Aquila Low G Concert Strings

grownupboy

Reaction score
hey all,

pretty new to the board - been playing for a couple years and i'm waiting on a kanilea k2 concert from musicguymic... yay, new ukes!

has anyone tried the low g concert size strings from kanilea? i'm probably going to keep the concert re-entrant but i'm curious about the low g strings for concert ukes.

anyone use them? got any vids you can link to?

thanks for the help!

g

I had a set of low G Aquilas on my Flea for about three days. Never got into the sound of the wound G (it really sounded more like a mandolin than an ukulele), but the top three strings were fine. Ended up just throwing the Hilo high G back on, and living with that until they wore out.

Would've liked to experiment with them more, but the low G string came unwound very, very quickly. I know strings are supposed to wear at the points where they touch the frets, but within those three days the nylon inside the string was spilling out at the 12th fret, and the metal part of the string developed a nasty, sharp edge. I'm not sure if it was a dud string or not, but either way, I wasn't a fan of the sound of that one string.

I've been craving low G lately, so I have a single Fremont fluorocarbon coming from MGM this week.

Congrats on the Kanile'a purchase, though!

i found a video over on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9OAVwkBQEE

and it sounds pretty interesting... i hear you on the wear issues though! i've played guitar for years and that's a real issue.. guitar strings need to be swapped out every couple weeks, really - always loved that my uke strings seem to last forever :)

g

I have the wound Low G string on both my Tenor and 6 string Concert. I think it's just a question off preference, I love Low G.... For me, it makes the Ukulele sound richer and on my 6 string the rich Low G sounds really good with the the Double A strings which adds a nice bright sound at the same time.

I've had an Aquilla low g set on my Makala Concert for about 2 months. The wound g is really too loud compared to the rest but that could be my playing style. I just started the uke but have played guitar many years. For walking bass changes and drone-y tunes it sounds cool. I have not had the wound string wear out yet.

I just recently got a set of Worth BL's (low g) that will go on it eventually. That set has a plain g that's just thicker than the others.

I prefer to use low G tuning, mostly on Tenors. I do have a concert 6 string pineapple using low G, and I love the sound a lot better than using high G with a low A on 6 string applications. I do have Aquillas on a tenor uke, using high G to get a bright sound and a low G would hinder the sound I want.

It all depends on your sound preference and the type of music you play. If you still can't decide, just use 2 different ukes.:)

I strung my concert flea with Aquila Nylgut Low G...and im quite happy with it, although it did get some getting used to, as the low G feels different to the 3 other strings...however i quite like it, and my concert Flea is still strung that way :D

Top Bottom