Video help, please

MrsMeyerMusic

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this and I haven't found the info elsewhere, so if it gets moved, so be it.

I am new to the youtube recording scene. What do you guys use to edit your videos? How do I do one where I am playing/singing more than one part at a time?

I am sorry to say I have no easy answer to you on my part.
I use Sony vegas to capture picture, and I use cubase (music program) to record the sound. Then I dubb the sound to the picture.
When singing more then one part at the time I pass the question to some other member. But I would just record different soundtracks in cubase I guess.

Did it make sense? I guess not. :)

What kind of computer? If you have an iMac try garage band or iMovies. The new iLife09 is supposed to let you do a split screen with garage band and iMovie. THat's the sum total of my knowledge. Good luck. You and LonnaB will beat me to a video.

We have Audacity. So basically people record the other parts on that and turn that on in the background while they do the other part? (if that makes sense...)

We have Audacity. So basically people record the other parts on that and turn that on in the background while they do the other part? (if that makes sense...)

The first take should be your "backbone." All other parts are played along with the backbone.

You should wear headphones for each overdub (layer). Doing so prevents audio bleed from one track to another.

You video yourself playing each part, and then edit the all the takes together.

I'm not sure what video software you're going to be using. If it allows separate video and audio tracks, you should have your finished audio, overdubs and all, as a separate audio track.

Your video track should just be video.

It's not too hard. The tedious part is making sure the videos line up with the audio. If you have any specific questions, let us know.

Here's where I'm at:

I recorded a video using my Logitech Quick Cam. I'd like to add another instrumental part to it. Do I need to record another video of that part or do I just record the audio on Audacity? Also, the only program I know to edit it all with is Windows Movie Maker- never used that before.

Here's where I'm at:

I recorded a video using my Logitech Quick Cam. I'd like to add another instrumental part to it. Do I need to record another video of that part or do I just record the audio on Audacity? Also, the only program I know to edit it all with is Windows Movie Maker- never used that before.

You'll have to get the audio of your performance into Audacity. I'm a Mac guy, so I don't know how one would go about doing that on a PC. Somehow you have to strip the audio track from the video and open that in Audacity.

Once it's in Audacity, you'll have to create another track for your second instrumental part. Record your new instrumental part in this track while listening to the first part with headphones. The headphones aren't absolutely necessary, but I would suggest them. If you don't wear them, you will have the audio from the first track "bleeding" onto the audio from the second, new track. This is not ideal. You want your audio as clean as possible.

You don't have to film yourself playing this second track, but if you want to, you can. That way you'll have more than one video source to choose from when editing your video. You can cut back and forth between both.

Once you're done recording/filming your second instrumental part, you have to edit the whole thing together in Windows Movie Maker. Again, I'm a Mac guy, so I don't know how that program works.

I can tell you how I would do it in iMovie, though.

First, I would import both video takes into iMovie. I would then import the finished audio into iMovie.

In iMovie, there are 3 parallel timelines. One for video and two for audio. I would use one timeline for my finished audio.

Now I would start building my movie along the video timeline. I would choose which parts from my video takes to include into my movie and copy and paste them into the timeline. The hardest part here is making sure the video lines up (syncs) with the audio. I nudge the video back and forth until it's perfect.

When I'm satisfied with my video, I export it using these specs:

Compression: H.264
Quality: High
Frame Rate: 30
Key Frame Rate: 24
Bitrate: 2000 kbits/sec
Frame Reordering: yes
Encoding Mode: Multi-Pass

Audio Compression: AAC
Sample Rate: 48.000 kHz
Channels: Stereo
Bit Rate: 192

I use a BOSS BR 900 to lay down individual tracks. This allows me to layer different ukulele tracks, and other instruments into a single song. At that point I upload these tracks onto my MAC and then import each track into Garageband. In Garageband I am able to add or mute additional tracks and instruments as needed, as well as tweak how each track sounds. When I like the mix. I make the mp3 of the song.

For making a video I shoot the musicians or have others film me playing. In order to make the video merge with the music it's best to use headphones and play along with the original song. At that point I use Imovie. I upload the many different music clips that have been filmed, and create the video by cutting, pasting, and adjusting the clips to match the audio component of the song.

Very addicting.

Top Bottom