009, 01:09 AM
came for the tabs to the badfish solo.... found seeso's Santeria cover, followed the links here, and just had to join. this site has been without a doubt the greatest resource for teaching myself the ukulele, and it's a wealth of support for my less than great videos as well... wow, i never realized how glad i am to have discovered this site... and how thankful i am that it exists...

THANKS TO THE CREATORS, AND TO THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THIS SITE AS AMAZING AS IT IS!

:shaka::shaka:

:music:

Go Pack!
06-14-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm a member of a few recording forums along with this one and quite frankly this is about all the social life I have.:o The present state of my life isn't conducive to meeting other musicians and the miracle of the internet provides me with most of the things I'm lacking.

Sayyadina
06-14-2009, 01:50 AM
came for the tabs to the badfish solo.... found seeso's Santeria cover, followed the links here, and just had to join. this site has been without a doubt the greatest resource for teaching myself the ukulele, and it's a wealth of support for my less than great videos as well... wow, i never realized how glad i am to have discovered this site... and how thankful i am that it exists...

THANKS TO THE CREATORS, AND TO THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THIS SITE AS AMAZING AS IT IS!

:shaka::shaka:

:music:

That about sums it up perfectly :)!

Flamby1er
06-14-2009, 01:57 AM
UU is a very great ressource to learn the ukulele with the videos and all the stuff. Actually, it's also a nice way to learn English within the uke community. Thx a lot!

SailQwest
06-14-2009, 06:23 AM
Like a lot of others, I came for the info, and stayed for the community. Y'all are a great bunch!

Lori
06-14-2009, 06:47 AM
After I had decided I wanted to buy a ukulele... I needed to do research to see which one to get. I didn't know anything, and did a google search and found UU and ichadwick's reviews. Wow, it was great to get all that info from enthusiasts! I enjoy the uke a lot, and I love to hear others talk about the subject. There is only so much uke talk you can inflict on your spouse, and though he is supportive, he shouldn't have to bear the brunt force of my uke- madness.

This is a great, friendly, informative and supportive group! Thanks for being there!

–Lori

Jim X-S
06-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Initially came just after getting my Ukulele. Was impressed with the amount of information. Then realized it was a great site for procrastination. Finally it dawned on me that maybe I could actually learn something. Hopefully I'll make some friends.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

HaileISela
06-14-2009, 07:20 AM
UU is a very great ressource to learn the ukulele with the videos and all the stuff. Actually, it's also a nice way to learn English within the uke community. Thx a lot!

I think all of my reasons have been anounced^^ And I really dig this place for practising my English too... First thing I learned was "deach"^^

UU4Life!

PattyD
06-14-2009, 07:21 AM
This looks like a good place for my first post.

Why do I visit? To absorb all I can of you crazy ukukleleans (or is it ukuleleists or just ukers?) so maybe I can be one of you, too! :bowdown:

The Aloha spirit here has been evident since my first lurk. I have enjoyed the camaraderie and appreciated all the assistance you give each other. The sharing amongst the members is a beautiful thing to see! Even if I were not an aspiring player (with a bunged up $30 piece of crap that stays out of tune but it's better than nothing!) I think I would still enjoy reading here. It gives warm fuzzies!

Okay, I'll go back to lurking and learning. Thank you for putting this party on every day. :worship:

seeso
06-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Why do I visit? To absorb all I can of you crazy ukukleleans (or is it ukuleleists or just ukers?) so maybe I can be one of you, too! :bowdown:

You're already one of us!

khrome
06-14-2009, 10:15 AM
I come here to stalk seeso. :eek:

jk Like a lot of people, I discovered UU because of the lessons. I started off posting on the forum because I had uke related questions but mostly post now on threads about my other interests. Like geeky stuff. lol I love the atmosphere and friendly people here I'm on different forums so I don't have time to read every post here, as much as I'd like to.

seeso
06-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I come here to stalk seeso. :eek:

jk Like a lot of people, I discovered UU because of the lessons. I started off posting on the forum because I had uke related questions but mostly post now on threads about my other interests. Like geeky stuff. lol I love the atmosphere and friendly people here I'm on different forums so I don't have time to read every post here, as much as I'd like to.

heheheh... <3 stalkers.

thejumpingflea
06-14-2009, 11:03 AM
I want a stalker.... ;)

I came here to see if I could find some more "down to earth" ukers.

