Getting Ready for the 4th of July in Boston

tuscadero

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any good songbook collections of patriotic songs, Grand ol' Flag, Yankee Doodle Dandy, etc. that anyone would recommend. I can probably just chordie what I'm looking for and put together a binder, but I was hoping to find something like the themed collections that Jim Beloff puts together. Actually, I was surprised to see he hadn't already covered this area, what up with that?

Also, and related, I am PROBABLY going to spend the 4th on the Esplanade in Boston, for the big Pops concert and the fireworks. I've never tried to get down to the Esplanade because it is so crowded and crazy, but this year the guest performer is supposed to be Neil Diamond, who I totally dig. So, my second question is, do you play any Neil songs? What Neil songs would you uke?

Give us a list of patriotic songs and Neil Diamond songs and we'll see if we can't track them down.

I don't have any to recommend offhand, but I'd suggest stopping by the local library. Ours (small-town library) has a ton of sheet music books, many of which are of the "piano music with guitar chords" variety. It's especially good to look there when you're looking for older music, standards, or any "music that internet kids don't like as much as Blink 182." On my last trip I found a great ragtime book, a nice folk book and a Mr. Rogers songbook. Excellente!

And if your local library's tied into BPL's lending system, the possibilities could be endless! :)

Oh, and as for the Neil Diamond songs, I would suggest "all of them." But then,, I'm a completist by nature :)

Last edited:
Give us a list of patriotic songs and Neil Diamond songs and we'll see if we can't track them down.

Or we could just kill two birds with one song. :D

JJ

I'm not American but I realy love "Ragged Old Flag" by Johnny cash, think it realy is beatiful and patriotic.
Anyone have any suggestion of something Uke playing that could fit as backing of that, some chords that fit etc?? cause in the recordings I have heard he has some music in the bacground.

Top Bottom