Flight Diana Concert Electro-Acoustic Ukulele - , Soundwave Pickup Experiences?

CYN

Reaction score
Just purchased a Flight Diana Concert Electro-Acoustic Ukulele - Princess Series with Soundwave Pickup . Really interesting pickup with cool sounds. Wondering others that have it what they think about the experience with the pick up.

I had the Flight Sophia concert with Soundwave pickup, exactly the same uke as the Diana except with a spruce top instead of cedar. I was really impressed by the sound and quality of the uke considering the price and the fact that it has laminate back and sides. Playability was excellent. Messing with the Soundwave effects was really fun at first but I found that I had to alter my playing style a bit to accompany some of the effects, particularly the delay. If I played more with other people this would've probably been my go-to uke but with the sorry state of uke groups in my city plus Covid... In the end, I sold the Sophia simply because it didn't get enough playing time, but that doesn't mean I think it's poor quality, far from it. I usually sell a uke on if I don't play it regardless of the quality (as an example, I just sold my KoAloha). For the price, I think the Sophia was excellent quality, as are all of the Princess and Royal series I've tried.

I bought a Diana Soundwave Tenor and was initially impressed with the stunning finish and the instrument's beautiful tone. Did all the right things by charging it fully before using the Soundwave but the feedback was awful. Even with the effects completely off and the volume at half the feedback was loud enough that I could hear it through the playing.

I eventually took it back but not before letting Flight know about the problem and I was actually pretty disappointed with the representative's response.

"Hi,

the feedback is a normal thing - please check the controls, volume should not be too high, effects level also, usually less than 50%. If the settings are too high, the back vibration increases. Also if you put your ukulele closer to the body, you can control the feedback and sound more precisely. Also if the ukulele is in vertical position, the feedback increases, due the the physics.

Its the nature of Soundwave system, so the feedback is not a defect.

thanks,"

When I initially contacted them I let them know that it was a substantial amount of feedback. I replied that he feedback was happening when the volume level was below 50%, the effects were off and that it was audible during playing..

My problem with that response is that if it was normal then it should have been mentioned in the promotional information, instructions or somewhere? This response also implies that you can expect this problem if you use it at anything above low volume or when the effects are running at more than 50%. Why make something that you can't properly use at least near full volume or effect (not that I was)? I got a refund from the vendor and no response from my second contact with Flight. Other than that it was stunning and I really liked this brand.

Hmm... that is a bit strange. I did notice the feedback as well but it was only when the volume knob was turned almost at max level. If I played normally with the volume less than 75% I didn't experience any issues. I wouldn't consider it a defect how I experienced the feedback but your experience definitely seems like one. Then again, I'm sure playing style also can affect feedback so it's difficult to say for sure.

Hi,

First, sorry for your troubles with the uke, we are looking into them, we saw your email and we are checking the technical details with the team.

Feedback is usually a "part" of trans acoustic pickup system, so its always present to some extent. Each piece of wood and instrument resonates and sound s bit different, so its best to use and set the control to fit each instrument. Usually with effects and musical instruments, setting them to 100% is not a good idea, as the sound can be washed out, too wet and cause feedback.This goes to effects pedals, processors, amps etc. Similar to putting your phone volume, tv volume or amp volume to 100% results in clipping etc. We suggest to adjust the controls to fit the sound of each instrument.

We will try go get feedback from the AUS distribution, if there is something wrong with the item.

Sorry again, that you you were not satisfied with the uke.

thanks !

Thanks. The feedback was there with no effects and the volume at 50%. If feedback is part of how it works then fine but that needs to be put into the available information and videos. For me hearing it while playing was not what I expected.

Top Bottom