I've been on EZFolk and the Cosmos for a while and while they are great sites, they weren't my cup of tea.

UU on the other hand IS my cup of tea!

sukie
06-14-2009, 11:05 AM
It's too fun not to be here. I, like most people, came to learn and stayed because it's so much fun.

mailman
06-14-2009, 01:31 PM

The Aloha spirit here has been evident since my first lurk. I have enjoyed the camaraderie and appreciated all the assistance you give each other. The sharing amongst the members is a beautiful thing to see! Even if I were not an aspiring player (with a bunged up $30 piece of crap that stays out of tune but it's better than nothing!) I think I would still enjoy reading here. It gives warm fuzzies!

Okay, I'll go back to lurking and learning. Thank you for putting this party on every day. :worship:

Welcome, Patty!!

RON<>VA
06-14-2009, 02:00 PM
To learn the proper way to pronounce "ukulele"

UkuleleHill
06-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I visit for the content, community, lessons, fun, too many reasons to list!

Moondoggie
06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I visit here because of the tingly feelings it gives me "down there."

And because of this guy, who I call "L'il Deach" :

:nana:

"Now show us on the ukulele where the bad forum touched you..."

khrome
06-15-2009, 01:52 AM
I want a stalker.... ;)

MAAAAAYbe you already have one! :eek:

nukealaily
06-15-2009, 02:02 AM
i'm hoping to learn something new - which i have
meet new people in my area to jam with- western australia - haven't done so yet - its a big place with only a few people .

casetone2514
06-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Playing the ukulele and living where I do it is the only way to meet and talk with like minded individuals. Kind of like visiting a transvestite bar.....

.....er, no...well....you know what I mean...not that I... you understand....

I'll go now!

ichadwick
06-15-2009, 02:30 AM
Why do you visit UU?
Because I'm not allowed to surf porn sites at work....?!?

Okay, seriously. For news, information, product updates, song tabs, to offer help and suggestions, for links to sites and videos, to get entangled in arguments over language and pronunciation, to see what's for sale... in other words: to participate in the community.

ichadwick
06-15-2009, 02:31 AM
To learn the proper way to pronounce "ukulele"

Aww, don't get that old horse back on the track....

ukeshale
06-15-2009, 02:34 AM
As far as posting goes - One of the main reasons I use it is to converse with some of the people i've met on youtube. I read a lot of the other sections but don't like to post where I don't feel I can contribute. There's so many people here with great musical knowledge, it's almost an unlimited well of info.

It's easily the best forum i've been part of - although not completely free of small arguments, it definitely has a lot less than your average forum. The mod's do a great job here.

cMejilla
06-15-2009, 03:22 AM
Probably because I just like lingering around and reading the questions other people have. I post when I can but I don't respond when I know I don't know what I'm talking about :)

AnnaUK
06-15-2009, 10:32 AM
To learn. Because I want to improve too. And for the excellent community. Never have I felt so welcome or so encouraged. The things people say are so nice.

I love this site and all the people on it :D

RON<>VA
06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Aww, don't get that old horse back on the track....

Sorry, the devil made me do it.

Spooner
06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I've been lurking here for a few years now.
I came to join because I found myself chewing the ear off of a luthier and started feeling guilty eating up his time.

While I have my own sites in another corner of the net...no one on them plays ukulele.

Ever since I picked up a uke in Hawaii it became more and more apparent that this was not just "one of those things."
The uke bug bit me real hard and I've stopped playing all of the other instruments that I play...only because I can't stop playing the uke and because I love it so.

Since I couldn't "talk shop" with anyone on my sites about the ukulele and since I didn't want to keep taking up time of the luthier I had been talking with...I decided to jump in the waters here.

So I come here to talk ukes with other uke players. Everything else I could have done/did as a lurker.

Tsani
06-16-2009, 04:57 AM
I come to learn. There is so much information here. It is also encouraging to see so many others who are learning or sharing their knowledge with others.

I also come to gawk at ukuleles.

smgold101
06-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Came for the lessons, stayed for the people.

