Off to Oahu this weekend!!!

Honu

Reaction score
Hi all. As the subject line said I will be heading to Oahu for a nice two week vacation with my wife. This is my 4th time in Oahu so I sort-of know a lot of the touristy things to do. The one new thing I will be doing is taking a tour at Koaloha. Brian, the customer service person, said that he'll try to have a Long Neck Pineapple available for me to try out and possibly buy. I can't wait.

I was wondering for those who live in the neighborhood, is there anything going on, new or relatively unknown that would be interesting to do. Any festivals for example, or just any local event that one would not normally know about. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks for that John. I've actually been looking for reviews on that particular Uke but have not found one yet. I'm glad to hear that it is a quality Uke.

The Bishop Museum has a concert series called Moonlight Mele every year. Definitely worth checking out!

Hope you plan on heading to the north shore. Just because. :D

I usually spend a couple of days going to the different beaches on the North Shore... there's something about lying down in Waimea having just finished a bento box from the 7-11 that just makes the world seem right. I know there's better food in Haleiwa, but just the convenience makes it taste so much better than it should be:D!!

Enjoy the trip, while it's not Ukulele related, one of my favorite trips is to take H3 out of Honolulu, sorry for forgetting the names of the cities, but they have a Marine base on that side of the island. The most specatular thing for me was the drive on H3 to that part of the island. Not much to see in the middle of the island but then you go through a tunnel and WAM! Beautiful coast line, lush green cliffs, it's breath taking....

Enjoy the trip and Ukulele tour...

Take yourself on down to Duke's on Sunday and catch Henry Kapono!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shaka:

Hi all. As the subject line said I will be heading to Oahu for a nice two week vacation with my wife. This is my 4th time in Oahu so I sort-of know a lot of the touristy things to do. The one new thing I will be doing is taking a tour at Koaloha. Brian, the customer service person, said that he'll try to have a Long Neck Pineapple available for me to try out and possibly buy. I can't wait.

I was wondering for those who live in the neighborhood, is there anything going on, new or relatively unknown that would be interesting to do. Any festivals for example, or just any local event that one would not normally know about. Any suggestions would help.

Check out : http://www.hnlnow.com/ You must go to Wailoa shaved ice on Kapahulu :), way better than Matsumoto's. While on Kapahulu, check out Rainbow Drive In, Ono Hawaiian food and Leonard's Malasada's :shaka:

Here's some places that Local's go for music: Aku Bone, Chiko's Tavern, Higher Ground music cafe (owned by the Kitakis Ohana of Ko'olau uke's)Ukulele Keaka held the last Friday of each month. If you want to listen to the top recording artist, then go to Chai's Island Bistro at the Aloha Tower.

Good Luck, have a cold San Miguel beer for me

Enjoy the trip, while it's not Ukulele related, one of my favorite trips is to take H3 out of Honolulu, sorry for forgetting the names of the cities, but they have a Marine base on that side of the island. The most specatular thing for me was the drive on H3 to that part of the island. Not much to see in the middle of the island but then you go through a tunnel and WAM! Beautiful coast line, lush green cliffs, it's breath taking....

Enjoy the trip and Ukulele tour...
Its Kaneohe Marine corps base, and Kailua is also over there, always rated in the top 10 beaches in the US. Windward Mall has ukulele gatherings every week, and its usually a local musician giving a lesson or strum along session. I'll find the link for you.

No Sunday would be complete without going to Duke's. Also, have breakfast above Duke's at the Hula Hut, the best crabcakes eggs benedict, and mango mimosas. Then hang out at the beach all day, rent a surf board, paddle out to pops, then come back in play your uke, then hit up Dukes once the crowd starts pouring in. Ah, I miss that place.

You'll love the windward side of the island . . . maybe you can have lunch with MGM . . .

Thank you for all the suggestions. You guys all rock:rock:

My bags are packed and just counting down the hours... can't wait. I'll post up some pictures especially if I buy a Uke:D

Top Bottom