Kala Kiwi Soprano Review

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here is my first YouTube Review... It is for the Kala Kiwi Soprano. I was having a hard time finding info on this before I bought it. Couldn't find any reviews, so here is mine. Mike Upton at Kala gave me all the details for this review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6RfRzMW1t0

–Lori

Thank you for this review! I've always wanted to know more about these ukes without actually having to buy one.

now, of course, I may have to!:)

Great review - that uke looks and sounds terrific!

Where did you get it? The ones I've seen online don't seem quite as nicely built, with no binding on the sides and a non-glossy finish. I'm partial to the watermelon model, but your Kiwi looks great!

Great review - that uke looks and sounds terrific!

Where did you get it? The ones I've seen online don't seem quite as nicely built, with no binding on the sides and a non-glossy finish. I'm partial to the watermelon model, but your Kiwi looks great!

I bought my Kiwi on ebay from musicguymic. It came with a lightweight gig bag, and makes a very small object to carry along! I was impressed with how such a small (and relatively inexpensive) instrument could sound so good. I have been playing it much more than I expected I would. It's my first soprano, and I have been getting used to the smaller scale. As a long time guitarist, I didn't know if I could ever "get that small" with my fingering. But, it is really working out well.

The watermelon one has a gloss finish on the soundboard, and matte finish everywhere else. The quality of finish on the Kiwi is excellent, and I really like the glossy look.

–Lori

Last edited:
Excellent review

Although I think that was an excellent review, I wish you hadn't posted it...because now I want one.:p

Seriousely...excellent job. Very informative.

Thanks guys!

I got this lightweight gig bag with mine (ebay musicguymic), and it makes it very easy to bring this uke with you. The padding is minimal, but the protection is enough to keep it from getting banged up if you're careful. And it is so much smaller than my soprano hard cases. You might not be able to see it in the photo, but the depth is only about 3 inches on Kiwi's bag... that's 2 inches less than the one next to it.

–Lori

Attachments

• kiwi_gig_bag.jpg
    kiwi_gig_bag.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 32
  • two_sop_cases.jpg
    two_sop_cases.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 21
Great review Lori. Loved the video. The mando looks and sounds great! I have that same gig bag for my Kiwaya. I prefer the padded to the HSC for the same reason.

That's such a cute little uke and I was curious as to how it sounded. Thanks for the great review!

I got this lightweight gig bag with mine (ebay musicguymic), and it makes it very easy to bring this uke with you. The padding is minimal, but the protection is enough to keep it from getting banged up if you're careful. And it is so much smaller than my soprano hard cases. You might not be able to see it in the photo, but the depth is only about 3 inches on Kiwi's bag... that's 2 inches less than the one next to it.

–Lori

I really want one of these Kala Kiwi's or the pineapple silk-screened one, but I don't know if I should buy it from MGM or my local music store. The prices are roughly around the same (costs a little less at the local store and I get it instantly). I am wondering, is MGM's set-up and tweaking detrimental to making the uke~ sound better than something out of the box? If all I have to do is change the strings, then I may just go to the local store and pick one up :)

What did MGM do to your Kiwi that makes it stand out from the ones I get from the store and play out of the box?

Thanks for the review ^___________^

bump for this question! b/c i'm interested in getting one too, but since i'm abroad, i would like to get it from my local dealer if i can without paying for all that shipping.

If you have a Kiwi Kala locally, take a look at the comfort of the action (the distance the strings are from the fingerboard–your fingers shouldn't hurt after playing a few minutes... and no buzzing). If it feels comfortable, and the edges of the frets smooth, then go ahead and get it locally. I think MGM Mike checks the intonation too, so you might check out the tuning at the 12th fret. I bought a Makala Dolphin from a local store, without a shop for set-up, and it was pretty good right out of the box. I just put some Aquila concert strings on it and it was fine. I also bought two other Kalas from a local music store, and they have been fine. I don't know if they had to do any set-up, but my guess is that Kala comes pretty close to being set-up from the factory.
A uke in the hand is better than a uke in the mail.
–Lori

Loved the review, and also the link to the tab book, which is absolutely awesome. (Working on "Home On The Range", my Daddy's favorite song, as I write!)

I have the watermelon, btw, and love mine too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you have a Kiwi Kala locally, take a look at the comfort of the action (the distance the strings are from the fingerboard–your fingers shouldn't hurt after playing a few minutes... and no buzzing). If it feels comfortable, and the edges of the frets smooth, then go ahead and get it locally. I think MGM Mike checks the intonation too, so you might check out the tuning at the 12th fret. I bought a Makala Dolphin from a local store, without a shop for set-up, and it was pretty good right out of the box. I just put some Aquila concert strings on it and it was fine. I also bought two other Kalas from a local music store, and they have been fine. I don't know if they had to do any set-up, but my guess is that Kala comes pretty close to being set-up from the factory.
A uke in the hand is better than a uke in the mail.
–Lori

Lori, first thanks for the review. Second, thanks for your brief statement about the Dolphin. It is indeed pretty good right out of the box. As a fan of slightly higher action esp. on budget ukes, the tone, even with GHS strings wasn't bad. The Aquilas are IMO the most important part of the equation, at least for me.

The Kiwis are another great value. Mike Upton should hire you...at least on a contractual basis.

Last edited:
Loved the review, and also the link to the tab book, which is absolutely awesome. (Working on "Home On The Range", my Daddy's favorite song, as I write!)

I have the watermelon, btw, and love mine too.

Thanks!
hey! I was about to get the Pineapple until I saw the Watermelon online. What's the paintjob on the watermelon like? I've seen a lot of images on Google and the red part of the watermelon doesn't look very consistent to me. Any idea where I could find one which ships to Australia as well? I can't seem to find any seller who ships the watermelon internationally.

Hi Kevin
You might check with Kala's website http://www.kalaukulele.com/, and see if they can direct you to someone who could send you a watermelon one internationally. I have only seen the watermelon once in person, and I think, as it is with the Kiwi design, the graphic is a screened decal rather than painted on. My memory is that it had a realistic look to the watermelon more than symbolic, if you know what I mean. I have seen versions where the back is matte, and others where it is shiny. So, it depends on what details are coming from the factory at the moment, I think. Many of the photos I see online make the colors look brighter/more vibrant than they are in person.
Hope that helps.
–Lori

Top Bottom