Yeah that sums it up for me. I love the people here, I mean i only know yal through the computer but feel like we are all great friends. UU is really something quite special that i dont think exists in many other places.

dparrothead1
06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
I come to learn. There is so much information here. It is also encouraging to see so many others who are learning or sharing their knowledge with others.

I also come to gawk at ukuleles.

That's what I'm here for......to learn.....:shaka:

Playscool39
09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
My mom got a uke from my dad on mothersday. I fell in love with the uke and searched on Google and Youtube for more info. Found some vids of Jake and Aldrine. Followed the links and came also across UU. This forum is really the best! I just keep coming back because of all the things everyone mentioned. Thanks UU for everything:worship:

Ahnko Honu
09-02-2009, 02:16 PM
I rarely if ever come here except sometimes to look at the pictures. :cool:

schubs
09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
i come to learn more of the uke, get advice, and have fun.

UkeNinja
09-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Looking for guitar lessons, I picked the wrong site and had to trade it in for a silly little uke. On top of that, three-times-daily checking of the forums has not improved my playing, but I did learn new words, such as "crotcheting" and "da kine", the latter of which I prefer to pronounce as "doh kinah".

No but seriously, I have no idea why I am here.

ukulele-antihero86
09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I had some self-doubt, one of which, that I would never learn to play an instrument and write my own material. So, I came here for some tips.

That self-doubt is gone now, thanks to you all. Thanks.:)

experimentjon
09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I come to see general ukulele trends. So I usually only visit Uke Talk, and only browse the first page of the board. Sometimes I'll visit the Guitar Talk section, or Marketplace, or General Discussion too. But I just come and look, and chip in if I have any opinion longer than 3 words.

salukulady
09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I come here hoping to catch a certain someone in an apron......

mrplatypus70
09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I came because you guys (and gals) are WAY nicer then guitar players. I mean it; look at any pretty good but not spectacular guitar video and there are losers posting about how the player should just give up and die! The ukulele community is much more supportive. I get nice comments from people from UU on stuff that I think kind of sucks! So I come for information, to try to share what I have learned and most of all for encouragement. Thanks to you all!!!:D

cornfedgroove
09-02-2009, 04:53 PM
its a great resource...I came to meet and learn from the players and luthiers. I own alot of instruments, but there are no communities like UU.

I am realistically maybe intermediate on most of my instruments...the community keeps me motivated to play and enjoy music

nic579
09-02-2009, 05:11 PM
I wanted to learn to uke so I started here and built my first and now I fumble the strings around on the thing with what i am learning here. Too much too learn, some things make only sense after you trip over things you have never seen.:mad: And get help here + mostly nice respectful people. Although I was not certain of that after my first post in the Luthiers lounge, but I got past it all. P.S. that is my first Ukulele from Grellers free Martin replica plans.

JT_Ukes
09-02-2009, 05:22 PM
It's where I keep some of my Online friends...

the.ronin
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Visit?? I moved in. :D

austin1
09-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I run around here mostly because I am a musical idiot who has attempted to play like 8 instruments but has really only liked the ukulele :)

but I'm totally with mrplatypus, ukulele people are way cooler than guitar people, for the record

Craig
09-02-2009, 06:41 PM
In a single word or name: DEACH!!!

YoungBP
09-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I havent been active much but i vistit UU to keep up with everyone and learn new songs c[:

ed531
09-03-2009, 03:27 AM
I agree with everybody else... I visited and stayed for the community and it doesn't feel like I have to deal with nonsense here. I'm on a few other forums and they all seem to have hangups. Members who think they know more, they have more and they think they are better. Needless to say that I find myself visiting here more than any of the others.

I mainly visit the Guitar Discussion and Uke Talk because it's more of what I'm interested in.

BTW, I'd like to be your friend. :D:D:D

Lori
09-03-2009, 07:26 AM
I here because I am Uke Crazy, and it is nice to hang out with my own kind. I can't get enough of it.

–Lori

ukuleG
09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
I here because I am Uke Crazy, and it is nice to hang out with my own kind. I can't get enough of it.

–Lori

same reason as that ^ this is actually the only forum i go on i don't see the point in any others.

