MGM has Kala U bass

Here it is. Who is going to get the first one?

Is it YOU!!!!

I've seen the Youtube video, and this Uke THUMPS! Looks like MGM is taking orders, the picture is from NAMM. It's been on the Kala website for several months now, I guess they're "on the boat"and arriving soon.

I've seen the Youtube video, and this Uke THUMPS! Looks like MGM is taking orders, the picture is from NAMM. It's been on the Kala website for several months now, I guess they're "on the boat"and arriving soon.
I think MGM is actually selling the NAMM model.

I'd buy one... but while MGM offers free shipping to the US, we Canadians have to shell out another $50 or so to get one. That, with the taxes and duty and dollar difference - another $250-$300 on top of his price - it's just too much.​

Heard the original Road Toad one at NY Uke Fest and loved it. The Kala should be almost as good. ;) Price is a little out of my league at the moment because it's the NAMM model; once they're officially released, will they be less expensive?

Bass ukes are cool, but at $600, you're way better off with a MIM Fender P bass or J bass (they even look better in my opinion). Or if you're looking acoustic, there are a lot of acoustic basses for half the price, that will sound much better. And the thing is, that acoustically, acoustic basses are pretty weak, and very soft. I own an Ibanez acoustic bass, and it pretty soft acoustically, and when you plug it in, there's massive chance of feedback because of it's big body. But you still need a bigger body to push those lows, so if my full sized acoustic bass doesn't cut it, a baritone uke body just won't cut it either. Compare the body size to the upright bass in the background of the video. (Thus, this uke is designed to be played plugged in...because acoustically it's not going to be good at all) So if you're going to have to play amplified anyway, My pick would be any electric bass in the $600 price range.

Then again if you're looking for another cool uke, then there is really no substitute.

But for my money, I'd go for a Fender P Bass. Plus, strings will be easier to find.

Years ago, I used to have a short-necked electric bass made by Supra. I liked it because it was the same scale as my electric guitars.

I've been seriously tempted by the Ashbory, but it does require an amp. The Kala bass may allow some playing without an amp, although it would be very low in volume.​

They sound good but I think bass on a uke is stretching it a bit.

ichadwick wrote:
I've been seriously tempted by the Ashbory, but it does require an amp. The Kala bass may allow some playing without an amp, although it would be very low in volume.

Hi ichadwick. I owned an Ashbory bass on which is put some Road Toad strings and I just love it. Even if you need an amp to play with it, I think it's more versatile than an uke bass that you play unplug...

I,ve onwed an acoustic bass and frankly, it was very boring to play unplugged with it since you don't get the full potential sound of it... The sound is simply dull when unplugged....

For the price, I think an Asbory is the best bet. If not, you can try to build one yourself!!!

i have the road toad bass uke posted previously as well as a spector ns2a bass and to me the road toad sounds better and is much more fun to play. of course as soon as i try and clear some inventory out of my house the kala comes along. still the road toad has a stellar build quality and is unbelievably cool.
oh, and you can't play a fender or a spector unplugged either(although you actually can play the uke though not recommended)

Last edited:
Top Bottom