low g strings

deadeye

Reaction score
so i bought some aquila low g strings, comes with a wound string and its falling apart after only a couple of weeks!

any recommendations on a good set of low g strings, and where possible no wound?

sry for the string thread!

You can get Aquila low g strings that are not wound, you just have to look for them - I find ebay to be the best bet.

I know what you mean about the strings becoming unwound. On some of ny ukes this isn't a problem . On others it is. I wonder if it's something to do with the frets, or maybe I just play some ukes more than others.

Unfortunately, I've found the unwound low g's to sound dead to my ear. It's just not the same. Probably a preference more than reality.

Unfortunately, I've found the unwound low g's to sound dead to my ear. It's just not the same. Probably a preference more than reality.

Worth makes a couple sets unwound that have harder Low G's to deal with that very problem -- I think the suffix for that is LGEX, but best to check their site to be sure.

Have fun!

I just bought a set of KALA RED LOW G (wound G & C).
They sound very powerfull & soft. A nice surprise !!
Don't know yet how they gonna last...

worth flurocarbon
metaless low G
it sounds good
my friend has it on her koaloha tenor
the only drawback ive found is its a really low tension
but it dosnt really bother me

The Worth low-G tension is so loose it does cause a problem...it gets scooted off the neck with your finger when you play. I really wish somebody could make an UNwound low-G string that was tighter.

finally invested in a low G string Aquila brand... gonna try it on my concert G-string... can't wait..

found a bunch of arrangements in my book collection that has low G tunes, so we'll see how it goes!

Low G

On the Aquila's, you may have cut the wound string, which causes it to unravel. I really like Savarez guitar strings. They're more expensive than the others, but last longer and sound great.

I also like the Ko'olau golds.

Last edited:
Worth makes a couple sets unwound that have harder Low G's... I think the suffix for that is LGEX...

Besides the thicker LGEX, there is LGHD as well, which is the same gauge as a regular low-G string but High Density. I found this one to work nicely on my concert Fluke, and use it as a single in combination with the Aquila concert low-G set (same troubles with the wound string, plus it eats away the plastic fretboard). It may depend on what size your uke is?

Top Bottom