Matt Clara
09-03-2009, 07:37 AM
I've noticed that some people post only in certain sections, some people reply only to certain topics, and many people don't post at all.

So here's this informal poll. Why do you visit UU?

To learn.
To contribute to, and be part of, a social group.
To be entertained.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-03-2009, 07:59 AM
To connect with other ukulele players,
share some (hopefully) helpful info,
be a part of a tremendously friendly community,
be entertained, instructed, befriended, ...

... loved, man!

Thank you All!

cocohonk
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
It's the best place for anyone to ask for help and opinions, get some lessons, and to watch everyone's videos. I cannot say how much I appreciate having this forum to ask questions ranging from buying to fixing to picking/strumming/chunking help, and to be able to have such a huge library of videos and lessons to draw upon on.

In the last few months or so, I've improved a whole lot more on playing than in the last year, simply from being around here.

It's also a great place to come and drool over uke porn. Not everyone has friends who understand the joy and pain of UAS.

pigwig
09-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Lots of things to learn, lots of great people to learn it from.

I admit that I am awkward when it comes to conversing on forums though. :o

haolejohn
09-03-2009, 03:19 PM

...why not?

salukulady
09-03-2009, 03:44 PM
...why not?I just wear my UU shirt 24/7.

Susie A
09-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, originally it was an accident. I stumbled by and stayed awhile.

Then it was for information. I have learned so much from this site and all of the links provided.

Now I visit because it is just so darn much fun! :nana:

You all rock!

Susie A

mrUKETOBER
09-03-2009, 03:56 PM
i visit uu because its like my 2nd family and i love it here ! you guys have helped me slowly become a better musician .. i completely learned ukulele from uu and now i cant put it down so you guys are to blame for that ! lol

i love UU

!!!

aloha !

HoldinCoffee
09-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Why do you visit UU?

I visit here because there are some VERY wise people who are frequent posters here. In the (almost) year that I've been coming here, I've learned a great deal about ukulele, scales, chords, tunings etc...

Although, if if I knew of a way to delete my account, I'd never show up again.

Kmetzger
09-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Came originally to post and get answers to some questions. Stayed in order to learn more, because it's fun to be among people really into the ukulele and to hopefully contribute what I know.

Strummingbird Stu
09-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm very passionate about playing my uke. I have several instruments of different sizes and tones and enjoy playing them all. Sometimes I feel like I'm too obsessed with playing, and I go through different emotions -- but mostly it's very relaxing and makes me happy.

I visit UU daily, mostly the Forum section because it keeps me in touch with people who I have something in common with. I do not write in often, but I really enjoy reading everything people have to say about ukes. I do learn alot and pick up tips here and there about uke playing -- for that I am very grateful to you other members. Mainly, reading positive thoughts about the uke from like-minded people is very inspiring to me! Happy strumming!:)

Ser-T-Fide
09-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Being fresh to ukes, i enjoy learning from other peoples knowledge and experience. So a lot of reading is involved, but you don't always have the greatest input, at least in my own eyes. "newbie nervousness". enjoying the vids and all and i'm proud to say i took part in the beginner colab that ihavenotea put together. cant wait for the vid.

much love

MisoHappy
09-03-2009, 05:41 PM
I come here because this is closest you can come to having internet friends, and feeling like you know them. I always feel welcome, you're like my second family! I don't know exactly why, but I don't feel like I have to be so careful around you guys; I trust you, and that's hard to find on the internet. Not to mention that I've learned more here in two WEEKS than at Roy Sakuma's in two YEARS

We all have an irrevocable passion for music, but I feel that the connection has always been stronger that that.

KC8AFW
09-03-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree with all the comments posted so far...but the biggest thing for me the the level of encouragement that you get here. When I became a member 3 month ago, I would never have dreamed of posting a YouTube video. In fact, I would have told you there was no way I would ever do something like that. I play for personal enjoyment and am not interested in public exposure. But after hanging out here, I couldn't wait to post my first video. Not that I wanted to get public exposure, but that I wanted to share my progress with my UU friends and get opinions and advice from people I respect.

So :cheers: to my UU family, and mahaloz. :shaka:

Russ Sonny Kemner
09-03-2009, 07:37 PM
"Why does the sun come up? Or are the stars just pinholes in the curtain of night, who knows?" "We are the seeds of legend, but our true origins are unknown. We simply are here."

