Is this any good?

jadedsurrealism

Reaction score
Hi,

I've never played a ukulele before, but I used to live in hawaii when I was a little girl and have always wanted to learn. So I bid on the cheapest uke on eBay and would like to know a little about what I'm getting into. It says its a Leolani from OMI International. Says he bought it about 4 years ago at a shop in Hawaii. Anything you could tell me about it would be greatly appreciated. Mind you, I'm a beginner, just looking to learn it and play a few songs at the backyard BBQ....

!BUWjKZg!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLltmFiBKNHf+49hQ~~_35.JPG

Thanks!
~Misti

If the ukulele plays, and serves your purpose, and was the right price, then you did good! :D

But I am curious to know if it come in a cardboard box with a clear plastic cover, and secured to the box with twisties? If it did, they sell similar ukes all over Waikiki for $10. Many of these ukes don't use real ukulele strings as they are all the same black nylon fishing line, it's a matter of stretching and tightening them until you get close to GCEA. Once you get there, the friction tuners start slipping, but don't over tighten, as the bridge might pop off. The action on these ukes are usually very high. I don't want to put your uke down, but they are more a novelty item.

Yeah, that looks more like a Waikiki gift shop uke than a playable instrument. Leolani makes some playable ones too, but if you're looking for the cheapest good instrument possible, I'd check out this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-SPARKLE-...QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

They come in lots of colors, too. The seller, musicguymic, gives them all a setup and intonation, and some good strings. They actually play and sound a lot better than you'd think!

I totally agree with you on the Makala ukes. I have a brick & mortar store and used to sell those painted novelty ukes, but too many people came back and complained that it didn't hold a tune. I stopped selling them, and now the entry level ukes I sell are the Makala's as they sound good and most of all work.
FYI, I sell these in my store for $35, good for people in my area, but MGM gets a volume rate on shipping.

Oh wow, you guys have been most helpful... My max bid on that is $15, but its only up to $1.04. I've been looking around, and that is the best price on makalas! I'll have to do some budgeting and get that one (in pink)! Thanks!

Update

I was outbid on the one that you guys said was a souvenier uke, so my fiance bought me the pink Makala from musicguymic! I'm so excited, and I'll let you guys know how it goes once it arrives!

Thank you SOO much for your advice, and I'm glad I was outbid on the cheapie one

~Misti

I was outbid on the one that you guys said was a souvenier uke...
You won that auction, then! Otherwise you would have had not a uke, but a tacky wall hanger...​

I am obsessively checking the "Track and Confirm" link! It was shipped.... thats all I know, daggum lazy post office not updatin' their whoozits and what not.

I am also obsessively reading everything I can about ukuleles... learning tab, theory, history.... I've become obsessed and I haven't even strummed one!

Just thought I'd share :love:

The bug bit me and I did like you. Surfed eBay and looked at everything. I stumbled up musicguymic and I'm glad I did. You'll be very happy dealing with him.

I am obsessively checking the "Track and Confirm" link! It was shipped.... thats all I know, daggum lazy post office not updatin' their whoozits and what not.

I am also obsessively reading everything I can about ukuleles... learning tab, theory, history.... I've become obsessed and I haven't even strummed one!

Just thought I'd share :love:

Ha ha. Been there...done that. So, have you picked out your next one yet? Believe me...you'll have 3 by the end of the year.;)

Ha ha. Been there...done that. So, have you picked out your next one yet? Believe me...you'll have 3 by the end of the year.;)

Unfortunately, I have to put a freeze on my spending for a while.... Haven't even LOOKED at other ones for fear of breaking my freeze. I need a daggum job!

Top Bottom