O.K. That is just a line from the greatest movie ever made (Highlander) and the second greatest sound track (Queen) - AC DC Maximum Overdrive can not be dethroned as the greatest sound track ever, period!!. Yet, so quickly I digress.

I visit this site for two reasons, 1) It feels right, 2) It's the coolest site on the web.

Skrik
09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Don't ask silly questions. K? Thx!

ihavenotea
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I have been using the internet since forever (well, not "forever", but well over 15 years). I have occasionally frequented other forums, but always lurked, never participated, and always lost interest quickly.

After I got my ukulele, I started searching through these forums for some information, and I found a wonderful place. I started posting, and I found some wonderful friends.

I never knew one could develop such marvelous friendships online.

I have been working from home for two years… and it has gotten quite lonely. Didn't miss having co-workers the first year, but this year has… basically sucked. UU and the UUers on YouTube have provided a bizaar but beloved social outlet.

We have fun, we laugh, we cry, we love.

We encourage one another, help one another, support one another.

We teach, we learn.

And we are all considered maladjusted by our non-uke playing friends and family!

What's not to love?

buddhuu
09-03-2009, 10:30 PM
[...]Why do you visit UU?

I like communities - 3D and online.

I love the village where I live in the real world. The centre of that community is the local pub, where I play most of my music and where my wife and I get together with our friends. UU is kind of like our pub: it has a similar "family" feeling.

I am, and have been, a member of quite a few boards on various subjects, but really only UU and a certain Irish music forum have felt like home. I now spend more time on UU than on any other site.

Oh, the other reason I come is that there's all the great uke stuff...

FiPfft
09-04-2009, 03:15 AM
Grumpy lured me in with Bring the Song, and I've stayed for pretty much the same reasons for which that idea appealed to me. I really enjoy witnessing the creative output when a bunch of fun, friendly, music-loving people get together and issue challenges to each other. Participating is great fun too, and I've found my involvement to be a good way to introduce other people to the incredible community and wealth of resources here, which I love doing (because everyone always ends up smitten with UU!).

Other than that, I find I browse a little through other sections a few times a week for some light reading (in those awkwardly short snatches of free time that both the uke and the Internet were surely custom-designed to fill). But I've neglected to make use of anything about actually playing ukulele (techniques, tabs, video lessons etc.), which is quite silly, but there you go; for me personally, visiting UU is never for tips'n'tricks, but is all about all the other stuff the members bring to the mix! Oh god, rhyming. :eek: I beg your pardon.

The friendships one forms here aren't half bad either. :D

keithy351
09-04-2009, 03:41 AM
i heard this site had great recipies for chocolate fudge brownies, so i came running, then to my disapointment it was just lame ukuleles, so i thought i will put the ukulele to use that i recently bought to use and hey presto, im still here

thomas
09-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I come here to learn.

OberstVonGatow
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Because Ukulele Hunt doesn't have a forum :)

franulele
09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I love UU because of the lessons, opportunities to interact, and most of all the friendly & supportive atmosphere.

Excellent site! Thanks to all who make it happen!

tbone
09-04-2009, 06:14 PM
OK, maybe the last contest has me a bit more focused on word count.

At one time in my life, before I had to go out and make a living, I would play guitar with some friends. Sitting around trading songs and techniques, we had some pretty good times.

Time passed, I drifted away from the guitar, but a few years back on a trip to Hawaii I discovered the ukulele. I found that playing the uke was addicting and the more I learned, the more I wanted to know. I found Aldrines lessons on the "other" website and followed him over here.

Out of all the uke sites I have found, this one is the most comfortable, non judgemental site, and when I am here it's like I am sitting around learning like I used to years ago.

I would post more if I felt I had something I could contribute. I'm not lurking, I'm listening.

itsme
09-04-2009, 07:33 PM
As I said before, I'm a classical guitarist who won a tenor uke in a drawing. It wasn't something I really sought out, although I've been intrigued ever since hearing Jake's "Weeps."

I had no idea the uke was as popular as it is, or that there is such a community built around it. I have found the uke to be a very charming and fun instrument, and the community here is what keeps me coming back to UU. :)